What's new

For those who have DVD-A players... (1 Viewer)

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I received this months issue of the absolute sound today and its their yearly golden ear awards.

One of the recordings is a DVD-A I mentioned awhile back that's been put out by Naxos. Its their first DVD-A and its of Vivaldi's Four Seasons. And since its from Naxos its really cheap compared to other DVD-A's.

Check it out, its worth the listen.

Patrick

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Philip,

The conductor was Andrew Parrott who is part of the London Mozart Players who are supposedly one of Europe's finest chamber orchestras. The recordings feature David Juritz on Violin as the soloist.

Besides the Four Seasons there is also the Concertos for the Assumption of the Virgin Mary (Concertos for Double Orchestra).

The Four Seasons was recorded digitally at 24/96 with the front three speakers providing the majority of the soundstage with the rear speakers as ambience but the Concertos for Double Orchestra was recorded differently.

The soloist, Juritz, was positioned between the two orchestras and one orchestra was recorded as the front and the other as the rear. Very different. In the liner notes Juritz notes that played back this way was as close to the sensation of playing the work in situ as he could imagine.

One technical point of note, there is no dedicated stereo track but what it does have is the mix down. That isn't really interesting unto itself but the stereo downmix is allowed to pass through the digital output at 24/96 to your receiver. I've checked this with my 5800 and it comes up as Direct 96K on my receiver.

Patrick

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks