1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

For Those Who Still Think Physical Media Has No Place in the 21st century...

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Nick*Z, Nov 16, 2019.

1. breeezer

breeezer Agent

Bryce
    I wonder how many members of SAG, WGA, DGA, etc., etc., actually destroy their DVD screeners when awards season is over, as they promised to do before watching them? I'll bet not many.

2. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Very cool, Thomas, thanks for sharing those tidbits. I once had to make something crazy like a couple hundred DVD-R screeners that someone requested at the last moment for a congressional hearing that was happening the next day in an entirely different part of the country. I think I murdered the drive getting it done. But I’m afraid my packaging wasn’t nearly as fancy as what you’ve gotten. :)

3. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Lead Actor

Video games in the physical format have been decimated by digital purchases. With 83% of video game sales digital, and 17% physical.

Keep in mind that just 10 years ago, physical sales were at 80%, and digital 20%.
    https://www.statista.com/statistics/190225/digital-and-physical-game-sales-in-the-us-since-2009/

And people are saying that movies on disc have it bad (physical purchases still outsold digital through 2019). The video game industry is a bloodbath when it comes to physical sales.

BobO'Link, jcroy and Josh Steinberg like this.
  4. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    It seems clear to me that “How do you get the average consumer or majority of consumers to go back to purchasing physical media?” is the wrong question, because it seems pretty clear from all the sales data that the answer is an emphatic “you don’t.”

A more practical question might be, “What, if anything, can be done to give movies on disc a sustainable afterlife as a niche format for home theater enthusiasts the way vinyl is for music?”

Suzanne.S, Bryan^H and Sam Favate like this.
  5. Message #525 of 647 Jan 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    mrz7

mrz7 Second Unit

Scott Zuncic

Just an opinion here.....the topic on hand is about Physical Media having a place in the 21st century. Somehow the subject of "piracy" was interjected in the topic as one of the reasons for the decline in physical media. By no means am I advocating for people to do such an act, but "piracy" has been around long since the 70's and 80's with transferring music from Vinyl or CD to cassettes (as an example). The music business didn't start losing money until the Napster and the internet got involved. And even then... brick and mortar stores were still selling CDS and yes....even Vinyl too (even to this day, my local Target is still selling both). But than streaming music thru Itunes, Spotify and Amazon came along......that's what killed physical media in the music business industry....not "piracy"....."piracy" was a contributor to....but not the cause of physical media to go away.....streaming was.

As far as the video market, some of the same rules apply.....with VHS/LaserDiscs/DVD/Blu-Ray/4KBluRay......but this is somewhat of a different story. Formats kept changing (I just listed 5 different formats). The studios kept releasing the same movies ("Star Wars", "Die Hard", "Aliens" as some examples) over and over and over thru the different formats (and even sometimes within the same format) with whatever "extra" special features in whatever format it was released. In the example of Oldtimers making a backup of his laserdiscs, I think that was actually kind of smart. Why?.... because something like the Original Star Wars trilogy on how it was ORIGINALLY released in theaters was only in Laserdisc and VHS (as far as I remember). But over the years, the original Star Wars Trilogy has been changed so many times with edits, alternate versions to DVD and Blu-Ray.....but the Original Trilogy Theatrical Version has never made it to these formats. Fans been begging for this version to be on Blu-Ray....and now 4K.....but never has happened yet. So if, for example, Oldtimer had this on Laserdisc and transferred his backup to a DVD.....and least he had it on a somewhat updated format to play it on. Again, not advocating "piracy", but if the studios don't release something that was on another format, and can't get it to the updated format that the fans/consumers want....then that is a loss on there part because fans will find a way to get it. Now if Oldtimer was making and selling copies of the DVD (from his Laserdisc) on ebay, that would be a different story (that to me would be considered more of a piracy act)….not a backup of his collection to DVD that he later sold/gave away his original laserdiscs).

So with the different video formats changing and the multiple versions of the same movies on DVD and Blu-ray/4K that people kept buying over and over again and got burned out from buying them over and over again......along with now.... video streaming.....thru the same folks that did it in the music industry (iTunes and Amazon)...….that is why the decline in physical media is taking place. Again, "piracy" has been a contributor, but "piracy" has been around for a long time thru many years in both the music and video markets.....but isn't the real reason that physical media is dying......Streaming and exhausting physical media format changes is the cause. Just my two cents.

OLDTIMER likes this.
  6. ptb2017fr

ptb2017fr Stunt Coordinator

Paul Bale
    I still keep getting weird looks from people when I say how much better it is to see movies on a giant screen, and how I'm happy to drive an hour to get to a decent cinema! Then there can be the added bonus of seeing a movie with a good audience. I will never forget seeing Psycho with a full house, and the woman jumping up screaming "Dont Go Down there!" as Vera Miles started down the stairs near the end...

7. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    Hardcore console gamers will see through this immediately.

It will become the immediate butt of jokes and derision. ;)

That is unwanted bad publicity and outright poison in the advertising/marketing world.

8. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    VHS wasn't abandoned because a superior format came along - it was dropped because it was no longer profitable. If had VHS had consistently outsold DVD for fifteen years, it would never have been discontinued.

Brent Reid likes this.
  9. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    The law of course as they say is an ass! Also don't forget each country has different laws. Can you imagine the public outrage over some poor person who copied his own LPs to CD, sold the records and then got a big charge!?
    I have always felt completely safe in doing that as long as I did not start a business selling them. Also, I taught high school English for 34 years and we all agreed that if copyright was ever strictly enforced our courses would be impossible. Every time a novel was taught we showed a companion movie to the class, just bought at Best Buy or Future Shop -- and I won't even get into media classes. Again, we did not charge the kids to see it.

OLDTIMER and mrz7 like this.
  10. Nick*Z

Nick*Z Screenwriter

NICK
    Originality has not been a trademark of Hollywood for some time, regardless of the genre. The dearth is predicated upon a simple fundamental in the industry today. Namely, that in the old days, the studios were in a fierce competition with one another to outdo their competition. The moguls of yore, the Louis B. Mayers and Jack Warners wouldn't be caught dead 'aping' their rivals, but rather, finding their own creative niche to exploit and excel in. At Universal, as example, it was the horror pics, at WB - the gangster movie, at MGM, the musical, and so on.

Today, the studios are run by bean counters who make sense of the business through spread sheets. It needs to make money hand over fist to be considered good, instead of being good to make money hand over fist. So, one studio hits it out of the ballpark with a sci-fi movie and suddenly the rest are scrambling for their slice of that same market share. Their sci-fi pic need not be different - just somehow 'better' - more stars, bigger budget, better special effects, and so on. It's created a very homogenized look to movies in general - the streamlining not very intelligently done, but designed merely to make more of the same. And it's hard to see how the quality of movies has benefited since.

BobO'Link likes this.
  11. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    (As an aside).

If somebody truely believes that there is an evil "wizard behind the curtains" who planned on the destruction of VHS all along, there is nothing you or anybody else can say which would convince them otherwise.

Just let him/her continue on living in their own version of "Tomorrowland" in their own minds, right alongside the evil "wizard behind the curtains" at Sony/Paramount/Universal/Warner/Disney/LG/Pioneer/Panasonic.

:)

12. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    That evil "wizard behind the curtains" at Sony/Paramount/Universal/Warner/Disney/LG/Pioneer/Panasonic is currently planning to completely destroy 4Kbluray UHD discs and players.

:rock::popcorn:

That evil wizard has to be stopped!!!!

13. Sam Favate

Sam Favate Lead Actor

Sam Favate
    Yes to this, and while we are making blu-ray/UHD a niche format, can we also get the more elaborate packaging that DVD used to have? Not boxes of swag, but nice cases that contained booklets with liner notes, or sometimes replicas of theater programs or lobby cards. I'm thinking of the DVD packages for the Wizard of Oz, Lawrence of Arabia, Bridge on the River Kwai, the James Bond films, or (probably my favorite DVD package) The Concert for Bangladesh. Blu-ray and UHD are great and I wouldn't trade them, but they've always lagged behind in the package department. One reason people love vinyl is because of the package, which lets you enjoy the artwork, liner notes, lyrics, etc.

Suzanne.S and Jesse Skeen like this.
  14. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    Back in the day, this would have been a selling point to me.

Nowadays, this is simply not the case anymore when anybody can just google the lyrics (or partial lyrics) to many recorded songs. Also the material that would have made semi-interesting trivia in the liner notes back in the day, is nowadays most likely online fodder that the hardcore fans already know about from online rumors/gossip or already existing books.

15. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    As an example of liner notes which would be a great selling point for me back in the day, was the cd version of The Beatles Sgt Pepper. The notes discussed some of the details of the recording sessions and which takes were used for the final mixes on the album.

Fast forward to the present, I found a book (in the bargain bin at a nearby bookstore) which outlined the details of all the Beatles' recording sessions. So nowadays liner notes covering the recording session details, wouldn't be much of a selling point to me anymore.

16. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    Don’t forget, there was a set of the original Star Wars released on DVD with both versions included. The old version was issued as an extra and much criticized for being non-anamorphic.

mrz7 likes this.
  17. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    And despite those issues, they still look better than the laserdiscs.

mrz7 likes this.
  18. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    THIS was entirely deliberate and planned all along by the evil "wizard behind the curtain" at Sony/Paramount/Universal/Warner/Disney/LG/Pioneeer/Panasonic !!!

;)

Throw the hardcore Star Wars fans a bone every once in a while, to get them to keep on coming back. As along as there's extremely high pent up demand for the original unabridged versions of the original trilogy, the evil wizard knows very well that they can they can keep on dangling that "unabridged carrot" in perpetuity. (Rumor mongering all the time that there will be a dvd, bluray, 4Kbluray, 8Kbluray, holodeck, etc .... version of the unabridged version of the original trilogy).

:drum:

19. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    Still have mine that I bought from Best Buy. IMG_0557. IMG_0560.

mrz7, Bryan^H and jcroy like this.
  20. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    mrz7 and atcolomb like this.