For those of you in states that border Canada

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jay H, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Just a word of caution.

http://www.pressrepublican.com/Archi.../092020041.htm

I heard about this on a hiking forum dealing with the NE. I've been stopped before going down I-91 in vermont out of the blue. Dangerous crap in the so called name of homeland security. These folks are endangering the lives of people, it is ridiculous that these 4 folks had to die because of the carelessness of the border patrol. This isn't the first time and wont be the last time this happens.

I spent the weekend in the catskills with about 30 other folks all leaving on sunday. I feel for the families of those who were killed and I will always have my foot on the accelerator everytime this thing occurs or will completely avoid I87, or I91 or the Maine turnpike to escape this madness.

Jay

2. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan
    Sound like those brave officers are heroes to me.

3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Yeah, I don't see where the Border Patrol is to blame in this.

4. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    The whole setup is dangerous, in incliment weather or traffic build up. Traffic was noted to be moving at a slow pace according to the article. Then, those flashing lights aren't that effective. I'm sure all of us have seen traffic on the highway build up instantly. Imagine being stopped on a highway and have trucks barreling down on you. Keep an eye on the rear view mirror folks. Now imagine if the stoppage was due to man and not another accident, animals, etc. It's avoidable is all I'm saying.

Yeah, the truck is the instigator of this mess, but it's not like this is the first time this has happened. I don't feel safer.

Jay

5. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

I'm not sure what this has to do, specifically, with the states that border Canada. I can assure you, that there are Border Patrol checkpoints along the southern half of the country, ya know, those states that border Mexico?

Now, I've never been to the checkpoint mentioned in the article, but I am quite familiar with one in southern New Mexico. We're not talking about a sudden stop along the interstate. We're talking about a single-lane, ramp-like exit for 2 miles before the checkpoint. In my opinion, the flashing lights, which are every 100ft or so, are extremely hard to miss. The pavement has those intentional "etchings" in it so your whole car vibrates as to alert you to something ahead. There is no way an alert, sober person would miss such an obstacle.

Now I will say that accidents like the one in the article still happen. But it's usually due to a drunk or high driver, or someone that is intentially trying to avoid stopping. In all the cases I've heard about, blame is usually squarely put upon the reckless driver.

6. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I don't spend much of my time in the SW, but I do travel the northeast extensively, and these checkpoints exist in NY, VT, ME that I know of so that's why I didn't include Mexico.

The one I ran into recently in VT, has no blinking lights, just orange DOT signs saying Border Patrol and stuff with cones setup.

Jay

7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    It's no different than a construction work back-up. I was recently traveling north on I-89 and traffic was at a near standstill nearly a mile prior to the first construction warning/lane closure signs.

It seemed like everyone was handling that OK. It seems like this was just another case of a truck driver driving in an unsafe manner and not in control of his vehicle.

8. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Canadian Terrorists are the worst. They sneak into your country and try to lead non-threantening, normal, non-violent lives. Those insidious bastards! Don't they give border patrol tanks to deal with such threats yet?

[​IMG]

9. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan

Almost...

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

Jeez, even the dog is laughing at that clunker. [​IMG]

Definitely not the fault of the Border Patrol. Anybody who is flying along, not prepared to stop their vehicle at the slightest notice, even a big rig, is asking for trouble.

11. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Like I said, it's not just one incident and not just big rigs or anything. I heard I think last winter when a bus carreened into a tractor trailer at one of these stops and another incident when a driver in a car thought the blinking lights was construction and one lane was closed and killed a border patrol agent in the process.

What if it was raining and visibility is almost nil. Yeah, sure people are supposed to drive according to conditions, but they don't. People aren't supposed to tailgate and people aren't supposed to hog the left lane either.

Things like construction or rubbernecking, can't be helped but these border stops should be done in a much more safer fashion, which I'm sure all of you would agree upon, no?

Jay

12. Rob Landolfi

Rob Landolfi Stunt Coordinator

I was stopped at that checkpoint back in May while returning from visiting my parents in Plattsburgh, and I'll vouch for the seeming "suddenness" of it. I-87 is fairly ho-hum in that area, then you come up on that checkpoint after a 65-MPH zone and a couple of hills/dips if I remember correctly. It seems it's in an area where one would let their guard down if they're sneaking into the country as it's about 100 miles or so south of the border and on a direct route to civilization (Albany, NYC, etc.) One could think, "Wow, we're in!" and then get hung up at this checkpoint that is a perfect chokepoint for southbound traffic. The results of driver inattention are shown in this extreme example, and I remember being caught a bit off-guard by the activity when we were stopped during our transit. I felt like an idiot as I really wasn't sure what was going on at the time, and after I answered one question, we were allowed to pass. It's a shame that people were killed there.