What's new

For the love of movies: The Past, Present, and Future of Cinema and what makes us fans (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
It’s a scene from The Fabelmans.

I did not know this and have not seen Fabelmans. Pretty funny scene. When I saw the video it did not mention where it was from and I thought it was something Lynch did as a gag because he will create odd videos at times. Fun stuff.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Since everybody loves a list, check out this list, which I thought was pretty interesting. It is a list of the 50 best films of the 1970s and it is a pretty good list, I think...

I'd have more grindhouse-y movies on there and I'd put Halloween at number 1 (take that The Godfather!) but that is a solid list. Nice to see Assault On Precinct 13 on there too.

I don't wanna go off on a tangent but am I the only one who doesn't really care for Don't Look Now? Different strokes for different folks and it's not a bad movie but I have seen it a couple of times and it does nothing for me.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I'd have more grindhouse-y movies on there and I'd put Halloween at number 1 (take that The Godfather!) but that is a solid list. Nice to see Assault On Precinct 13 on there too.

I don't wanna go off on a tangent but am I the only one who doesn't really care for Don't Look Now? Different strokes for different folks and it's not a bad movie but I have seen it a couple of times and it does nothing for me.

I love Don't Look Now but I also love Venice and walking those streets at night I thought a lot about Don't Look Now. I mean, as far as what goes on in the picture, it is all about the atmosphere as there is little action...I mean aside from the sex scene between Sutherland and Christie. It's all about emotionally sneaking up on you.

I can see people finding it boring because not a lot is happening in it. I never really thought it was a picture that I would see on people's best lists but as an exorcise in creating creepy atmosphere in a beautiful setting, it is fantastic.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I think that sex scene with Sutherland and Christie is another one that is rumored to be real, in that they did have sex and Roeg filmed it and then edited it in such a way that it is more discreet. The story was, they felt the best way to make the scene feel like a real sex scene between a husband and wife was to really have sex. Plus I think they were actually dating or having a fling at the time.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Here's another list, so what do you think?

50 Most Critically-Acclaimed Films of 2022 (based only on 2022 end-of-year ballots)

1. AFTERSUN Charlotte Wells
2. TÁR Todd Field
3. THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN Martin McDonagh
4. DECISION TO LEAVE Park Chan-wook
5. NOPE Jordan Peele
6. SAINT OMER Alice Diop
7. EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE Dan Kwan & Daniel Scheinert
8. EO Jerzy Skolimowski
9. THE FABELMANS Steven Spielberg
10. RRR S.S. Rajamouli
11. ALL THE BEAUTY AND THE BLOODSHED Laura Poitras
12. CRIMES OF THE FUTURE David Cronenberg
13. THE ETERNAL DAUGHTER Joanna Hogg
14. TOP GUN: MAVERICK Joseph Kosinski
15. HAPPENING Audrey Diwan
16. NO BEARS Jafar Panahi
17. TRIANGLE OF SADNESS Ruben Östlund
18. ELVIS Baz Luhrmann
19. GUILLERMO DEL TORO'S PINOCCHIO Guillermo del Toro
20. ONE FINE MORNING Mia Hansen-Løve
21. BENEDICTION Terence Davies
22. ARMAGEDDON TIME James Gray
23. CORSAGE Marie Kreutzer
24. THE NOVELIST'S FILM Hong Sang-soo
25. HIT THE ROAD Panah Panahi
26. WOMEN TALKING Sarah Polley
27. PACIFICTION Albert Serra
28. KIMI Steven Soderbergh
29. THE BATMAN Matt Reeves
30. THE CATHEDRAL Ricky D'Ambrose
31. BONES AND ALL Luca Guadagnino
32. AFTER YANG Kogonada
33. APOLLO 10½: A SPACE AGE CHILDHOOD Richard Linklater
34. SHOWING UP Kelly Reichardt
35. THE WOMAN KING Gina Prince-Bythewood
36. LIVING Oliver Hermanus
37. FIRE OF LOVE Sara Dosa
38. THE QUIET GIRL Colm Bairéad
39. BARBARIAN Zach Cregger
40. IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE Hong Sang-soo
41. FUNNY PAGES Owen Kline
42. GLASS ONION: A KNIVES OUT MYSTERY Rian Johnson
43. ALL THAT BREATHES Shaunak Sen
44. SHE SAID Maria Schrader
45. JACKASS FOREVER Jeff Tremaine
46. FLUX GOURMET Peter Strickland
47. MARCEL THE SHELL WITH SHOES ON Dean Fleischer-Camp
48. MOONAGE DAYDREAM Brett Morgen
49. TURNING RED Domee Shi
50. WE’RE ALL GOING TO THE WORLD’S FAIR Ja
ne Schoenbrun

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The only thing wrong here is that it should have been much higher.

It's an interesting list due to the diversity of titles on it. It says it was compiled based on critical acclaim, which I find questionable in the case of Jackass but hey, that may be considered a genre these days.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It's an interesting list due to the diversity of titles on it. It says it was compiled based on critical acclaim, which I find questionable in the case of Jackass but hey, that may be considered a genre these days.
Jackass Forever is not high art but it was extremely successful in the silliness that it aspired to.

Like any list, I'd debate the rankings but there's a lot of movies that I really liked on there and it's nice to see a list that seems free of pretension.

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
I had seen every one of these 70's films when they opened and consider them outstanding. Dillinger, Looking for Mr. Goodbar, Chinatown, The Gravy Train, Don't Look Now, Jaws, The Godfather 1 and 2, Suspiria, The Candidate, The Stepford Wives, Patton, The Adventurers, Airport, Catch 22, Kelly's Heroes, The Kremlin Letter, The Liberation Of L B Jones, Little Big Man, Monte Walsh, MASH, The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes, Tora Tora Tora.

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
Part 2: The Exorcist, American Graffiti, Assault On Precinct 13, Colossus: The Forbin Project, The Bird With The Crystal Plumage, Le Cercle Rouge, Borsalino, Puppet On A Chain, Sudden Terror, The Executioner, Sounder, Andy Warhol's Frankenstein in 3-D, The Tenant, Watership Down. Taxi Driver, What's Up Doc?, Klute, The Getaway, Annie Hall, Love And Death, High Plains Drifter, Dirty Harry, TESS, Walkabout, The French Connection, Summer Of '42,Cooley High, All The President's Men, All That Jazz, Amarcord, McCabe And Mrs. Miller, Days Of Heaven, Alien, Barry Lyndon. Will stop at this point, do not want to bore folks.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Like any list, I'd debate the rankings but there's a lot of movies that I really liked on there and it's nice to see a list that seems free of pretension.

I think that is what lists are for, to create debate. The Sight & Sound list people openly said they wanted to shake people up with their list. This list does have everything on it, from Jackass to art house, to super hero. It's all on there, so it is a well rounded list with something for everyone. I guess the people that made the pictures that finished below Jackass are probably left wondering "Our picture was less critically acclaimed than Jackass?"

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I had seen every one of these 70's films when they opened and consider them outstanding. Dillinger, Looking for Mr. Goodbar, Chinatown, The Gravy Train, Don't Look Now, Jaws, The Godfather 1 and 2, Suspiria, The Candidate, The Stepford Wives, Patton, The Adventurers, Airport, Catch 22, Kelly's Heroes, The Kremlin Letter, The Liberation Of L B Jones, Little Big Man, Monte Walsh, MASH, The Private Life Of Sherlock Holmes, Tora Tora Tora.

The 1970s were, flat out, just a great decade for film. As most people say, it was probably the last great decade for film before things took a turn toward...well...a more mechanical process toward making pictures. I grew up in that decade so, it will always be the most influential on me in this regard, but I have noticed that many others born after me recognize it as well. It is certainly an influence on many filmmakers today, as most cite it as having a huge impact on them.

There are a lot of reasons the decade was so wonderful, but one of the big ones was, the pictures being made did come out of pure creativity rather than an assemblage of rules and formula. You were not as subject to that then and so, your picture did not have to be some sort of carbon copy of another successful picture.

You literally did get a wild diversity of films that were more representative of the people making them in the 1970s. Now in pictures today, diversity means you have checked a bunch of boxes on a list that shows you did certain things that are required if you want to make a film. Kind of strange, and it has resulted in far fewer great pictures getting made.

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Here's another list, so what do you think?

50 Most Critically-Acclaimed Films of 2022 (based only on 2022 end-of-year ballots)

1. AFTERSUN Charlotte Wells
2. TÁR Todd Field
3. THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN Martin McDonagh
4. DECISION TO LEAVE Park Chan-wook
5. NOPE Jordan Peele
6. SAINT OMER Alice Diop
7. EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE Dan Kwan & Daniel Scheinert
8. EO Jerzy Skolimowski
9. THE FABELMANS Steven Spielberg
10. RRR S.S. Rajamouli
11. ALL THE BEAUTY AND THE BLOODSHED Laura Poitras
12. CRIMES OF THE FUTURE David Cronenberg
13. THE ETERNAL DAUGHTER Joanna Hogg
14. TOP GUN: MAVERICK Joseph Kosinski
15. HAPPENING Audrey Diwan
16. NO BEARS Jafar Panahi
17. TRIANGLE OF SADNESS Ruben Östlund
18. ELVIS Baz Luhrmann
19. GUILLERMO DEL TORO'S PINOCCHIO Guillermo del Toro
20. ONE FINE MORNING Mia Hansen-Løve
21. BENEDICTION Terence Davies
22. ARMAGEDDON TIME James Gray
23. CORSAGE Marie Kreutzer
24. THE NOVELIST'S FILM Hong Sang-soo
25. HIT THE ROAD Panah Panahi
26. WOMEN TALKING Sarah Polley
27. PACIFICTION Albert Serra
28. KIMI Steven Soderbergh
29. THE BATMAN Matt Reeves
30. THE CATHEDRAL Ricky D'Ambrose
31. BONES AND ALL Luca Guadagnino
32. AFTER YANG Kogonada
33. APOLLO 10½: A SPACE AGE CHILDHOOD Richard Linklater
34. SHOWING UP Kelly Reichardt
35. THE WOMAN KING Gina Prince-Bythewood
36. LIVING Oliver Hermanus
37. FIRE OF LOVE Sara Dosa
38. THE QUIET GIRL Colm Bairéad
39. BARBARIAN Zach Cregger
40. IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE Hong Sang-soo
41. FUNNY PAGES Owen Kline
42. GLASS ONION: A KNIVES OUT MYSTERY Rian Johnson
43. ALL THAT BREATHES Shaunak Sen
44. SHE SAID Maria Schrader
45. JACKASS FOREVER Jeff Tremaine
46. FLUX GOURMET Peter Strickland
47. MARCEL THE SHELL WITH SHOES ON Dean Fleischer-Camp
48. MOONAGE DAYDREAM Brett Morgen
49. TURNING RED Domee Shi
50. WE’RE ALL GOING TO THE WORLD’S FAIR Ja
ne Schoenbrun
Not much to interest me. I watched Top Gun theatrically and streamed Triangle & Apollo. Watched half of Batman on a flight and streamed 15 minutes of Glass Onion. Will watch NOPE in due course.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
So another question for the group here...

How long do you think an actor can be a "star" now? By star, I mean an actor that plays a big role in a film having box office success. I am not talking about fame or celebrity, which count for nothing these days and seems more the realm of social media influencers than actors or artists of any kind.

To me it seems to now be very short lived. There are not really stars now that seem to hang around for a long time. I mean it was always hard for women, because the desire is always to find some new sweet young thing. Very competitive for women. Guys used to have longer runs. Tom Cruise has been around a long time but as he ages and "stars" not being what gets a picture made now as much as it once was, once he is gone, will we see those kind of long runs for a "movie star" anymore.

We've discussed that for male stars right now, the big guys seem to be Leo Decaprio and Dwayne Johnson. Leo has managed to get there never dipping his toe into franchise stuff. Johnson is your big headliner now in the world of franchise films/big budget blockbusters.

However, is there anybody that will come next after these guys? If there is, will they even have a run like Johnson? I don't really expect another DiCaprio because the kind of pictures he has made his name with have fallen so far out of favor.

So, will stars just be shooting stars, that flash across the sky rapidly and burn out, to be replaced by the next person in a couple years.

We have actors that are good actors, but they don't seem to carry any clout in getting people to see a picture now. We have a whole list of box office failures with solid actors in them...which is not really on the actors, it seems more to do with a variety of other factors.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Not much to interest me. I watched Top Gun theatrically and streamed Triangle & Apollo. Watched half of Batman on a flight and streamed 15 minutes of Glass Onion. Will watch NOPE in due course.

What were some of the pictures from 2022 that did interest you, Keith? Are you commenting more on the kinds of pictures they make now and prefer pictures from the past or are you saying the pictures you liked from 2022 are not on the list?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks