What's new

For the Love of Camera Bags (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The UD35 looks nice... although looks like they changed it some between the older non-leather(?) version and the newer classic. I probably would've considered it earlier this year if I didn't need something that fits a bulky-ish 14-15" (work) laptop. Maybe I'll still consider it for my next carry-everywhere bag... although I don't usually need the bag to store a DSLR w/ 70-200 f/2.8 (or similar) attached -- wonder if it'll fit something like the Dell XPS 15 laptop, which claims to be closer to typical 13" laptop size (though I'd say it's more like a very slim 14").

IF you don't find the need for certain features specific to the UD35, eg. tall profile for DSLR w/ big/long lens attached, or would like something bigger to fit more (including maybe a larger laptop), then you might want to check out the Tenba DNA series as well -- maybe the DNA 15.

With the Tenba DNA 15, which can hold more gear plus a 15" laptop, I like the extra strap they included to help weight distribution and steadier lugging when I sling the bag behind onto my lower-back/butt -- definitely good when I wanna load it up and expect to lug it all that much. Tenba also just (finally) come out w/ a Slim version that's less bulky and holds less (but still can handle 15" laptop), but not sure if the Slim version includes that extra strap... though you might be able to buy one as accessory given how it works, if you find the need. The new Slim version also uses the newer silent velcro tech that's on the smaller DNA bags, but not on the regular DNA 15. I might've gone w/ the Slim version, if it came out early this year.

FWIW, when I bought the DNA 15, I was actually considering the substantially more expensive Think Tank UD50, which is similar in size, but decided I didn't like the boxy look-and-feel for that size bag. For the smaller UDs, I'd probably feel differently, but for the larger ones like UD50, the boxy-ness took away from the otherwise nice touches of leather, etc -- felt too much like just a zippered leather box w/ a strap. :P

IF you can, I'd definitely recommend checking them all out in person before committing -- although a generous return policy would also help -- especially if you're going to spend that much on bags...

_Man_

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
UD35 won't be great for 2 bodies. 1 body 3 lenses, puffer, flash and 13" MacBook Air is no sweat tho, for reference.

Have you done much Photowalking? Id suggest slowing it down and focus on one body and Max 2 lenses. Be in the moment, have fun hanging with other people. Don't go gear nuts. JM2c

If you are gonna Photowalking with 2 bodies get a black rapid double

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
UD35 won't be great for 2 bodies. 1 body 3 lenses, puffer, flash and 13" MacBook Air is no sweat tho, for reference.

Have you done much Photowalking? Id suggest slowing it down and focus on one body and Max 2 lenses. Be in the moment, have fun hanging with other people. Don't go gear nuts. JM2c

If you are gonna Photowalking with 2 bodies get a black rapid double

I will be focusing on one DSLR body, with two lense max.
I just want to bring an extra DSLR if something happens to the other one.
Once I get my new Nikon in the next month or so, I will make my Canon my secondary/just in case camera.

The one time I will be having two camera bodies is a photowalk I will be doing with friends in San Francisco and one of them will be a 35mm SLR.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
So I've switched to a non-photo backpack for my day-to-day, non-photo bag and am selling my Think Tank Urban Disguise 35, since I haven't used it for awhile. I think I'm kind of over the whole messenger bag approach to carrying gear, since at this phase of my life I don't go walking around taking photos where I need to be discreet about what I'm lugging around. I also don't need a bajillion pockets and storage spots for my gear and find the numerous options can actually lead to misplacing items in the bag (which is super annoying -- "I know it's in here somewhere!!!"). Especially with the Think Tank messenger bags that fit an attached 70-200 zoom, I find the internal pocket that's meant to hold a tablet usually gets in the way of quickly and cleanly putting away the camera (the pentaprism ledge usually gets hung up on the lip of the pocket).

So lately I've been using a Domke F-2 as my go-to bag, and more often than not the bag is just being used for transport to an event where I'll be using a shoulder harness and maybe a belt with a medium sized pouch for accessories. I can also work out of the Domke bag if needed, since its minimalist design is perfectly suited for that kind of thing (i.e. no internal pocket to get hung up on), helped by the fact the camera with 70-200 sits in there horizontally instead of vertically.

Now that I've basically written off messenger bags, I am exploring how I like holster bags meant to carry just a camera with an attached zoom and a few accessories, maybe a second lens in separate case. I'd likely use this in more of a recreational hiking scenario, rather than for work, but we'll see what comes of that.

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I was looking for a single bag to carry my smaller travel camera kit, plus iPad, Kindle and other travel accessories. In the past, I had two shoulder bags -- one for the camera gear, and another for everything else. In an attempt to combine things before our winter trip to Key West, I bought this Estarer Camera Messenger Bag. It arrived today, and I am able to fit the following:

Canon EOS R w/ RF 24-105L lens attached
Canon M50 w/ EF-M 22mm f/2 pancake attached
three additional EF-M lenses
Canon Speedlite 270EX II
CPL filter
Battery chargers and extra batteries for both cameras
Spider Black Widow holster for M50
Shoulder strap for EOS R
Wallet for memory cards
iPad
Kindle
Space left over for ear buds, smart phone, eye glass case, etc.

I can reconfigure the camera compartment depending on what gear I plan on bringing. Last year, I just brought my Canon M50 and assorted lenses, and was planning on doing the same this trip -- until I bought the EOS R. I really want to play with it while we are in the Keys.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
What a bargain at $38.
That's one of the things that attracted me to this bag. It received excellent reviews for build quality, but was a lot less expensive than the name brand bags I was looking at. I doubt I would have splurged on something more expensive right now, but at this price it became an impulse purchase.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Very nice, especially for that seriously bargain price!

I'm tempted to get one now too... as I could probably use something like that, especially if it can also securely (and comfortably) attach a travel tripod underneath.

The bags I have that can store a laptop (or Surface Pro) are kinda big and bulky (though not as big/bulky as say the duffle-sized Domke F2, haha) and meant more for bigger DSLR kit that could even easily (enough) include my Tamron 150-600 -- and yet the Tenba DNA15 can't attach a travel tripod... though that would likely be too much lugging I guess. I considered adding/switching to a Tenba DNA13 or a slimmer version of the DNA15, but that seemed a bit expensive just to be able to carry a laptop or tablet mainly for the sporadic trips (and still not be able to attach travel tripod) -- and I usually find just bringing my carry-everywhere Kata slingbag plus the Tenba DNA15 (for laptop to be used at hotel) to work fine enough... though the combo is a bit much for flying (unless I just squeeze the slingbag empty into my luggage I guess), which I'm doing more these days...

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have a LowePro that’s very similar to the, and it’s my favorite bag.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Very nice, especially for that seriously bargain price!

I'm tempted to get one now too... as I could probably use something like that, especially if it can also securely (and comfortably) attach a travel tripod underneath.

There are straps on the bottom for attaching a tripod or monopod. My tripod's a little too big, but a smaller travel tripod would probably attach okay. I'm not sure how well the bag would stand up with a tripod underneath it, though.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I just bought a Think Tank (Mindshift) Backlight 26L backpack. We returned from Hawaii a couple of weeks ago, and I decided that carrying both a backpack for my camera gear (Lowepro Flipside 400AW) and a separate shoulder bag for my other stuff (laptop or iPad, Kindle, ear buds, phone charger, etc) just wasn't working anymore. This pack is about the same physical size as the 400AW, but has more space, including dedicated compartments for a laptop and tablet. I should be able to eliminate the extra bag when we travel.

The downside is that if I load the bag with everything I can conceivably bring along, it is quite heavy. Fortunately, I rarely travel with my Canon RF 800mm f/11 lens, which is by far my biggest & heaviest lens now. When I do, it's via car instead of plane, so I only need to carry the bag between the car and lodging. Without the RF 800mm, the weight is fine, as my gear has gotten smaller and lighter since my transition to mirrorless bodies from dSLRs.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm just now learning what I can tolerate capacity wise. 30L is about the max I'd want to go and not for very long, like international travel. The sweet spot is probably around 25L for a day pack.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I'm just now learning what I can tolerate capacity wise. 30L is about the max I'd want to go and not for very long, like international travel. The sweet spot is probably around 25L for a day pack.
I agree. This Think Tank 26L is about as big as I want to go. Several years ago, I briefly tried a Lowepro Flipside 500AW, and it was just too big. Besides, I want a bag that I can fit underneath an airline seat just in case the overhead compartments are full, and the 26L meets that criteria.

Think Tank also makes a 18L version of the backpack that is intriguing. I currently have a Lowepro Flipside 300 that I used again after moving to mirrorless gear -- it had been buried in my closet for years. My wife is going to try and sell my Flipside 400AW. If she gets a decent price, I may be tempted to buy the 18L, too, for when I want to travel lighter and then sell the Flipside 300. However the 26L will probably be my main bag.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yeah, agreed that actually exceeding 25L may be a tad too much, especially for all-day use.

I definitely don't like filling my 30L Peak Design Everyday Backpack to full capacity either -- 25L sounds about right for my real max unless I won't be keeping it on my back for long. And probably much prefer to keep it under say 20L for all-day comfort, if I can...

When I only need a modest, single body kit w/out travel tripod and tablet/laptop (and no sizable water bottle, etc), which is still often the case, I still prefer to go lighter and stick w/ my old Kata slingpack instead -- if I'm lugging full size, heavy-duty tripod w/ much of any walking, I might also prefer this to make lugging tripod easier... though that depends...

I really wonder though about how easy it actually is to swing a nearly fully loaded 26L TT BackLight to your front for quick-and-easy access thru the backside. Such quick-and-easy access (w/out actually taking the bag off and putting it down somewhere) has always been an issue/concern/desire for me w/ photo backpacks, which was why I never saw/found one I felt satisfied enough until the PD Everyday last autumn...

_Man_

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Yeah, agreed that actually exceeding 25L may be a tad too much, especially for all-day use.

I definitely don't like filling my 30L Peak Design Everyday Backpack to full capacity either -- 25L sounds about right for my real max unless I won't be keeping it on my back for long. And probably much prefer to keep it under say 20L for all-day comfort, if I can...

When I only need a modest, single body kit w/out travel tripod and tablet/laptop (and no sizable water bottle, etc), which is still often the case, I still prefer to go lighter and stick w/ my old Kata slingpack instead -- if I'm lugging full size, heavy-duty tripod w/ much of any walking, I might also prefer this to make lugging tripod easier... though that depends...

I really wonder though about how easy it actually is to swing a nearly fully loaded 26L TT BackLight to your front for quick-and-easy access thru the backside. Such quick-and-easy access (w/out actually taking the bag off and putting it down somewhere) has always been an issue/concern/desire for me w/ photo backpacks, which was why I never saw/found one I felt satisfied enough until the PD Everyday last autumn...

_Man_
The Lowepro Flipside I have been using for years has the ability to sling around to the front so you can access your gear without removing the pack. Honestly, it's a feature I have never used, so how well it works with the Think Tank was of no concern. In fact, one of the first things I did when the pack arrived was remove the "neck strap" that was attached to the inner flap. I always remove a backpack when I need to access the gear inside.

GeorgeHolland

Stunt Coordinator

_Man_

I do a lot of hiking and have a Think Tank BackLight 36L and even with a 600f4 with camera body attached, I can slip off the shoulder straps, swing the backpack around without removing it with the belt still on, un-zip the pack, remove the lens/body, zip the bag back up, swing the backpack back around while putting the shoulder straps back on and start shooting. This is a benefit if I’m on the move, spot an interesting subject, and want to get a shot off as quickly as possible.

This works well when out on a hike or in a location where removing the backpack isn’t practical and there isn’t a good place to take it off and lay it down.

If I will be in the same spot and have time and a convenient place to take the backpack off to remove the camera/body, I will and replace the camera and put the backpack back on when I am done.

Even without the ability to remove the camera while keeping the backpack on, it is a great backpack that is light, balanced and relatively cool on the back.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Unfortunately TT no longer makes it.
Ah he’ll that stinks. Looks like this is the closest replacement:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members