What's new

For those of you dying for the Cowboy Bebop Movie (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
It's going to travel around, starting in New York and LA in general release in January. Whether it's going to expand or just roadshow has yet to be seen

The BIG news is that Columbia will be providing EACH theater with both a dub *spit* and subtitled OSL print so they can mix and match at their discretion. NO hiding the fact there are sub prints

BIG THUMBS UP COLUMBIA!

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
The BIG news is that Columbia will be providing EACH theater with both a dub *spit* and subtitled OSL print
Hey, don't dis the English dub of Cowboy Bebop. True, most anime dubs suck, and every foreign film should be shown with in its original language, but the voice acting in the English CB is one of the best I've ever heard. In fact I prefer it to the Japanese version. Kudos to Sony for keeping the English voice actors from the TV series for the movie.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
OOOO boy... please come to Orlando, please please please please please. I'd love the chance to see this AWESOME flick on the big screen. :D :) :D

Lowell_B

Second Unit
:D
Finally! I've been waiting for months for theatrical release news on the Bebop movie. Fantastic news about the subbed prints too. The Bebop dub is hands down the best anime dub I've heard, but the OSL is just plain better imo.

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
Great news! So far I've had to deal with a copy of the movie obtained from, uh, various sources, so it'll be great to finally see this one up on the big screen!

And here's another vote for the US dub of "Bebop." Truth be told, I'm more familiar with it than the original language track (which is what I almost always prefer).

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
Don't waste your breath. Jeff hates all dubs, no matter how good they are.
:laugh:
jeff! you're notorious! :D
personally, i will be looking long and hard for this to come to my screen.
i'll be happy to see it regardless of which format it is.
btw - i kind of like the dub too. :)
ducks and runs...

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Don't waste your breath. Jeff hates all dubs, no matter how good they are.
That's right, because there's a right way to watch it and a wrong way. People here would be SCREAMING if it wasn't OAR, and OSL is no different, except with animation you are TOTALLY DESTROYING the original actor's performance rather than Pan&Scanning it

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
That's right, because there's a right way to watch it and a wrong way. People here would be SCREAMING if it wasn't OAR, and OSL is no different, except with animation you are TOTALLY DESTROYING the original actor's performance rather than Pan&Scanning it
Well, the difference, as I see it, is that half of the "performance" is the animators, so you aren't taking away from the voice actors by doing it. It is the key difference for me with this issue between live action and animated. Also, the nice thing about DVD is you get a choice, which is far better than what Disney is giving us with HK films.

That being said, there are times I do prefer the Dub. El-Hazard is one. (Particularly Jinnai) Cowboy Bebop's dub is pretty good, but I still listen to it in japanese. Princess Mononoke I still prefer in English, despite some of its flaws. I would have liked Jubei-Chan's dub, except some things just don't translate well, which gives it to the original language.

Course, some people go overboard with this OSL thing. I mean, there are a lot of people who want VHD: Bloodlust in Japanese, when the OSL is English.

For most of the OSL people, it probably comes down more on quality of acting, rather than the original actors...

Jason

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I only watch a small amount of anime so I am probably wrong but don't most productions do the animation and then record the voice work? The reason I bring this up is that if English voice actors do their interpretation of the work and do a good job is that not also a valid version.

Don't get me wrong the language that its creators primarily intended it to be performed in should be considered the primary version but is their anything wrong with making an English version available providing you in know way push aside the original version?

Personally I always like to hear both with regards to animation and animation only. The original Japanese is usually better and there is no replacing it since it is probably the closest to what the animators intended. I like to hear the English because with animation you rely much more on the voice work to give the characters emotion.

A good English dub may make certain points clearer than the Japanese to an English viewer since he or she does not understand the intricacies of the language.

I would just like to reiterate that I only like to hear the English to get an alternative take on the material and would never watch a dub of a live action film though I begrudgingly make an exception for Jackie Chan films since the Disney versions are so readily available.

Oh, and as far as Cowboy Bebop I am loathe to admit it but I will make my first viewing the English dub since I first watched the series on TV so for me the English cast became the characters of Cowboy Bebop. After that I will re absorb the the series in Japanese and then watch the movie in its original language.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I prefer to watch both. I watch the English dub to get an idea of what's going on and understand everything, then the Japanese dub to hear the original performances, what the original voices are, and to possibly see some unexplained things (dubs tend to leave stuff out).

To tell the truth, even releasing CB in America on DVD with English credits (instead of the original Japanese) is destroying the original. It's in how destructive it really is to the enjoyment of the show that matters.

Jon Strong

Agent
Are we talking about the "Knocking On Heaven's Door" Bebop movie, or is this a new one?

'Cause I already bought the DVD for that...

P.S. And it's not a bootleg. I got it at a comic book store.

Benson R

Supporting Actor
Jon, Cowboy Bebop Knockin on Heaven's Door has been retitled Cowboy Bebop the Movie for the American release.

And you probably have a bootleg if there are English subtitles. I believe the Japanese dvd is still the only one available and the only way to watch it with subtitles in English is on a hometheater pc with some kind of fan made subtitle program.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
P.S. And it's not a bootleg. I got it at a comic book store.
Does it have English subtitles, is coded anything but region 2, and/or run you under about $70? Then it's a bootleg. Comic shops have been probably THE BIGGEST source of bootleg anime DVDs around outside of Ebay

Jon Strong

Agent
Does it have English subtitles, is coded anything but region 2, and/or run you under about $70? Then it's a bootleg. Comic shops have been probably THE BIGGEST source of bootleg anime DVDs around outside of Ebay
Yeah, it does have english subs, I don't remember exactly if you can take 'em off, I'll check it when I'm less tired, it said region 0 so, you're probably right there, BUT: it only cost me $25 bucks.

And man did they have a pile of 'em!

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Then it's 100% a bootleg, and you overpaid by about $20 to boot. It's easy to buy a pile of them when you're only paying 5-$7 a disc to some scumbag. The fact that it's cheap is no excuse to buy boots

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I mean $7
Your typical bootleg DVD goes for $2-3 on the streets of Hong Kong, so after shipping they paid no more than $7 a pop for those discs
You can undo the damage by 1-Reporting the comic shop to the MPAA and 2-Buying the legit disc when COlumbia puts it out
For those not in the know:
If an anime disc is not domestic and has english subs, assume it's a boot unless proven innocent.
Do not buy anime discs from ebay that ship from Asia
Any non-domestic region 0 discs should be assumed bootleg until proven otherwise
http://srd.yahoo.com/S=2766679:WS1/R...piratefaq.html
If the disc is not from the US and packaged in cardboard, it's a bootleg.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks