For those who put Sony down.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Stelios, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Stelios

Stelios Stunt Coordinator

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Stelios,

Thanks for sharing the review site. Lots of good reviews in that article - in addition to the Sony.

3. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

Duh...

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    People dont put down the Sony ES series, they put down the DE series. The ES line is one of the most well-regarded recievers, where as the DE's are the total opposite.

So its not surprising the sony there got top marks.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The ES line is pretty good. Not on my personal list, but I feel they are competetive in their price range. Not the best DACs or overall sound, but their amp sections on the 3ES and 4ES perform very well.

6. Patrick CF

Patrick CF Auditioning

Nice read. Good to know that my 1000ES gets some respect. However, the DB790 which was reviewed is a discrete 6 channel amplifer, while my 1000ES is a 7 channel amplifier. Are they really the same machine, or are there other significant differences?

7. RolandM

RolandM Stunt Coordinator

Well the DA1000ES is pretty comparable to the DB790. Internally they would be nearly identical, I'm pretty sure.

The DA1000ES indeed does have 7 channel amplification v. 6ch on the DB790. I'm sure this is only an issue when driving more channels. One is that the DA1000ES would have an extra RCA input on the multi-channel analog in and the fact that you can use 7 channels. The other is that the receiver (DB790) was tested to put out 65Wx5 (8 Ohms, 1kHz, 5 channels driven). Now considering driving 6 channels, the power will probably drop a bit more; and, in the case of the DA1000ES the power will likely drop again going from 6ch driven to 7. But this is expected anyway so it isn't really a difference.

So no, I wouldn't say there are significant differences...

8. RolandM

RolandM Stunt Coordinator