for those who think wont get upgraditis in the next 5 years...what is your system?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by felix_suwarno, Sep 15, 2002.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

Dec 2, 2001
    i am just curious. is it possible not to be caught by upgraditis ?
  2. Lyle Schenher

Feb 8, 1999
    Hi, mine seems to be in remission... I won't say I'm cured, but it is interesting when you get to a point where any single upgrade will probably cause a significant cascade to get the rest of the system to the same level.

1. My HT receiver is currently an Onkyo Integra DTR-7.
    I use a 2 channel NAD receiver as a pre-amp for my Klipsch La Scala Mains and the power amp section of the NAD to power my Klipsch THX KT-LCR center channel. A Denon POA-2800 power amp powers my mains. I use a panasonic dvd rp91 progressive scan player connected via component video to an ISF calibrated 61" Toshiba RPTV. My set has be customized so that when displaying HDTV signals it is a 56" widescreen. (Complete redo of the geometry on the HD mode to properly display HD material without stretching).

So where does that leave me:

1. I have a pseudo separates setup (My mains, and center have separate amplification from my surrounds).
    2. I have a reasonably large display of very good picture quality that can display HDTV and Progressive Scan DVD well.
    3.I have a reasonable subwoofer (15" Klipsch KT-SW15) 250 W onboard amp, front firing passive radiator design.
    4. I have a THX select receiver that can decode DD, and DTS 5.1 and that has a 5 channel analog stereo mode that works well for casual music listening.
    5. I have a discrete 2 channel pre-amp/tuner in the NAD that while vintage, sounds nice for 2 channel listening.
    6. My setup is capable of playing DVD-Audio via the Panny DVD player.

If I was to fire on an upgrade I'd be probably heading into the following path, and at this point I'm not sure that I want to get into it:

1. Upgrade audio to: Separates with 7.1 capability.
    Probably Rotel 1055 receiver as a replacement for my Integra/NAD combo, and re-use my Denon Amp for the mains.
    Or Outlaw 950 combined with new 5 channel amp in a 7.1 setup.
    2. Upgrade the Subwoofer to SVS or equivalent.
    3. Upgrade the display to either a 65" widescreen TV, or to a front projection setup.

I'm north of the border, so anyway I look at this I'm thinking of a $10,000 investment or more to get the whole setup kicked to the next level. (~6,000.00 US: $2,000 Audio, $3500.00 new RPTV, $750.00 SVS)

I'm really happy with the level of balance in my setup right now, no single component is a glaring weak link in the chain, rather the setup I have today, has inspired the following quotes:

1. "I've never seen an RPTV that had a picture that good before".
    2. "I've never heard a movie so "LOUD and CLEAR" before. (After a reference level demo of Pearl Harbour battle scene).

I know that this may be heresy here, where there is a constant stream of threads about the wonderful world of upgrades, but sometimes we need to compare our setups to our friends and family, and realize that our setups as they are are pretty darn great ...

My brother just got his first DVD player (Tosh 3109), and hooked it up to his 32 " tv. He's tickled pink with the improvement over the VCR his wife took out the door when they separated...

3. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

Mar 16, 2002
    Im going to bet that a big reason why most of us(not all) come to this forum is to see what the latest and greatest are and how they perform, including me[​IMG] I wish I could say I am not upgrading anytime soon but I think for most of us its inevitable[​IMG] No matter how thrilled you are with your system there is always room for improvement no matter how many hundreds or thousands you have spent, plus new technology keeps rearing its ugly head[​IMG] For me It started out shopping for a big screen tv and 12k later whalla! a formidable ht that can hold its own against some higher priced systems. I continue to be blown away every day by how good my system sounds and looks, and I enjoy coming here and reading the mags but lets face it to not get caught up in all the hoopla and wonder "jez I wonder how that piece would sound in my system" is very tempting this is exactly what the manufactures try and do and succed. I dont mean to generalize here because I know there are a few who will say there systems are perfect but lets face it you will get bit eventually[​IMG]
    my system:
    Pioneer elite 49tx reciever (pre-pro)
    parasound 2205 thx ultra amp
    paradigm studio 100s v2
    paradigm studio cc
    mirage 595is towers (surrounds)
    jbl (rear surrounds)
    mits 65819 hd tv
    panasonic rp 91 (dvd player)
    custom house interconnects
    kimber kable speaker wire
    svs 20-39+ subwoofer
  4. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

Jan 22, 2000
    I'm cured...I found other interests; haven't bought HT hardware for almost a year now. 'Cept now I'm thinking that I want a new pre-pro...hmmm, that Rotel looks reeeeally nice. [​IMG]
  5. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

Jun 20, 2000
    I am pretty much past the need to upgrade. The last piece I bought was about a year ago, a Toshiba DVD player to replace my old Sony so I could play DTS soundtracks. I have a 13 year old Mitsubishi RPTV that will probably have to be replaced in the next five years, because it probably won't live that long. Otherwise, I have Thiel CS 3.6s for my mains, which are going nowhere. I want to point out that next February, they will be 10 years old, which makes them the best relationship of my life. I power them with an Aragon 4004II which is about 7 years old. I don't expect that going anywhere either. I am using a Pioneer VSX-26TX as a head unit and to power the other channels, which very possibly will be changed in the next 5 years, but I'm not really itching.
  6. john_focal

john_focal Agent

Aug 22, 2002
    I would imagine that most people that get hit with upgrade-itis are very similiar to me.... people that spend a relatively low amount of money on thier system (roughly 1200 w/o the cost of the TV), then discovered how much better things can be.
    In other words, I can certainly envision myself with a far better system than what I have now, and will get significantly better performance. There does come a point, I imagine, where your bang for the buck begins to fly out the window, and it becomes almost prohibitively expensive to make your system better.
    Having said that, I fully intend to make my NEXT system last a very long time [​IMG] I think my wife would kill me otherwise, heh.
  7. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

Jan 8, 2000

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

May 16, 2001
    Patrick McCart
    I just was handed down a 36" Sony TV from my father. He had just bought a 43" HDTV, so I got this one.

Before that, I had a 20" RCA.

The other equipment I had before is the same...

DVD: SD-1600 Toshiba
    Sound System: Kenwood VR-409
    Speakers: Sony 5.1 system (4 satellite speakers, 1 double-size of satellites speaker, and a good subwoofer)
    Dish Network WEB-TV receiver
    Sony 4-head stereo hi-fi VCR (excellent quality)

The only change I'd like to make is to get 2 more cheap DVD players (heck, even used) so I can show a trailer and a cartoon (or short subject) before a feature.

I love re-creating an old-time movie theater experience.