What's new

For those who crave INSANE Bass....... (1 Viewer)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
So you think your (insert brand/model here) sub rocks the
house? You think you have plenty of output and a well built
driver? You may very well have... But how does this grab you?
235 Ounce Triple Stack Strontium Magnet Assembly.
Custom Tooled Diecast Basket
Custom Tooled Diecast Pole Piece
Dual 9" Vented Spiders
User Replaceable Voice Coils (Field Serviceable)
Flat Aluminium Piston
3" Peak Linear Excursion
1200 Watt Continious Power Handling!
Do I have your attention yet? Are you sitting there making
Tim the Toolman Taylor sounds? MORE POWER ARGH! ?
This is not a driver for the meek or the cheap.. This is
as the name implies, ELITE... This thing is CRAZY!
(Ohh yeah and the 3 blue LED's in the center of the piston
is a neat touch too...)
http://www.phoenixgold.com/tielite12d.html

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Doesn't grab me at all to be honest. It looks like it has three voicecoils? Yeah, it better handle 1200watts of power. Their "features" page isn't working for me so maybe that is where you got 3" of linear excursion. Or does "true" mean linear these days? User replaceable voice coils...is it that likely they'll need to be replaced? ;)
Just found the T/S specs. 26.36fs isn't too bad. But it's Xmax is listed at 50.5mm Point to Point. So the 3" of linear excursion isn't going to happen. I haven't found any US prices yet but it costs $899 in the UK. So about $1500 US? I'll take 3 tumults please. :D

Chris James

Stunt Coordinator
From what I have read, it is about the same level(maybe lower) as the Brahma. There are numerous other subs that can out perform this one.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Wayne, I saw the mention of 3" excursion. I did NOT see where it said 3" of LINEAR excursion. And it's T/S parameters support the idea that it the 3" is not linear.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Okay
Fine it's over rated... If it's not a Brahma or Tumult it's
not worth mentioning... I get ya :)
Heh I still think it's a well built sub (very over built)
Perhaps the Tumult will outperform it..
Just goes to show the caliber of driver the Tumult it..
But it's still not in the same class as this driver, this
is a pro SPL beast I guess the guys that use something like
this are also the guys who are trying to outgun the 177DB
Drag Record (and after one "run" thier voice coils probably
are fried)
:)

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
I saw one of these guys set up in a booth at a car audio show in the summer. It was in a free air stand and it must have just been playing a constant test tone because it was firing back and forth all day. It was pretty amazing to see the amount of excursion it had though. That thing could move! And the LEDs looked kinda cool too, as gimmicky as they are. ;)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Brett,

Perhaps the Tumult will outperform it..
Prehaps? It's a simple mathematical equation. Vd=Sd*Xmax (peak to peak). The Tumult will destroy this thing. BTW, you're AV12 will come pretty close to this thing for output. Also, the Qts is a bit high so it would be impossible to get a really low Q enclosure.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Wayne, I saw the mention of 3" excursion. I did NOT see where it said 3" of LINEAR excursion. And it's T/S parameters support the idea that it the 3" is not linear.
Thanks for the clarification. I just sometimes get "out of my skull" with a mention of bass or a subwoofer. Hey, I'm addicted to BASS -- and I'll admit to it.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
But it's still not in the same class as this driver, this is a pro SPL beast
What makes you say that? Less cone area than a Tumult, less excursion, lower efficiency. I'm not trying to be down on the driver....well, yes I am. But I'm not trying to be down on you. I am curious as to what exactly it is that makes you think this driver is all that.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Dan,
It's getting a bit boring, you and I agreeing all the time! ;)
As the 15 year old Fred Durst wannabe's from the 'burbs would say, "Dis driver is da bomb!"

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I shouldn't have posted linear excursion for one thing.
I misread thier web site and I can't get into the advanced
specifications to check out all the parameters.
And I am too lazy to compare it to the tumult so if Brian
says the tumult specs out better, then it does that's good
enough for me..
But what I mean by "it's not in the same class" is that
the sub is without a doubt overbuilt far beyond the tum
or the Brahma.. The whole user replaceable voice coil
assemblies and such.. Like I said it's for the SPL Kiddies
they can do thier DB Drag, send 2kw into it, fry it in 10
seconds, win thier competition then spend $300.00 (probably)
to rebuild it..
LOL
Or I guess you could just buy the Tumult and not have to
fry it to get the output..
Damn I keep searching for something that is just the "All"
out hands down craziest sub out there and I can't find it..
I guess they are all right in front of me right here in the
DIY section :)
HMMM I did see a sub somewhere with dual motor structures
I am not sure what the excursion was. Now I am going to have
to do some more searching.. :)

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
how come car amps are so much cheaper than home amps? a long time ago i got my alpine mrv 1000 amp for 300dollars but if i wanted to get a home amp with a 1k wat i would have to pay alot more than what i did for my alpine and i have had the thing for 8 years now

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Besides the Tumult (5.1L Vd), there is the BluePrint 1803 (6.2L I think) or the Aurasound MR18 (7.4L Vd - http://www.aurasound.com/pdf/mr.pdf).
But for the cost of the Aurasound you could buy a pair of Tumults. The BP1803 is cheap, but has a high inductance. With XBL^2 I'd imagine the Tumult would play the cleanest of the three.
Also, I don't see what makes the build quality of the Pheonix Gold better than the Tumult. Have you looked at the pics? The Tumult weighs 48lbs all by itself.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
Brett,
I fear you need profess help! :D
Please send me your AV as I don't think their going to let you out long enough to build your sub.
They have really cool puzzels their with Square, Hex, Round, and Triangle subs. You have to put them in the proper hole.
And you get to play with them all day if you want, also if your good they let you tear them apart.
Dude you scare me sometimes.....:eek:

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Now wonder why Brian & Dan agree all the time, they are always wrong
...yeah, that's it! :p) Let us not forget about that one time... I wasn't wrong then, now was I? Remember that one time?

Yeah, me neither....

Speaking about great drivers that don't get as much mention don't forget about the North Creek Leviathan. It's not cheap ($850) but has a Sd=3970cm^2, 28.7mm Point to point xmax, 14hz Fs and 92.5db sensitivity...wowza!

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I was unaware the Leviathon was a >26" driver. That has to be a typo. The Sd of an 18" driver with any reasonable excursion ability should be less than 1200cm^2. Would be cool if it was 3970cm^2 though as that would result in over 11L of Vd.

Edit: found the answer, is a typo. That number is the effective piston diameter in cm, not the piston area in cm^2. Using that as the diameter you get 1237cm^2 for the Sd. Giving a resulting Vd of 3.55L.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
LOL...yeah, Dustin that's exactly what I thought. But I figured North Creek knew better than I did as it's been listed that way for quite a while. Still, with its low fs and fairly nice sensitivity it would prove to be one heck of a driver in some applications.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks