For those who have DirecTV...

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Paul_Fisher, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

I don't know if this is in the right forum, so mod feel free to move this thread if need be.

For those who have DirecTV, do you like it? I'm moving into a new house next week and I'm trying to decide between satellite and digital cable.

DirecTV has a new customer special for two rooms and total choice programming free for two months with a one year contract. I'm thinking about going for this one.

But I have a question about HDTV with DirecTV.

Hopefully this Christmas I will be able to get an HDTV. So to get HDTV channels through DirecTV, I will have to upgrade the receiver and pay more for HDTV channels correct?

If you like or dislike DirecTV please share your thoughts.

Much appreciated!

2. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

I used to have DirecTV, but moved to DishNetwork, which I like a lot better. For me, the pricing and customer service are a lot better.

Matt

3. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

I moved from Directv to Dish Network.

Reason 1 Dish Network had a fantastic deal for switching.

Reason 2 I got a PVR (Dish Networks's version of Tivo)for a $99 upgrade with an optical output for all those HBO DD broadcasts.

Reason 3 I had other friends move to Dish who were saying the quality of the picture was a lot better then Directv. I have to second that. I have learned since the switch that Dish doesn't compress the channels as much as Directv, probably due to the fact the Directv has 50 more PPV channels then Dish.

Reason 4 At the time the impending merger between Directv and Dish. I was hoping to get a head start into any transfer or updating of equipment when the merger was completed. But we all know what happened in regards to that.

Paul

4. WadeB

WadeB Stunt Coordinator

Paul,

I've had DirecTV for about 3 years, and I love it. Let me suggest you get a directivo receiver though. You can probably upgrade for a little more with the same deal on install etc. Tivo for Directv customers is only 5$ more a month and is one of the best gadgets ever invented. Really.

Anyhow, I would never ever, ever go with cable, digital or otherwise again, and you'd have to kill me to take away my tivo or my directv. Quality is great, pricing is fair and i've always found CS extremly helpful. Plus with the newly announced HDTV package starting in July, it will just get better, and yes you will need a new receiver and will pay more for the HDTV package. Though depending on where you live, the receiver should pull in OTA HDTV braodcasts for free. Oh, an HDTV/Directv/TIvo unit is due later this year or early 2004, just in time for your new tv. Enjoy!

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

6. Matthew Anderson

Matthew Anderson Second Unit

Matthew Anderson
    I have had DirectTV since October of last year and I have been very satisfied with the picture and sound as well as the customer service. At the time DirectTV was a better value for me. I got more for what I paid compared to Dish Network.

7. Richard Paul

Richard Paul Stunt Coordinator

I like DirecTV and the package announced for HDTV recently includes ESPN HD, Discovery HD Theater, HDNet, and HDNet Movies. The price for the package is $11 which is not bad for HDTV since Discovery alone costs $9 on Dish. Though a troubling trend I'm afraid for several years most non-local HD channels will not come free. Unfortunatley there is no word on the price for the HD DirecTivo, which if your getting a HDTV around Christmas is well worth waiting for. I'm hoping that the ATSC tuner in the HD DirecTivo is good on pulling in over the air signals since I live 50 miles from Birmingham. Some good information on local channels in Birmingham along with their status is provided on this link.

8. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

There's also going to be a HDTV-DirecTivo at some point - probably expensive, though. I've had DirecTV for about 5 years and I love it.

9. Reginald Trent

Reginald Trent Screenwriter

I have DirecTV and for arguments sake even if we a gree that the programming is comparable there is no doubt that DirecTV has the BEST hardware (Receivers/STB) Dishplayer, the Dish PVR has been plagued with operational issues since its introduction.

I would also suggest you visit www.dbsforums.com for additional info.

10. Cliff Olson

Cliff Olson Stunt Coordinator

I've been a Directv Subscriber for about 4 1/2 years. Overall, I've been pretty happy with them. Outages are VERY rare in my area. Only had reception degradation 3 times (maybe) due to storms. Picture quality has only been an issue (for me) since I bought a 65" W/S HDTV in October of last year. I just wish they'd get on the ball with HD channels and programming!

11. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

12. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Does the phone line have to be connected to the direcTV receiver for it to work properly?

13. Sean Romo

Sean Romo Agent

I really want to get the Sunday ticket that is only offered at Direct TV, That is all the NFL games for about 200$ which breaks down to 10$ a sunday. That is my only reason to go with DirectTV when I get an HD reciever.

Some things weighing my decision are the Superdish coming out soon that will add 50 HD channels to DishNetwork and reduce the need for additional round dishes. They have an oval dish coming as they transition satellite locations.

Directv will have to continue to add HD channels so really, the NFL package is why I am going to Directv.[​IMG]

14. MikeSh

MikeSh Stunt Coordinator

What WadeB said. I agree 100%

I switched from Dish in Feb and am much better off. Love the DirecTivo.

MikeS.

15. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I've had DirecTV for 5 years and it's been great. If you're an NFL fanatic like me, it's the only choice. I bought a DirecTivo a couple of months ago and has definitely changed the way I watch TV. What a great device! [​IMG]

16. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I have DirecTV, but I can’t compare it to Dish for picture quality. Since cable service is so variable it is pretty hard to make a sweeping comparison. However both Dish and DirecTV will not be as expandable as cable in terms of HD content. It is possible to get CBS HD on Dish is some circumstances. DirecTV has no network HD at all.

If you are interested in HD, you might want to check your cable company. Most don’t have any, but a few have a little content and even fewer have quite a bit. You might be lucky. Not all cable HD boxes decode OTA signals, so check out if the cable company carries local HD content.

For DirecTV you will have to replace your SD receivers with HD ones (there is no upgrade—this is a straight replacement). DirecTV receivers begin at ~$500 for older models (you can probably find a deal for around $400) and go up to about $800 for the latest and greatest HD receivers. As has already been mentioned, all of the DirecTV receivers also decode OTA HD signals—you have to get your local, network HD signals that way. Buying the local package won’t help, as that is only for SD.

Also, make sure that you get the large, elliptical dish, since you plan to go to HD. This is necessary to get most of the HD channels from DirecTV (for Dish you need two dishes). Start with the HD dish, as otherwise you will just have to replace when you go to HD.

The only reason for the phone line is for when you order PPV. I disconnected mine after it was installed.

17. Joe Reed

Joe Reed Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys, I have aquestion I am planning on getting DirecTv, but here is my question I want a Hd receiver and I want Directivo, is there a all in one unit out now that will let me "tivo" SD channels but will let me view HD channels(I know they are coimg out with a unit that will "tivo" HD as well) or two I have to get two receivers to watch HD and have tivo.

And my 2nd question is can I have DirecTv and a cable box hooked up to the same tv, I want to keep cable for HBOHD and SHOWtime HD, and my locals in HD(when they are available) and then get D* for HDnet/movies, Discovery and ESPN

18. Joe Reed

or can anyone help me learn how to get my locals OTA I tried to use the website like10000 watts or something like that, and I do not understnad them, I live in walden, NY 12586

19. Vin

Vin Supporting Actor

20. Joe Reed

Hey Vin thanks for the fast reply, I was at best buy and I saw a Samsung Hd reciever for $599, and the directivo was $199 so to get into D* this way will cost me $800 correct? Do you know when the HD Tivo is coming or is it just speculation that it is coming out later this year?