For TV, will THX Optimode do it or do I need AVIA/VE?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andy Kim, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Andy Kim

Andy Kim Second Unit

Hello,

As I await the arrival of my new TV in store, I've been thinking of calibration.

I've got a few discs with THX Optimode (the latest being Romeo and Juliet: SE). Ideally I would like to avoid buying Avia or VE as they are pricey in Toronto.

My question is: Will the THX Optimode video tests be sufficient to calibrate my new TV or will those other discs have tests that will really make for more improvements?

Thanks,

Andy

PS. Does anyone know where I would be able to rent one in Toronto (ideally somewhere in Scarborough).

2. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

The THX optimodes are for that particular DVD only. A "universal" calibration with AVIA or VE is higly recommended.

The THX optimodes may be better than no calibration. See if you can get blue and red filters for color and tint settings. I think THX will mail you a free blue filter.

3. Jefe Noche

Jefe Noche Stunt Coordinator

I calibrated my set with a combination of the THX Optimode (Moulin Rouge), copying other's settings, and my eye.
    Then I went and bought AVIA and found that my settings were almost dead on!!!!
    However, I would recommend purchasing (or renting/borrowing) AVIA. It has alot of cool information on it and it supplies color filters.
    And who knows? Maybe I just got lucky in my initial settings [​IMG] .

4. ChrisGlass

ChrisGlass Auditioning

Hi Andy,
    I, myself have been trying to find the AVIA or VE disks. The ones I have found are bloody expensive. I did manage to find a copy of the Sound and Vision set up disk, which is based on the Avia disk (uses the same tests). I found it a Future Shop. I hope this info helps. Have you had any luck at finding a SPL meter in Toronto? Went to Radio Shack and all the had was the digital one at $110.00. I asked the sales guy about analog ones, but he said that they discontinued carrying them for about 2 years[​IMG]

5. Derek Miner

Derek Miner Screenwriter

6. Andy Kim

Andy Kim Second Unit

Hello,

Thanks for all the answers. How is the Sound and Vision calibration disc by the way? Do you recommend it over THX Optimode?

As for the SPL meters, for some reason Radioshack in Canada discontinued the analog meters while its still being sold in the states.

7. Hakan Powers

Hakan Powers Stunt Coordinator

I picked up one of the analog ones at radio shack in september.

8. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

Altho the site appears to be down at the moment. Go to ezdvd.com.au I picked up VE (non region encoded) from this Aussie site for less then $20 shipped. Had it within a week of my order. They do not have Avia tho :-(
    EDIT**** It is out of stock today, but here is the direct link for it: http://www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/2469/id=NxlFA:gwPph

9. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

I just bought my SPL meter (analog) at Radio Shack less than three months ago, so you can still get one.

I'd also highly recommend either VE or Avia. I have VE, & it has made a big difference in my viewing & listening pleasure.

Calvin