For those who don't look at the covers close enough

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DarrenA, Mar 27, 2002.

1. DarrenA

DarrenA Second Unit

I've been continually reading about people inadvertently buying the P&S version of a movie (A.I. anyone?) instead of the widescreen version because the words "Widescreen" and "Fullscreen" are almost indistinguishable. Well for those who will be picking up the Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring DVD on August 6th, you have been warned!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

I'll be getting the Widescreen version on the right!
    [​IMG]

3. Jeremiah W

Jeremiah W Stunt Coordinator

4. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

If I buy the "Fullscreen" version and it doesn't fill up my 16x9 screen, can I bring a class action lawsuit against New Line? [​IMG]

5. Marty Lockstead

Marty Lockstead Second Unit

Hello Darren,

Great idea for a post since most people indeed don't read them carefully enough. I have first-hand knowledge of this because I work as a full-time retail clerk in the movies/dvd department and customers tend to be "sheep" IMO and don't take the extra minute to check the packaging. It basically amounts to being a pain in the ass for me to have to fix. One goal I try to set for myself in my job is to try to educate people about the benefits of widescreen on a daily basis. One day at a time, one person at a time, I WILL make a difference!

6. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

You know, I think a good idea to help in these very situations is to zoom in and crop the image for the cover of the fullscreen edition, you know, just showing EWs face and one or two horses in the image below.

That way the image can "fill the cover" too!

7. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Perhaps if studios were to format the image on the box so that it is TV shaped on the "full screen" option, and leave the OAR box image intact....

8. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

John, I like what you mean. But, they should take it the next step and cut the above image in half. [​IMG]
    Seriously, They should have the same picture on the back of each dvd. The picture would show what is cut off in with fullscreen version and what is kept in the widescreen version.

9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Edit: This probably is more appropriate to the other thread. I'll copy it there if a mod wants to delete this one.

Those of you who work in electronics depts/stores, do you have the ability to run the same movie on two different monitors side-by-side, simultaneously, one in widescreen and one in pan & scan? I'd think that would show the differences. Perhaps you could even put it on a widescreen TV, so that people will see what their P&S films will look like if they upgrade to HD-WS TV.

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The cover of the fullscreen version should say "rd of the Rin"

Regards,

11. RobertCharlotte

RobertCharlotte Supporting Actor

Well, I've been gotcha-ed by not reading the cover close enough. The day I bought my DVD player, I bought 6 DVD titles to take home with it and wouldn't you know it, I managed to get the full screen Silence of the Lambs instead of the widescreen.
    Fortunately for me, it developed a ... um, problem (yeah, that's the ticket) and when I exchanged it, the guy didn't notice that I made an error and picked up the widescreen by mistake.
    Oops.
    [​IMG]

12. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

Universal used to do what you guys are talking about with their laserdiscs.

The widescreen version had the poster art framed in a letterbox shape.

Very easy to distinguish.

Doug

13. RobE

RobE Auditioning

i stopped in a radio shack the other day, and I noticed the episode 1 dvd was playing, but the video was vertically distorted (the player was not set up properly for the TV). So i told one of the employees, and he said that they usually don't bother fixing the 2.35:1 movies because customers "complain about the black bars on the screen"
    [​IMG]

14. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I always make sure I get the widescreen release when there's a dual release, and I'll be getting the widescreen version with this release too. My mom says it really shouldn't matter, but I tell her I'd rather get all of the movie. She's the type that don't care either way, even after being shown the difference. I guess I'm really anal retentive with my movies, after getting so heavily into DVD.

15. MichaelPe

MichaelPe Screenwriter

Actually, New Line has heard our complaints and has changed the covers in response to this thread:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

16. RobE

RobE Auditioning

heheh. [​IMG]

17. Butch C

Butch C Second Unit

Well you can guarentee that The Wiz will put the price sticker right over here where the Words Full and Wide are

18. Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov Cinematographer