TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
For me streaming is for TV shows and Movies I have no interest in ever owning. They are disposable like Kleenex. Anything more substantial that I want in my collection must be a real tangible disc that I can see and touch, not just a "right" to have access to. I would never pay money for such ephemera. I have probably about 1 or 2 hundred digital downloads from Blu rays I have bought. I have never watched any of them.

OLDTIMER

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ken S-B
I would probably spend hours on deciding what to watch if I had that many films.
I had the same problem but I now run "festivals". I select a topic or an artist and run a series night by night. For example, I just had a Bette Davis fest, and before that an Eddy-and-MacDonald fest, a Marylin Monroe fest, a 1920s' Gangster fest. et al.

Blu Eye

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Carl
I had the same problem but I now run "festivals". I select a topic or an artist and run a series night by night. For example, I just had a Bette Davis fest, and before that an Eddy-and-MacDonald fest, a Marylin Monroe fest, a 1920s' Gangster fest. et al.
Sounds like a good idea!

Probably wise to not run a Samuel Jackson or Nicolas Cage fest though. :thumbs-up-smiley:

Ejanss

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Yes, if I pay $20, it's for a disc. However, if I only pay $5, it's rare that Amazon (or anyone else) will send me a disc. I have set personal price ceilings for discs and streaming versions of films. Right now, I almost always wait until a disc drops under $18 for a single film before I will buy it. I used to have a $10 ceiling for 4K streams, but I've lowered it to around $7. For HD streams, I am willing to pay no more than $5.

We seem to have this same discussion ad nausem around here. Both discs and streaming have their pros and cons, and we still seem to battle the same misconceptions about streaming, too (purchases will disappear, video quality can only be good if you have a 1Gb Internet connection, etc.).
Two big, BIG problems in communication kept Digital VOD artificially alive with tech-illiterate studios for literally years longer than its profits suggested it should:

1) Nobody knew the difference between Digital VOD (ie. Vudu) and Streaming (Netflix/Amazon), and literally didn't know which one they were talking about--Especially since you watched one of your bought movies on a stream. Key point, though, was that there was a difference between paying $12 for a month of free watching on Netflix and paying $10-20 for everything you wanted to watch. When one turned out to be more sellable, industry articles cried "Digital is popular!...Just look at Netflix's profits!"

2) Digital rental actually did catch on, and bury Redbox, because it worked: If you cut the cord, you didn't need your cable's On-Demand to watch last-summer's recent movie you missed, you could rent it from Amazon for $5 (which was still cheaper than Blockbuster's old disk rentals), and if you didn't want to keep it, well, it was going to disappear in 48 hours anyway. While not a better idea than Netflix's old disk-by-mail, where you could just drop your disk in the front-door mailbox when finished, at least you didn't have to wait days for it to arrive.

...Did that mean we Loved Digital? No.
It just meant that customers tweaked the market of what the studios were selling into what the public wanted to buy, and it made money there.

Mark Booth

Premium
That's a lot of discs!!

I cannot ever imagine owning that many discs. There are not that many films I would want to watch again.

I would probably spend hours on deciding what to watch if I had that many films.

I was beginning to think my movie watching hobbie was becoming compulsive but you have changed my opinion on that now :biggrin:.
Compared to some others on here (past and present), I'm a rank beginner.

Mark

• Haha
Reactions: Detour (1945)

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megabyzus