What's new

For the love of movies: The Past, Present, and Future of Cinema and what makes us fans (1 Viewer)

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
If you mean Memoirs of a Geisha (2005), I never saw it. I suppose I should, since it has Gong Li, Zhang Ziyi, and Michelle Yeoh in it. But I recall when it came out. My wife and I liked the TV show Medium, with Patricia Arquette. And one episode included an astonishingly shameless and in-your-face product placement / promotion for Memoirs of a Geisha. It rather soured us on seeing it. That it was critically drubbed didn't help.
that's what i meant,thank you for the movie title.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Paul Schrader makes a list of what he feels are the top ten pictures ever made each year and it changes a bit here and there. As of 2022, here is his list of the top ten greatest movies ever made:

1. Tokyo Story
2. Pickpocket
3. Rules of the Game
4. Citizen Kane
5. The Conformist
6. Vertigo
7. The Lady Eve
8. The Wild Bunch
9. Sunrise
10. 2001

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I think the only time I'd call what I saw at the Brattle "weird shit" was when I saw Why Has Bodhi-Dharma Left for the East? there. Great movie, though, so I'm not sure I'd call it "weird shit" nowadays.

I think the "weird shit" thing came out of taking friends to see Eraserhead, I was an early Lynch fan. They were kind of hot and cold on that and could not decide if they liked the film or not. I know when I got a bunch of people to go see The Elephant Man when it was released...well...they hated that and were not happy with me.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Paul Schrader makes a list of what he feels are the top ten pictures ever made each year and it changes a bit here and there. As of 2022, here is his list of the top ten greatest movies ever made:

1. Tokyo Story
2. Pickpocket
3. Rules of the Game
4. Citizen Kane
5. The Conformist
6. Vertigo
7. The Lady Eve
8. The Wild Bunch
9. Sunrise
10. 2001

I can't say my Top Ten -- if I was inclined to make one -- would match Schrader's, but every single one of his choices in that list are unquestionably great movies.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Like some of you, I imagine, I'm known as the movie guy in my immediate and extended family. Watching movies together can be a bonding experience, and since I know a lot of movies and have a big blu-ray collection, it's my privilege to introduce relatives to movies they haven't seen before.

A few months ago when I was visiting my elderly mother we watched several movies, including the 1944 film The Keys of the Kingdom starring Gregory Peck, and Spike Lee's Malcolm X starring Denzel Washington. She found these movies and others we watched powerful experiences, and afterward we'd sometimes have lively discussions about them. My Mom keeps claiming she really likes comedies, but actually when watching them tends to call them silly, while serious dramas really hold her interest much more.

A week ago I was with my younger sister and her family in a vacation home in coastal North Carolina, in the little town of Frisco. My sister's two daughters are teenagers, and had never seen Alien or Aliens. With my sister's enthusiastic okay we watched those two movies, and it was fun seeing how intensely the two newcomers to the movies reacted, including standing up on the on the couch and cheering on Ripley/Sigourney Weaver. I took a gamble and also brought my blu-ray of North by Northwest, and surprisingly they really liked that one too.

With my daughter, who is a big horror fan, I've introduced her to various horror movies, including The Thing and others, which she's really liked. She's in art school, and has ambitions to write and illustrate graphic novels someday, which will likely have horror elements. She hasn't seen much at all in the way of film noir before, and last night we watched Mildred Pierce, which still stands up, except for the unfortunate and racist portrayal of one minor character, which rather mars the movie. Anyway, after watching that I was pleased that my daughter said she hoped we could watch at least one more film noir before she goes back to college again. Not sure which one to pick, but some possibilities include Double Indemnity, Sunset Blvd, and Vertigo.

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Like some of you, I imagine, I'm known as the movie guy in my immediate and extended family. Watching movies together can be a bonding experience, and since I know a lot of movies and have a big blu-ray collection, it's my privilege to introduce relatives to movies they haven't seen before.

A few months ago when I was visiting my elderly mother we watched several movies, including the 1944 film The Keys of the Kingdom starring Gregory Peck, and Spike Lee's Malcolm X starring Denzel Washington. She found these movies and others we watched powerful experiences, and afterward we'd sometimes have lively discussions about them. My Mom keeps claiming she really likes comedies, but actually when watching them tends to call them silly, while serious dramas really hold her interest much more.

A week ago I was with my younger sister and her family in a vacation home in coastal North Carolina, in the little town of Frisco. My sister's two daughters are teenagers, and had never seen Alien or Aliens. With my sister's enthusiastic okay we watched those two movies, and it was fun seeing how intensely the two newcomers to the movies reacted, including standing up on the on the couch and cheering on Ripley/Sigourney Weaver. I took a gamble and also brought my blu-ray of North by Northwest, and surprisingly they really liked that one too.

With my daughter, who is a big horror fan, I've introduced her to various horror movies, including The Thing and others, which she's really liked. She's in art school, and has ambitions to write and illustrate graphic novels someday, which will likely have horror elements. She hasn't seen much at all in the way of film noir before, and last night we watched Mildred Pierce, which still stands up, except for the unfortunate and racist portrayal of one minor character, which rather mars the movie. Anyway, after watching that I was pleased that my daughter said she hoped we could watch at least one more film noir before she goes back to college again. Not sure which one to pick, but some possibilities include Double Indemnity, Sunset Blvd, and Vertigo.

It is always fun to introduce someone to a picture they have never seen and have them really enjoy it. I have a lot of people talk to me about film and ask me to make recommendations. In the past I always just recommended pictures I loved and did not think about it much but after some movie club experiences I now ask "Well, what are some movies that you really love?" and then try to base my recommendations off of what they like.

I am aware that outside of film buff type of people my tastes are not going to mesh with what many people might enjoy.

I have a teenage goddaughter that loves movies and books. She has written her first novel, which she discussed extensively with me when I last saw her. We talk about movies a lot and she loves introducing me to movies she loves. Lately that has been a bunch of the Studio Ghibli pictures. I have enjoyed them and it has been fun to talk to her about them. She has been asking me about basically teen pictures from the 1980s which she seems to have a real fondness for right now. That began with her seeing The Outsiders. Some of the ones I want to show her, her mom does not yet think she is ready to see. She is 17 and looking at colleges so I think she is ready but mom makes that call. Her dad says show them to her but he and I grew up with the same type of parenting where our parents let us watch everything. This was the 1970s I guess.

It is very cool to see pictures through her eyes and it makes me reconsider pictures and watch things I otherwise would not.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Not sure which one to pick, but some possibilities include Double Indemnity, Sunset Blvd, and Vertigo

All solid choices. Given her interest in graphic novels with likely horror elements I would recommend Sunset Blvd. considering its visual elements and cinematography or Vertigo given the psychological aspects of the film's protagonist.

Always nice to hear that younger folks are embracing some of the classics.

- Walter.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Noir is a fun one to try to get people into. I like showing people Touch of Evil that have not seen that. The Third Man, just a brilliant picture is another great one. Plus Kiss Me Deadly is one that really packs a punch. You can go a lot of ways with noir and Laura is another great introduction to noir.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

Right on Ben, It's always great to see the "light come on" when sharing something that you love to those you love, family and friends. And you're right, it IS a shared bonding opportunity for everyone. You never know what genre will light that spark, but sharing from your collection has the abilty to launch future explorations with them. Full speed ahead my friend...since they enjoyed NXNW go with Vertigo? that's my vote,LOL!!

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
If you watch those early disney movies from the 30's-50's,it's worth every viewing,it was pure disney at it's early magic.i don't think will another one like that again,and their won't be another one.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
All solid choices. Given her interest in graphic novels with likely horror elements I would recommend Sunset Blvd. considering its visual elements and cinematography or Vertigo given the psychological aspects of the film's protagonist.

Always nice to hear that younger folks are embracing some of the classics.

- Walter.
I took Walter's suggestion and showed my daughter Sunset Blvd.—and it was a hit!

First, I mentioned some of the conventions sometimes found in film noir, like flashbacks and voice-over narration. To illustrate that, I showed her a short segment from the old improv show on HBOmax, Whose Line is it Anyway?

When we watched the movie, she got the weird mixture of humor with a dash of horror in Sunset Blvd, and laughed and said "Well, that was unexpected!" when it was revealed that the funeral and casket were for a monkey....

Like me when I first saw it, she really liked the ending. I'm afraid that since she was little my spouse and I have once in a while said jokingly to each other, "I'm ready, Mr. DeMille, for my close-up," and she laughed again and said, "That's where that's from!" We both were amused as the poor guy is pulled out of the pool at the end, to his own narration. And we both agreed it was creative and grimly funny how he was narrating the end from the beyond.

Sunset-Blvd-a9b3f505.jpeg

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
I took Walter's suggestion and showed my daughter Sunset Blvd.—and it was a hit!

First, I mentioned some of the conventions sometimes found in film noir, like flashbacks and voice-over narration. To illustrate that, I showed her a short segment from the old improv show on HBOmax, Whose Line is it Anyway?

When we watched the movie, she got the weird mixture of humor with a dash of horror in Sunset Blvd, and laughed and said "Well, that was unexpected!" when it was revealed that the funeral and casket were for a monkey....

Like me when I first saw it, she really liked the ending. I'm afraid that since she was little my spouse and I have once in a while said jokingly to each other, "I'm ready, Mr. DeMille, for my close-up," and she laughed again and said, "That's where that's from!" We both were amused as the poor guy is pulled out of the pool at the end, to his own narration. And we both agreed it was creative and grimly funny how he was narrating the end from the beyond.

View attachment 148255

one of the greatest movies of all time,it's timeless,it put billy wilder,on the map.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
if you want to go back to the 80's classics,then one thing that comes to mind,is amadeus,it's a cinematic masterpiece,that has amazes audiences,and critics,has been going for over 40 years.an oscar winning movie.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Here are two interesting articles from the New York Times.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop

Cool articles. It's funny, when I was living through the 1980s I thought it was a hit or miss period for pictures. There were films I loved and a lot of schlock, I thought. Basically, the directors of the 1970s seemed to be having a tough time and there was a proliferation of sequels...mostly what seemed really bad ones. Churning out pictures with numbers after the title seemed to happen more often. The quality of the pictures seemed to rapidly decline the higher that number after the title got. I mean Chris Reeves was in a bunch of Superman movies after the first one but I think beyond the second film, they are now mostly forgotten and probably with good reason. Richard Pryor was the bad guy in a Superman sequel but I can't recall which one.

Now the 1980s is wrapped in the glow of nostalgia but, in all honesty, they were making better films back then. As I revisit or sometimes visit pictures from that decade for the first time, I find I actually really enjoy these films. Mostly, it is the writing which is the key. Now, most every picture to get it greenlit is supposed to be a franchise starter. So, the expectation is that if someone agrees to fund a film they are going to get more than one. Doesn't matter what the genre is you are kind of expected to open the door with the first film to more pictures.

I do think the 1980s are now the largest influence on current filmmaking. I mean more than other decades of film. I guess that is how it generally works though because as we move through generations they are more influenced by later decades. I know that people in their late 30s through their 40s seem to love the 1980s. Hell, even my generation looks back on the 1980s and loves it.

I didn't at the time. Did not like the music, the styles, and a lot of the pictures. Time seems to have mellowed me though as I seem to enjoy the hell out of 1980s films these days and I am finding even films I did not like back then....well...I like them now. I'll still take a pass on a lot of the music though, ha!

I do think science fiction was enjoying a boom back then and there was a great combination of ideas colliding with the ever improving effects of the time. So, it is a much better period for science fiction films. Now, unfortunately, most science fiction seems to be required to be action pictures with sci-fi window dressing. Not a fan of this approach and I wish they would take some lessons from 1980s science fiction.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry

They forgot The Road Warrior (which opened in Australia in Dec 1981, but worldwide in 1982).

And, with a little slide over to the paranormal, Poltergeist.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Watched the first half of Vertigo with my daughter yesterday, up to the fall of "Madeleine," which was when my daughter needed to go away on a trip for a few days. She actually likes hearing shorts bits of background and analysis of the movies we watch, seemingly just as much as I enjoy getting her responses and thoughts as a first-time viewer. As we watched this scene from near the beginning, I mentioned how production design can build character. The artsy and cluttered apartment that Midge has helps to build her character almost as much as the wonderful performance by Barbara Bel Geddes. Anyway, my daughter was drawn into the mystery of it, wondering what actually was happening. We had a laugh together at the rare moment of comedy when Midge reveals her painting, before that goes wrong and Scotty doesn't take well to the witty reality check it might offer. We obviously left watching it on a cliffhanger, but she mentioned that she was eager to get back to it when she returns to find out what happens. To me Vertigo is the last film noir of the classic era. One book I have puts the end of the classic era with Psycho, but I'd say that Psycho is both the first slasher movie, as well as maybe the first of the neo-noirs.

vertigo mise-en-scene.jpeg
Midge's painting.jpeg
vertigo poster.jpeg

Last edited:

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Watched the first half of Vertigo with my daughter yesterday, up to the fall of "Madeleine," which was when my daughter needed to go away on a trip for a few days. She actually likes hearing shorts bits of background and analysis of the movies we watch, seemingly just as much as I enjoy getting her responses and thoughts as a first-time viewer. As we watched this scene from near the beginning, I mentioned how production design can build character. The artsy and cluttered apartment that Midge has helps to build her character almost as much as the wonderful performance by Barbara Bel Geddes. Anyway, my daughter was drawn into the mystery of it, wondering what actually was happening. We had a laugh together at the rare moment of comedy when Midge reveals her painting, before that obviously goes wrong and Scotty doesn't take well to the witty reality check it might offer. We obviously left watching it on a cliffhanger, but she mentioned that she was eager to get back to it when she returns to find out what happens. To me Vertigo is the last film noir of the classic era. One book I have puts the end of the classic era with Psycho, but I'd say that Psycho is both the first slasher movie, as well as maybe the first of the neo-noirs.

View attachment 148472 View attachment 148474 View attachment 148475

In truth, if I was drawing these sort of lines, I might list Vertigo as the first neo-noir. Beautiful film and wonderful that you are enjoying these together with your daughter. I don't have children of my own but I have a whole bunch of children that I have relationships with. Only my goddaughter would I try something like Vertigo with. She is the most likely to enjoy something like this and I would be thrilled if she did. I only see her on occasion and most of the time she is very excited to show me something so we watch her film choice. Or she wanders through my library of films and picks something out. She has had this obsession with 1980s pictures that are focused on teens. I just let her chase her own obsessions and follow them to what she wants to see. It's funny to see her having excavated the "Brat Pack" actors of the 1980s like some sort of cultural archeologist and have her asking me questions about them and what it was like when they were in their heyday.

She laughed when I told her I was not into the Brat Pack in the 1980s and that I did not find them fascinating or cool back then. Her mom, who is several years younger than me did though and we laughed about that. The discussions are a lot of fun and it is really interesting to me to watch something like Ferris Bueller's Day Off with her and see her absolutely loving a picture like that.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks