What's new

For the Love of Camera Bags (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Start with Think Tank products, like the Urban Disguise line. I have the UD 35 v2. Up until recently I didn't really use it as more than my office bag, but have started using it loaded up with gear for extended periods. Usually I have shoulder soreness from shoulder bag straps, but for whatever reason I've found the UD35 very comfortable and sustainable to use over a long period. The padding is thick, but doesn't seem that remarkable so I'm still puzzled by my experience.

LowePro will probably have something close to that if your budget is a little tighter.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There are fancier and much more expensive bags, but you might look for a deal on the LowePro Event Messenger 250. That really is my favorite, messenger style bag. I know I could find something I like even better for a couple hundred $ or more, but I got the 250 for $40. It can hold a body with a fairly large lens mounted, and 4 other lenses, or 2 plus a large (70-200 2.8) lens. Plus filters, batteries and so on. It's great for the price. My large, "hold everything" bag is a LowePro Magnum 650, which is really (HUGE!) big, but there are two smaller sizes. LowePro seems to be looked down on these days, but I've liked them for decades. The Think Tanks really look nice. I just don't want to spend the $ on them.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Start with Think Tank products, like the Urban Disguise line. I have the UD 35 v2. Up until recently I didn't really use it as more than my office bag, but have started using it loaded up with gear for extended periods. Usually I have shoulder soreness from shoulder bag straps, but for whatever reason I've found the UD35 very comfortable and sustainable to use over a long period. The padding is thick, but doesn't seem that remarkable so I'm still puzzled by my experience.

LowePro will probably have something close to that if your budget is a little tighter.

Money really won't be an issue.
I have plenty of time between now and October.

I'm definitely gonna need something that will lessen shoulder strain.
As I will be using these bags, especially the messenger/camera bag for all the walking I will be doing.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I've been looking this afternoon.
Here are the two bags I've been looking to get.

The first bag I need is Airport, city to city travel for all of my cameras and lenses.
Vivitar Camera Backpack
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G62CSP...olid=2HZVKIJPAKASI&coliid=IJXHPJ3ZK44F3&psc=1

The second bag is a messenger bag that can hold my Chromebook, Camera, few lenses and some accessories.
Lowepro Event Messenger 250

Now I'm still looking but these are the ones I need for my needs.
But I'm also considering the Urban 35

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't like backpacks either. Sling packs are much better. You just can't go as large.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Okay Sam,

I'm gonna purchase the Think Tank version.
It will be my bag for Burbank.
But it's also coming with me to San Francisco.
I'm making it into a 3 1/2 week vacation.
So I'm really gonna test the limits with the bag.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Is the 35 big enough?

Here is what I have or will have soon.

Samsung Chromebook
Canon Rebel T5
Canon lenses (3)
Nikon D7200
Nikon lenses (2 or 3)
35mm Yashica w/flash
(2) holgas
Fujifilm Instax Mini 70
Accessories: all the roll film, extra batteries, chargers, smaller stuff like pens and lense cleaner etc.

Now some of the stuff, like the holgas and chargers and such can go in one of my clothes bag that will be a carry-on.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Cameron,
From last year's HTF Meet.
Would that be the UD 35 V2? :)
DSCN3337.jpg

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm not sure if it's big enough to hold everything you're bringing and still be functional though.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I wouldn't think it's even close to big enough for all that.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I'm not sure if it's big enough to hold everything you're bringing and still be functional though.

Well, I'm taking things for two trips (cities)
I will plan accordingly for what city, area or event I'll be going to.
For studio stuff, I will function with one DSLR.
Our Photowalk, I will probably bring two DSLR's and a Holga.
San Fran photowalks I will bring a 35mm and one DSLR.
I will also have the Fuji Instax everywhere, as it's somewhat portable that can fit in a compartment.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Well, I'm taking things for two trips (cities)
I will plan accordingly for what city, area or event I'll be going to.
For studio stuff, I will function with one DSLR.
Our Photowalk, I will probably bring two DSLR's and a Holga.
San Fran photowalks I will bring a 35mm and one DSLR.
I will also have the Fuji Instax everywhere, as it's somewhat portable that can fit in a compartment.

But that's why I wanted that Vivatar backpack, just for airport travel for everything.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you're planning the backpack just to carry equipment, but not to work out of, then it makes sense. Look also at the Case Logic backpacks. I have a sling and a couple backpacks and they're well made and a great value. Amazon has a nice, cheap one under their own brand. It was uncomfortable for me because it's too short, but I'm 6' 6", so it's probably fine for most people.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
If you're planning the backpack just to carry equipment, but not to work out of, then it makes sense. Look also at the Case Logic backpacks. I have a sling and a couple backpacks and they're well made and a great value. Amazon has a nice, cheap one under their own brand. It was uncomfortable for me because it's too short, but I'm 6' 6", so it's probably fine for most people.

I'm 6ft 1 :)
well, I'm going to get the UD 35 v2 as my walk around bag.
Also going to get the vivitar backpack for airport travel.
And I might also get a simple sling for a second camera.
I have the nice cameras, now it's time to get the nice bags to go with them.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I don't like backpacks either. Sling packs are much better. You just can't go as large.

I prefer the opposite. Had one sling pack, and it was very hard on the back, as it did not distribute the weight well. I primarily use two different backpacks -- the Lowepro Flipside 400AW and Flipside 300 -- depending on how much gear I'll be carrying. The 400AW can hold two dSLR's, a telephoto lens, a standard zoom lens, a wide angle lens, plus my small mirrorless EOS M camera, along with accessories. This pack is still small enough to fit under an airline seat if necessary. The Flipside 300 is smaller, and gets used if I'll only be taking one dSLR and fewer lenses. The Flipsides do allow you to remove gear without putting the pack on the ground, but I never use that feature -- I never even use the belt strap that needs to be secured in order to take advantage of this feature. I do like that the pack opening is against my back, so no one can open the pack and steal any gear while it's on my back in a crowded airport.

Backpacks work better for me, as they are easier to carry through airports while also dealing with luggage, plus I can use it to carry a subset of my gear while hiking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks