For those of you with DC VGA Boxes...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Graeme Clark, Dec 13, 2001.

1. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

How exactly do you guys have your DC VGA boxes all hooked up if you're using a Monitor?

The boxes that I can still find do not have a the VGA passthrough, which would be the ideal option, so what I want to know is how you guys are hooking things up.

I'm currently playing my games on a 19" monitor which is also being used for my computer, so I've got everything hooked up through my TV Tuner, which looks like crap above much anything past a 320x240 window.

I'd like to get a box, but the thought of having to get behind my computer to unhook the monitor and speakers every time I want to play my DC has me putting it off.

I know I could get a monitor switchbox, but that's like $80 here and I can't really afford that for just this.

Any suggestions?

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Well, I have a VGA adapter for the DC that has the passthrough. But I hate it because it will not pass VGA if there is no PC video card attached to it as well (my workaround: a cheap Matrox Millenium card still in its static bag is attached precariously to the adapter).
    What you need is a monitor with TWO VGA inputs. I purchased my Samsung SyncMaster 900P three years ago with that in mind...has BNC and 15 pin VGA inputs in the back, switchable from the monitor menu. Two VGA inputs will not compromise video quality at all!
    Yeah, it doesn't solve your problem really, but something to remember when your shopping for computer monitors in the future...always try to get one with 2 inputs because, goddamit, it will come in handy one day. [​IMG]

3. David Ely

David Ely Supporting Actor

I've wanted to get a VGA box for my Dreamcast, but I didn't like that fact that for a lot of games you needed to do a stupid trick to get the video displayed. If there was a box that would automatically work with all games, I'd buy it in a second.

4. RANDY FISHER

RANDY FISHER Second Unit

I just sold my dreamcast but I had the Naki VGA box...and it worked for everything...including the demo disks with out doing any tricks. It was only $15.

Randy

5. Rusty Ray

Rusty Ray Second Unit

I use a computer monitor a/b switch that i got from fry's for 20 bucks... the one that would allow for two computers on one monitor...

6. Oscar_R

Oscar_R Second Unit

what's the swap trick? I have a cheap VGA adapter I got from EB and certain games aren't supported by it. Bangaio for example.

As for hooking it up, i literally have to get behind my PC , disconnected the cable to the video card and connect it to the adapter, along with the cord for the speakers. It's a pain, but oh well.

7. Graeme Clark

Max, does your monitor have 2 15 pin inputs and the BNC, or 1 of each? Are you using the BNC inputs for something?

8. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

It has the one 15 pin and the one set of BNC. I have a cable that is 15 pin on one end and BNC on the other (easy to find, but can get pricey...maybe $35 CDN for a 6 footer).
    I use the 15 pin input with my computer, because for some reason, monitor plug-n-play detection only works on that, not the BNC. Hence, I attach my DC VGA adapter to my BNC cable.
    Right now my DC is downstairs in the HT room, disconnected from my AA VGA-to-component adapter. That darn Xbox is taking up the last component inputs on my TV. [​IMG]

9. Graeme Clark

That sounds like the best solution, better than buying a switch box and 2 VGA cables.

Just need to find a cable like that then. I had completely forgotten about the BNC connections on my monitor.

10. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So

11. Wolf Jenkins

Wolf Jenkins Stunt Coordinator

I've got my hooked to the VGA input of my HDTV, but I was just thinking about it - I should just bring it back here to my office and hook it to my 21" monitor - I've got the dual inputs (15 pin and BNC) - why the heck not. I don't play it much in my theater, as my Xbox is kinda taking space for it... be a good way to finally finish Grandia II. And play Record of Lodoss War...

12. Graeme Clark

Any ideas on where to get the BNC cables? I don't think places like Futureshop and Radio Shack have them, and I don't know if the computer places around here would carry them or not.

13. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Try CompuSmart. They will probably have them.

You might want to verify the gender of the cable you need to buy just to be sure. Maybe take your DC-VGA adapter with you.

14. Graeme Clark

The cables are male, just like me. The box is female. Not hard to remember [​IMG]
    Picked up a used VGA box today for $8 (much better than the $25 for the Naki one, and this one came with a SVideo and composite cables if I need to use them). Good god it's so much better than that pixelated mess running through the TV tuner. Now I can actually play Shenmue 2 without squinting to make it look alright [​IMG]

15. ChrisV

ChrisV Second Unit

Graeme, did you get that in Vancouver? If so, where? I'm heading over there tonight, and would love to pick one up.
    Whoops, didn't read the "used" bit. Probably got the last one [​IMG] Maybe you Vancouver guys could give me an idea of places I could look when I'm in town.

16. Graeme Clark

I got it at the EB in Oakridge. I had the Naki in my hand for $24, but had heard some not so great things about that one, so asked if they had any others left.

"No, that's the last one now. Oh wait, I do have a used one back here. You can have it for about $7.99"

SCORE!

Might want to just try calling around and see if any others have them.

Also picked up Bleemcast MGS... niiiice!

17. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, i got my NAKI at the Richmond Center EB... forget how much though... $28 ish?