For those with LD, could you help me out?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Justin Bauer, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Justin Bauer

Justin Bauer Supporting Actor

I have had a Laserdisc player for about a year now. I bought it used off of Ebay and it works just great. Recently, I picked up a few LDs and today when I went to watch one, I noticed the the picture had these small flecks running across the screen. It looked kinda like a VHS tape at times with the flecks running over the picture and the widescreen bars.

It has been at least 6 months since I last watched a LD on the player, but I never remember these flecks before. There was ALOT of dust in the tray and I cleaned it out before use. My question is; do any of you have the same problem with your LD players? Do you think it could be a connection? An degrading LD? Or just my player getting older?

Any help you guys can offer would be great. Thanks.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Sometimes the speckling is indicative of LD rot. Do your other LDs that didn't exhibit this speckling in the past exhibit the same clean LD playback now?

3. greg_t

greg_t Screenwriter

Patrick is probably right. Sounds like laser rot. Like patrick said, try out the other titles and see if they do the same. Laser rot usually looks like colored snow speckles. What LD is it that is doing this?

4. Justin Bauer

It is the Lawrence of Arabia Criterion Edition...I am going to try my other LDs really quick to see if they have it.

5. Justin Bauer

Alright, I tried my copy of Wyatt Earp the Extended version. There were no specks to be seen. So you guys are probably right, it must be the laser rot.

6. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

Not that you have any recourse, but you might want to check the DADC marking on the afflicted LD to determine if it was pressed at the Terra Haute,IN. DADC/Sony site using the procedure detailed here

If it does match, then I'm not surprised that it is rotting. Most of the LDs in my collection that exhibited rot ( including the Columbia Tri-Star release of Lawrence of Arabia ) were pressed at this site.

- Walter.

7. stan hiller

stan hiller Extra

When my much prized copy of the Star Wars special edition laserdiscs (disc three, empire strikes back) started showing the aforementioned signs, I automatically assumed that the dreaded rot had made its appearance and as one of my favourite discs - Airforce One has been rendered near unplayable with this malady, assumed that TESB was next, however, after cleaning with a soft, dust free cloth found that the speckles disappeared!
    Unfortunately, airforce one is a lost cause so before assuming the worst, make sure that the disc has been cleaned before reaching a conclusion.

8. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Either disc rot or dirt which was trapped between the discs in the pressing. (if it's the later there's nothing you can do about it, if it's the former it will problably get worse.

9. Justin Bauer

The disc was not made in Terra Huate according to the markings. I wiped the LDs down with a soft cloth and discovered a layer of dust on them. When played, the flecks disappeared.