For those who know who Steven Staynor was - an update

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vickie_M, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

I just found this. I post this here because I followed the sad Staynor story for years, since before the movie I Know My First Name is Steven, and perhaps others have too, and would want to know.

WARNING: If you don't know the story of Steven Staynor (and his brother Cary), it concerns kidnapping and child molestation. Steven Staynor's kidnapper has been arrested again. The link is to a news story about the arrest. Maybe they'll keep him in jail this time.

Parnell Arrested In Berkeley

I'm so numb with horror I can't even phrase a proper comment. 5 years. That's still mind-boggling to me. Only 5 years. Steven lost 7 years of his life. Then he lost it all. My heart goes out to the Staynor brother's parents.

2. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

3. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

I'm not familiar with California law, but I've heard that all kinds of lax laws were changed and tightened after all this. I doubt anyone could get off as easy nowadays. I can't begin to imagine the sheer outrage that was triggered by the short sentence. It outrages me now. I'm sure the laws were changed. I'd like to know myself which ones and how.

I don't have sympathy for Cary, what he did was horrifying and he deserves his punishment, but I can think of the "what ifs" involved in his life, and mull on how Parnell destroyed Cary's life too, and the lives of Cary's victims and their families. Who can say how Cary would have turned out if not for the emotional hoopla surrounding his brother's disapparance and reappearance, and fame, and death. Was Cary born to be a serial killer, or was something triggered the day Steven vanished? Who knows?

4. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Funny this should be posted after I answered the question in "Movies" under the question about 'most disturbing movie'.

5. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

Of course, I should have said "...mull on how Parnell destroyed Cary's life too, and the lives of Cary's victims and their families." I've just re-edited my post.

I've searched the net and haven't yet found anything specific about the laws that were changed, just vague references that several were.

6. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

7. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Vicky
    The SF Chronicle had a very indepth article mainly centered around the murders....about 3 full newspaper pages about a couple weeks ago.
    Normally I would find you the links, but I had a really rough day at work.
    I think it was a Sunday if that helps.
    What a depressing story on so many levels for so many people.
    Grant