titch

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Let's not forget the pleasure & privilege of actually owning a film, having a hard copy sitting on your shelf, just like a book. In the "olden days", you had to be rich or some Hollywood mogul to be able to do that. Of course younger people will just take that for granted (like mobile phones & the internet), but I can't, it's still a big deal to me.
I've been projecting films at home from VHS and laserdiscs since the early 1990's. But the feeling of owning a film and having a private screening room, like Hugh Hefner, Norma Desmond or Martin Scorsese, only really came to the fore for me three years ago, with my first 4K projector. Now, almost any home-viewing is superior to a cinema. Just saw Portrait Of A Lady On Fire at home, earlier this week. It was one of the last films I saw at the cinema before the pandemic struck. At home, the sound quality was superior to the cinema. If the disc had been in 4K, it might have been a slightly better picture, but the viewing experience, close up to the screen, was completely immersive.

Almost any classic film, which has undergone a 4K restoration and scan, is probably akin to owning an original nitrate print. I saw the BFI La Belle et la Bete, from the 2013 restoration last night. It was so superior to the Criterion, and so pristine. The only thing I really lack, is my own butler.

Blu Eye

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Carl
Including the HD DVDs and some DVDs that are in the overflow room, I currently have about 1,600 films on disc. I have just under 600 films in iTunes. Most of them are duplicates of what I own on Blu-ray. But about 70 or so are films I own on HD DVD or DVD. A handful are films I don't own on any physical media.

Mark
That's a lot of discs!!

I cannot ever imagine owning that many discs. There are not that many films I would want to watch again.

I would probably spend hours on deciding what to watch if I had that many films.

I was beginning to think my movie watching hobbie was becoming compulsive but you have changed my opinion on that now :biggrin:.

Reactions: JackieT

Blu Eye

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Carl
Let's not forget the pleasure & privilege of actually owning a film, having a hard copy sitting on your shelf, just like a book. In the "olden days", you had to be rich or some Hollywood mogul to be able to do that. Of course younger people will just take that for granted (like mobile phones & the internet), but I can't, it's still a big deal to me.
It's something I don't take for granted.

I find it amazing of the privilege we have with "home theater".

The price of BDs and also 4k is very cheap considering the amount of pleasure and entertainment you get from it.

The comparison to older times is quite a contrast. It truly was a luxury to have home theater many moons ago.

Reactions: Jeffrey D and PMF

Blu Eye

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Carl
The problem I have with ethereal nature of access on streaming (full disclosure, I have Netflix and HBO Max, in addition to thousands of disc media) is not even related to "esoteric titles which will likely never be on streaming/digital platforms" - which by the way is not an insignificant number.

It's for popular titles which can be snatched away at a moment's notice. Want a recent real world example?

So Netflix acquires Cobra Kai. It becomes a huge hit. I notice that, back in August when I watched the first two seasons I couldn't stop talking about it to some younger coworkers (in their early 20s). They finally said "okay, we'll watch it and see what it's all about but I guess we'll have to watch the Karate Kid movies first" to which I agreed. Luckily, I told them, those are on Netflix as well (I had just re-watched the first one on Netflix after finishing Season 2 because I was too lazy to go get my disc out).

As younger folks do, they forgot, I followed up a few weeks later, and they said "oh yeah we were going to watch it, but those Karate Kid movies aren't on Netflix." I launched my service and, sure enough, they were gone.

Seminal 80s films (at least the first one) just disappeared from the platform, and they owned and were airing the highly popular episodic followup series to those films.

I imagine that's happened a lot. I don't pay attention as 99% of the time I just get my disc out for movies I want to watch. But it's ironic that the one time I needed the streaming platform to come through for me...

All's well that ends well, I loaned my KK disc to them. They loved it, and now they love Cobra Kai. Guess I'll have to loan then 2 and 3 in preparation for S3.
Too true! It will fluctuate more extremely going forward in my opinion.

And Cobra Kai is a brilliant TV show. I was very surprised when I watched the first series.

My thoughts were not positive about it before I gave it a try. Was expecting another 80s reboot, notsalgic and trashy experience.

They have done an amazing job with the characters and story line and bringing it all into the 21st century. A good balance and the humour is great.

• Agreed
Reactions: Detour (1945)

Blu Eye

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Carl
While streaming is all right if you're into DC/Marvel movies, Die Hard, Indiana Jones, recent movies, brand movies etc., for some of us die hard film fanatics with less mainstream taste, it's not an option. Would I have access to these films and TV productions (to name a small handful) that are in my film library on streaming platforms? Just askin'.

Affairs Of Susan (1945) with Joan Fontaine.
Africain (1983) with Catherine Deneuve.
Bear Island (1979) with Donald Suthrland.
Bonheur (1935) with Charles Boyer.
Bottom Of The Bottle (1956) with Van Johnson.
Caesar And Cleopatra (1976) with Alec Guinness.
Caroline Cherie
(1951) with Martine Carol.
Corrupt Ones (1967) with Robert Stack.
Crucible (1957) with Simone Signoret.
Devils (1971) with Vanessa Redgrave.
Doll's House (1973) with Jane Fonda.
Duel In The Jungle (1954) with Dana Andrews.
80,000 Suspects (1963) with Claire Bloom.
End Of The Game (1975) with Jon Voight.
L'Etrange Monsieur Steve (1957) with Jeanne Moreau.
Fireflies In The Garden (2008) with Julia Roberts.
Floods Of Fear (1958) with Howard Keel.
Gifle (1974) with Isabelle Adjani.
Gift Of Love (1958) with Lauren Bacall.
Glass Menagerie (1987) with Joanne Woodward.
Grand Bain (2018) with Mathieu Amalric.
Ideal Husband (1947) with Paulette Goddard.
Incorrigible (1975) with Jean Paul Belmondo.
Juno And The Paycock (1930) directed by Alfred Hitchcock.
L'Animal (1977) with Raquel Welch.
Lovers Of Verona (1949) with Anouk Aimee.
Madame DuBarry (1919) directed by Ernst Lubitsch.
Marie Antoinette (1955) with Michele Morgan.
Mayerling (1968) with Omar Sharif.
Meet Danny Wilson (1951) with Frank Sinatra
Memoirs Of A Survivor (1981) with Julie Christie.
Minute De Verite (1952) with Jean Gabin.
Napoleon (1927) directed by Abel Gance.
Paradis Perdu (1940) directed by Abel Gance.
Personal Affair (1953) with Gene Tierney.
Providence (1977) with John Gielgud.
Richard's Things (1980) with Liv Ullmann.
Scientific Cardplayer (1973) with Bette Davis.
Siege Of Pinchgut (1959) with Aldo Ray.
Simple Story (1978) with Romy Schneider.
Sons And Lovers (1960) with Trevor Howard.
Spoilers (1955) with Jeff Chandler.
Streetcar Named Desire (1984) with Ann Margret.
Sweet Body Of Deborah (1968) with Carroll Baker.
Tender Is The Night (1962) with Jennifer Jones.
Tokyo Tribe (2014) directed by Sion Sono.
Touch Of Love (1969) with Sandy Dennis.
Twisted Nerve (1968) with Hayley Mills.
The Visit
(1964) with Ingrid Bergman.
Walk With Love And Death (1969) with Anjelica Huston
Wedding Rehearsal (1932) with Roland Young.
I harboured the idea that my film taste catered more towards non mainstream movies.

Having seen that list it seems my taste is mainstream. :biggrin:

I have actually not heard of at least 90% of those films on your list. I watch a lot of films too.

However, I am a millenial and do lean more towards post 1980 movies.

• Haha

Ejanss

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
One of the big psychological factors studios (ahemwarner) ran up against in trying to sell Digital VOD was our hunter's territorialism:
If you pay $20 to Amazon, you want a BOX on your DOORSTEP.
Paying money to own something imaginary on the Internet is indistinguishable from paying for all those overpriced $20 gems and coins just to play an app-game.

• Agreed

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
One of the big psychological factors studios (ahemwarner) ran up against in trying to sell Digital VOD was our hunter's territorialism:
If you pay $20 to Amazon, you want a BOX on your DOORSTEP.
Paying money to own something imaginary on the Internet is indistinguishable from paying for all those overpriced $20 gems and coins just to play an app-game.
Yes, if I pay $20, it's for a disc. However, if I only pay $5, it's rare that Amazon (or anyone else) will send me a disc. I have set personal price ceilings for discs and streaming versions of films. Right now, I almost always wait until a disc drops under $18 for a single film before I will buy it. I used to have a $10 ceiling for 4K streams, but I've lowered it to around $7. For HD streams, I am willing to pay no more than $5.

We seem to have this same discussion ad nausem around here. Both discs and streaming have their pros and cons, and we still seem to battle the same misconceptions about streaming, too (purchases will disappear, video quality can only be good if you have a 1Gb Internet connection, etc.).

Personally, I own over 1,200 titles on various disc formats, and have close to 300 purchased digital titles (not including those that I have on both disc and streaming due claiming codes from disc purchases). Both formats have a place in my world.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
We seem to have this same discussion ad nausem around here. Both discs and streaming have their pros and cons, and we still seem to battle the same misconceptions about streaming, too (purchases will disappear, video quality can only be good if you have a 1Gb Internet connection, etc.).
It's like "Groundhog Day" with Bill Murray or "The Twilight Zone" with Rod Serling. That's why I'm sitting this round out! It's like what my old man used to tell me in my early adult years. "It's the same old shit and nothing ever changes."

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Right. None of my “purchased” films have ever disappeared. iTunes Amazon or Vudu.
And I don't think they ever will. Microsoft on the other hand is a different story. The only digital purchases (to own, not rent) I ever made that resulted in the content being unavailable. Even If I did have all of it for roughly eight years. I Still paid premium prices for the TV episodes, and movies I bought ($8 for TV episodes, and $20 for the movies).

I feel I should have at least been given a partial refund.

Reactions: Tino

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well, I just made my first digital-only purchase, Tales of Halloween, for $10 from Amazon. The blu is $20 and I kind of wanted to watch it tonight and the immediate options were either watch "free" with ads or pay for a 30-day rental. I figured I'd pay a few extra dollars and just buy it. We'll see how it goes.

Reactions: JackieT

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Well, I just made my first digital-only purchase, Tales of Halloween, for $10 from Amazon. The blu is $20 and I kind of wanted to watch it tonight and the immediate options were either watch "free" with ads or pay for a 30-day rental. I figured I'd pay a few extra dollars and just buy it. We'll see how it goes.
Ouch. I was NOT a fan of this one. Watched it as part of the Scary Movie challenge and was so disappointed. Hope you like it more than I did, either way, look forward to your write up in the Halloween thread :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ouch. I was NOT a fan of this one. Watched it as part of the Scary Movie challenge and was so disappointed. Hope you like it more than I did, either way, look forward to your write up in the Halloween thread :)
I've seen it once before and liked it well enough. We'll see now if it has any re-watchability.

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
It's like "Groundhog Day" with Bill Murray or "The Twilight Zone" with Rod Serling. That's why I'm sitting this round out! It's like what my old man used to tell me in my early adult years. "It's the same old shit and nothing ever changes."
The introductions of an HTF topic and discussion is always worthwhile but, in the end, the good Senior Crawford may ultimately be correct. In the final analysis, all forms of access to films remains important. Our preferences as to how we pursue said entertainments remains solely our own. Pros and cons are presented within a discussion; putting forth considerations that we may or may not have thought of beforehand; thereafter, forward we go, changed or unchanged. Either way, vive la difference

On a final note, I feel to be more liberated than trapped by my collection of physical media; that is, unless, Disney chooses not to release 20th Century-Fox titles on disc. Other than that; and contrary to the generosity of Thomas T; I do not loan out my discs, as those who stream may be sorely out of practice and place me at risk in the receiving of a returned item with scratches and a grotesquely giant thumbprint of thoughtless disregard.

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The introductions of an HTF topic and discussion is always worthwhile but, in the end, the good Senior Crawford may ultimately be correct. In the final analysis, all forms of access to films remains important. Our preferences as to how we pursue said entertainments remains solely our own. Pros and cons are presented within a discussion; putting forth considerations that we may or may not have thought of beforehand; thereafter, forward we go, changed or unchanged. Either way, vive la difference

On a final note, I feel to be more liberated than trapped by my collection of physical media; that is, unless, Disney chooses not to release 20th Century-Fox titles on disc. Other than that; and contrary to the generosity of Thomas T; I do not loan out my discs, as those who stream may be sorely out of practice and place me at risk in the receiving of a returned item with scratches and a grotesquely giant thumbprint of thoughtless disregard.
Oh, I never loan out discs, Philip. If they want to see it, they watch it when they visit. I've several friends (at least prior to the pandemic) who would come over for a double feature. We'd watch a movie (I always let the guest choose) then go to lunch/dinner and then return for the second feature. I haven't loaned out a disc since I loaned my laser disc of Romancing The Stone only to have it returned with the jacket shriveled from spilled coffee! :angry:

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]I haven't loaned out a disc since I loaned my laser disc of Romancing The Stone only to have it returned with the jacket shriveled from spilled coffee! :angry:
Such thoughtless audacity. I would’ve sucked up the cost and purchased an apologetic replacement.

I once lent out my Original Cast recording of “Sweeney Todd” to a neighbor. Their ever so important daughter had been given the lead in her high school production, so they came to me for a loaner; in all probabilities to learn how to imitate (or mutate) Ms. Lansbury’s Tony award winning performance. Months went by and I was in the mood to listen to the album. So I sauntered over to my neighbor’s house with nary an attitude of any sort within my drop-by visit. When the mother who borrowed the album had answered the front-door, she replied, “It’s somewhere boxed away in the attic. Can’t you just go and buy another?” Lesson learned; but never did I loan again.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
One of the few times I let anyone borrow anything from me, one of the Pirates of the Caribbean films, their dog got a hold of the case and chewed a couple holes in it.

• Sad
Reactions: PMF

PMF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
One of the few times I let anyone borrow anything from me, one of the Pirates of the Caribbean films, their dog got a hold of the case and chewed a couple holes in it.
Better Pirates of the Caribbean than the 70th Anniversary Boxed-Set of Casablanca; as those coasters are now priceless artifacts.;)

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Such thoughtless audacity. I would’ve sucked it up and purchased an apologetic replacement.

I once lent out my Original Cast recording of “Sweeney Todd” to a neighbor. Their ever so important daughter had been given the lead in her high school production, so they came to me for a loaner; in all probabilities to learn how to imitate (or mutate) Ms. Lansbury’s Tony award winning performance. Months went by and I was in the mood to listen to the album. So I sauntered over to my neighbor’s house with nary an attitude of any sort within my drop-by visit. When the mother who borrowed the album had answered the front-door, she replied, “It’s somewhere boxed away in the attic. Can’t you just go and buy another?” Lesson learned; but never did I loan again.
You should have asked to borrow their car.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Macoco