For those who run their LFE/subs hot, what kind of dB peaks are you seeing?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronNWilson, Oct 22, 2001.

1. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

I often hear people talking about their phenomenal bass coursing through their body. Whenever you are describing that sort of bass I feel that those effects are around 120 dB peaks.
    Whenever I finally got an SPL meter I found out that I was listening 15 dB over reference, so now the bass is obviously much less pronounced when its at the lower volume settings.
    I guess whenever everyone tells me Im gonna go deaf listening at those volumes they knew what they were talking about (maybe im already going deaf [​IMG]). However now that bass slam isn't as pronounced I want to be able to get that "feel" of the bass back without having to go deaf.
    Is the only way to go about this to purchase another sub which can give the help at producing the subsonic frequencies at higher SPLs?
    Aaron

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Adding a second woof could help you. Remember, a subwoofer's output capability isn't linear. Here's an example...
    Let say you're running 1/3 octave tone bursts(16,20,25,31,40,50,63hz). At 90dB...they're all the same.(this wont happen, but just an example). you increase the input signal by a voltage that should correspond to a 10dB increase across the board and retake the SPL readings. This time you get,
    16hz/90
    20hz/93
    25hz/96
    31hz/99
    40,50,63hz/100
    You crank it up another 10,and see...
    16hz/90
    20hz/95
    25hz/98
    31/102
    40,50,63hz/110
    So the louder you push the subwoofer, the more the extension of the unit will be compromised! The more *boomer* the bass sounds. You may not feel like you're getting a *mule kicking you in the chest* feeling from the bass...so you think you need to crank it up even further.
    How large is your room?
    TV

3. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

Tom I don't have one of those subharmonic boosters, I wasn't quite sure if you were recommending getting one or not from your post.
    The room is 35'long x 15' wide with 10' ceilings = 5250 cubic feet.
    Aaron