For those who have heard them, how does Axiom compare against Paradigm Studio line?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChaseHanna, Jul 24, 2002.

1. ChaseHanna

ChaseHanna Stunt Coordinator

Well, while auditioning the Mini-Monitors at a local dealer I did something I really should not have done. I stepped into the Paradigm Reference room. The salesman had just installed a new Anthem amp and was listening to 7 channel music to see what he thought. I sat down and listened with him for a while. Let me tell you, that setup, Studio 100's, Studio 20's, Studio ADP, and a Servo 15 sounded incredible. So, I considered going for a pair of Studio speakers, mainly the 40's and an SVS sub for now and adding the other channels later.

For those of you who have heard both, how would the Axiom M22TI compare against the Studio 40? Both would be paired with an SVS 25-31PCi. The Studio sounded pretty good to me, but of course the price would be almost double. I know audio is completely subjective to each persons ears, I just would like to know what you think. How would the Axioms perform? The Paradigms really slammed, would the Axioms be able to fare as well? The imaging sounded good on the Paradigms but from the reviews I read thats where the Axioms shine. I guess what caught my attention was the bass output by the Paradigm bookshelves. While auditioning other brands I never saw this as much before. However, as catching as it sounded in the store, Im not sure that I would want to trade bass output for clarity since they will be paired with a sub anyway.

Anyway, let me know what you guys think. Man I really need to make a decision soon, my 3802 is just sitting here on the floor in its box pleading for me to give it some speakers.

2. ChaseHanna

Someone must have an opinion???

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    They don't stack up to the Studio line, IMO. I would put them somewhere between the Monitor line and Studio line, personally. I consider that a compliment to them, not a knock.

4. JohnRuggiero

JohnRuggiero Agent

If you are talking about the Axiom 80ti's then they are better then the paradigm studio 100's. the paradigm's are so laid back that the music does not hit you with the power and clarity that the Axiom 80ti's does. I have the Axiom 80ti's ( 2 pairs of them) and I love them.

5. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

6. BobRoulier

BobRoulier Second Unit

Imo the 100s really need at least 200 wpc to wake them up[​IMG] When I first got mine I was using a 100wpc reciever then I stepped up to a parasound 2205 220wpc and wow what difference it was like gettin a new speaker.
    Bob

7. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

I would put my money on Paradigm.

8. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Pardigms are not laid back. Perhaps it's a semantics situation here. If anything, Pardigm's are forward and very revealing speakers.

I can't comment on the Axiom's because I have not heard them, but Paradigm Studio speakers laid back? NO!!!!

9. Thomas F

Thomas F Stunt Coordinator

ChaseHanna,
    If you are ever in the Clear Lake area, I'd be happy to give you a demo of my system. I have four Paradigm Studio 40's, Studio/CC, SVS Ultra, Samson S1000, and a Denon 3802. PM me if you're interested and we can set up a listening session.

10. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Chase, I have heard both, I have studio 40's and have listened to the M22's in my listening session when I was looking for some bookshelves for my 2 channel setup.

I found the M22's to be very harsh in the high end compared to the studio 40's. The bass output was no where close, the 40's are incredible for bass. And I would agree with John about the paradigms being more laid back! For those of you who question John, have you heard the Axioms? I find they are more "in your face" than the paradigms, I really didn't like that. The paradigms are not nearly as bright as the axioms. It seems as though the axioms are screaming for your attention. The M80 on the other hand is a different story, it sounds incredible. HUGE leap from the M22.

For home theatre you may not hear as much difference but for music the studio 40's win in my opinion. That's why I went with 4 40's and a CC

11. Keir H

Keir H Second Unit

Chase, did you by chance go by All Star AV (Houston)? Yes, they do have an awesome setup of Anthem/Paradigm there if that's where you went. I'm thinking of going to something else to replace my Def Tech BP 30's...something with a "different sound" and Paradigm is on my list. We'll see. Hopefully you have a smooth and powerful amp to drive the Studio line even if you do crossover at high frequencies. Good luck.

12. Fong

Fong Stunt Coordinator

james, what differences are you talking about between the m22s and the m80s? can you give specific instances in songs or movies? i remember a post on axiom's old messageboard in which alan loft said that in a blind test between the m22s and the m80s, the only difference would be that the latter has a lower bass extension. i opted for the m22s instead of the m80s pretty much because of this post (i've read a lot about both speakers, but this one just pushed me over towards the m22s).

13. ChaseHanna

Keir, yes, All Star AV is where I auditioned the Paradigm speakers. I will be using a Denon 3802 to drive my speakers, it sure would be nice to have one of those Anthem amps though.

Thomas, I would love to hear your setup. 40's all around is definantly what I would do if I could find a nice enough deal. I am just a poor college student after all.

It really would be nice if someone in the Houston area had the Axiom M22's that I could hear.

14. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Fong: It was like night and day, the imaging the soundstage the depth, the M80's had it all. And yes lower end extension. You have to be carefull if you hear "all it gives you is lower end extension" If you add that little bit of extension the soundstage will seem to open up in depth. I wasn't even interested in buying the M80's so I wasn't "thinking" it sounded better, when I switched back to the M22's and the QX6's that I ended up buying it was almost disappointing the 80's were that good.

See my review of the QX6's on this forum, I believe I mentioned it in there.

15. Harvey S

Harvey S Extra

I've heard the Paradigm Studio 20 and 40 and I own the Axiom M22ti. Never had them all together to do A-B comparisons, but my impression was that the M22ti is clearly better than the Studio 20 and that between the M22ti and Studio 40 it is a matter of taste and cost.
    Since getting the M22ti's I often have noticed details in familiar music that I hadn't heard before. Their clarity is very impressive and I have never noticed that they sound overly bright or harsh in any way. Both my wife and I also noticed an immediate improvement in Home Theater sound- what you might call the soundstage- over my previous Boston Acoustic A150's, which were and still are very good in their own right (imo). The Studio 40's seemed to have a little more Bass, though the M22tis do have accurate but not overpowering bass response down to 50hz. I've read (on the Axiom message boards) that Paradigm designs a little bass boost into its speaker response because people like that sound. However I'd rather have a speaker with a flat response that I can tweak myself. Anyways if you are going to have a good subwoofer and will use your receiver's bass management to route frequencies below 100 hz to the SW, then you shouldn't worry much about differences in your main speaker's bass response because they won't be used for that.

Axiom has a great return policy. If your Paradigm dealer also does then you ought to arrange to get them both into your own listening room and decide for yourself.

16. ChaseHanna

Any other thoughts?

17. GalenValentine

Well, I own both the Axiom M22ti and Paradigm Reference Studio 60 loudspeakers. I've listened to the Paradigms for about a year-and-a-half and the Axioms for the last six months. I did compose a more detailed reply but when I hit the Preview button lost it all! [​IMG] Hopefully the Webmaster can help me. If not, I'll attempt to reproduce it some other time. Oh well.

18. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

Too late! Chase already bought some JM Lab Chorus down in Longhorn Country. And they didn't even charge him an Aggie tax.[​IMG]

19. GalenValentine

I'll rewrite the reply and post it anyway. I'm sure that Chase isn't the only one who is curious about a comparison between Paradigm and Axiom speakers. There has already been quite a bit of interest over at Audiogon about the Axioms.

20. Lee Daza

Lee Daza Agent

I have Studio/40's, and this thread made me order two M22ti's a few minutes ago(yes I'm crazy) just to see what the talk about Axioms is all about. Whooosh! (That's the sound of more $$ crossing the border for high quality speakers)[​IMG]