For those with the Scientific Antlanta HD cable box

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Evelio Figueroa, Jul 13, 2003.

1. Evelio Figueroa

Evelio Figueroa Second Unit

Talk to your cable company and see if they have the Pace DC550 HD box. If they do, trade the SA model for the Pace!! You'll love it!

The specs are here.

I have my unit which can be seen here.

Compared to the SA model, you can use the digital audio outputs for non-digital channels, and you can still see a HD picture while using the guide.

2. Grady

Grady Extra

Does the Pace unit impact the quality of the picture, over the SA 3100HD, or just give you more features? On a 16x9 set does the Pace display 4x3 with black or gray side bars?

3. Evelio Figueroa

The Pace gives you more features over the SA 3100HD model.

If you don't like the black/gray bars on the sides of a 4X3 picture, you can stretch it to fit a 16X9 and zoom in.

Also the remote can turn on/off your receiver and control the volume.

4. Michael St. Clair

Is it capable of outputting the SD channels as 480i/480p instead of 1080i?

5. Evelio Figueroa

6. Evelio Figueroa

You'll also like the "loop-through" feature. You can hook up a DVD player using component inputs on the PACE. It also has optical/coaxial inputs. The "loop-through" works when the Pace is turned off.

7. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

Will it let us poor slobs with 4:3 HDTV's (there are a few of us!) watch SDTV content full screen thru the HD output, or will it be windowboxed in the center of the screen?

8. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Hopefully TWC Austin got some of these, it sounds great.

9. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

Thanks for the headds-up Evilio! I'll be sure to do this. The new one appears to fix ALL of my concerns with the current!

10. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

Well, I called TWC here and of course they just blathered about how they were 'adding content' yadda yadda... it was obviously a canned response, he didn't seem to know anything about a box changeout, but didn't rule it out.

11. Michael St. Clair

Apparently there is a Pioneer STB in testing here in Cincinnati, it includes aspect-ratio and scanrate control.

12. Evelio Figueroa

13. peter m. wilson

peter m. wilson Stunt Coordinator

Hi Evelio,

I don't know whether you have a "significant other" but it warms my heart to see what was heretofore the Master Bedroom as your HT.

I have the Tosh 65h80 and we live in a condo so I convinced my wife that by using the MB as tht HT she wouldn't be giving up her living room to that monter tv.

I'm in Toronto and get HD through Rogers cable which either rents or sells the SA3100hd.

I have the Denon 5800/03 (upgraded with Denon link) and use the HOLO3D vid scaler so I have all 480i based equipment going into the scaler which is a pci computer card and use the component dongle of the ATI8500dv to send all but the HD signal(connected component from 3100hd directly to tv not through the Denon)

As you can see I don't have any connectivity issues so I'm trying to wrap my mind around what the Pace would do for me.

BTW are you into HIREZ music yet? I was looking at your speaker setup and wondering if you were going to add a surrond B as well as the effects pair?

Peter m.

I was hoping a new decoder would come with a pvr!! even if the hdcp dnrezed to 480p i could record my golf on saturday afternoon while i'm out playing.

14. Evelio Figueroa