For those of you dying for the Cowboy Bebop Movie

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Kleist, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

It's going to travel around, starting in New York and LA in general release in January. Whether it's going to expand or just roadshow has yet to be seen

The BIG news is that Columbia will be providing EACH theater with both a dub *spit* and subtitled OSL print so they can mix and match at their discretion. NO hiding the fact there are sub prints

BIG THUMBS UP COLUMBIA!

2. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

3. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

OOOO boy... please come to Orlando, please please please please please. I'd love the chance to see this AWESOME flick on the big screen. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Lowell_B

Lowell_B Second Unit

[​IMG]
    Finally! I've been waiting for months for theatrical release news on the Bebop movie. Fantastic news about the subbed prints too. The Bebop dub is hands down the best anime dub I've heard, but the OSL is just plain better imo.

5. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

Great news! So far I've had to deal with a copy of the movie obtained from, uh, various sources, so it'll be great to finally see this one up on the big screen!

And here's another vote for the US dub of "Bebop." Truth be told, I'm more familiar with it than the original language track (which is what I almost always prefer).

6. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

8. Jeff Kleist

9. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

10. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I only watch a small amount of anime so I am probably wrong but don't most productions do the animation and then record the voice work? The reason I bring this up is that if English voice actors do their interpretation of the work and do a good job is that not also a valid version.

Don't get me wrong the language that its creators primarily intended it to be performed in should be considered the primary version but is their anything wrong with making an English version available providing you in know way push aside the original version?

Personally I always like to hear both with regards to animation and animation only. The original Japanese is usually better and there is no replacing it since it is probably the closest to what the animators intended. I like to hear the English because with animation you rely much more on the voice work to give the characters emotion.

A good English dub may make certain points clearer than the Japanese to an English viewer since he or she does not understand the intricacies of the language.

I would just like to reiterate that I only like to hear the English to get an alternative take on the material and would never watch a dub of a live action film though I begrudgingly make an exception for Jackie Chan films since the Disney versions are so readily available.

Oh, and as far as Cowboy Bebop I am loathe to admit it but I will make my first viewing the English dub since I first watched the series on TV so for me the English cast became the characters of Cowboy Bebop. After that I will re absorb the the series in Japanese and then watch the movie in its original language.

11. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I prefer to watch both. I watch the English dub to get an idea of what's going on and understand everything, then the Japanese dub to hear the original performances, what the original voices are, and to possibly see some unexplained things (dubs tend to leave stuff out).

To tell the truth, even releasing CB in America on DVD with English credits (instead of the original Japanese) is destroying the original. It's in how destructive it really is to the enjoyment of the show that matters.

12. Jon Strong

Jon Strong Agent

Are we talking about the "Knocking On Heaven's Door" Bebop movie, or is this a new one?

'Cause I already bought the DVD for that...

P.S. And it's not a bootleg. I got it at a comic book store.

13. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

14. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

Jon, Cowboy Bebop Knockin on Heaven's Door has been retitled Cowboy Bebop the Movie for the American release.

And you probably have a bootleg if there are English subtitles. I believe the Japanese dvd is still the only one available and the only way to watch it with subtitles in English is on a hometheater pc with some kind of fan made subtitle program.

15. Jeff Kleist

16. Jon Strong

Jon Strong Agent

17. Jeff Kleist

Then it's 100% a bootleg, and you overpaid by about $20 to boot. It's easy to buy a pile of them when you're only paying 5-$7 a disc to some scumbag. The fact that it's cheap is no excuse to buy boots

18. Jon Strong

Jon Strong Agent

I didn't know! I just love it...I'm sorry.

(BTW: did you mean to $70 or $7 up there?)

19. Jeff Kleist

I mean $7
    Your typical bootleg DVD goes for $2-3 on the streets of Hong Kong, so after shipping they paid no more than $7 a pop for those discs
    You can undo the damage by 1-Reporting the comic shop to the MPAA and 2-Buying the legit disc when COlumbia puts it out
    For those not in the know:
    If an anime disc is not domestic and has english subs, assume it's a boot unless proven innocent.
    Do not buy anime discs from ebay that ship from Asia
    Any non-domestic region 0 discs should be assumed bootleg until proven otherwise
    http://srd.yahoo.com/S=2766679:WS1/R...piratefaq.html
    If the disc is not from the US and packaged in cardboard, it's a bootleg.