What's new

For the love of BASS!!! (1 Viewer)

terence

Supporting Actor
This one is for all the Bass heads, Nutts and Freaks.

Can you remember where you were, what you were listening too when you first fell in love (or came out of the closet) with bass in HT?!

I was in a HT store here in Atlanta about 4 years a go. The gear in this dedicated room was....

-Proceed Pre Amp
-Proceed Amps
-Proceed DVD player
-Revel Speakers
-Velodyne HGS 18

Disney's Tarzan, The Matrix was the demo. I thought i knew what REAL Bass was....boy was i wrong after those movies i was hooked like a kid who had his first taste of candy. I love bass like a fat kid loves cake and i had to get close as i could to get that kind of bass in my HT. Now DVD's have bass trolling into the teens which made me love bass even more. Thing is $$$ plays a big part in achieving bass ecstasy. So it took time (years) to getting where I am today. I tell one thing about HT, the more I learn about this stuff the less I know.

That's my story, what's yours?

Nick P

Second Unit
My first taste was around 1995 at a local department store which had a modest HT demo room. They were playing Jurassic Park through a Yamaha setup which had Yamaha's then top of the line sub. I can't remember the model number, YST something, it had dual 7 inch drivers and a 70w amp. I thought it sounded fantastic when the Brachiosaurus came crashing down towards the beginning. But, I was forever hooked a short time later when my friend invited me to go sub shopping with him. We went to a stereo boutique store and they were demoing the laser disk of Disney's Aladdin on a front projector with a Velodyne F-1500. Now we were talking! I'll never forget feeling a thump in the back of the couch when the bass hit. That was it for me, I've been a bass nut ever since. I currently have a dual SVS 20-39CS+/S1000 combo in my HT and I'm happy as a clam!

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
i got hooked while watching gladiator on a nice pair of meridian DSP8000's. they have 3 12's each... and they are all independantly powered. yummy. even at low levels (you could whisper to the person next to you without leaning over), they were authoritative.

now i have a deftech supercube reference (1 active 14" driver, 2 passive 14" drivers, 1800 watts), and am upgrading to a velodyne DD-18 in february. i MIGHT end up with 2 DD-15's instead. :D

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
When I built my first properly-working subwoofer two years ago (high-excursion 10, ported box, 150 watts, still use it today as my main sub), there was no hope for me after that. I am now an enlightened bass head, and hopefully I will soon be building a sub that will allow me to overcome the limitations of my current sub and satisfy me for a long time afterwards. I used to think my sub was boomy or lacking definition when what I was really hearing was a lack of power (only 150 watts into a driver that really wants 250) coupled with the presence of true low-end extension. My next sub (as designed -- plans won't change though they might get delayed a bit for lack of funds) will be a lot more adequately powered with the new Parts Express 500-watt plate amplifier.

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
What a coincidence! My first time was in a store with a Velodyne HGS18 with Tarzan as well. Now some time has passed and my SVS B4+ is almost here. :)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
My first experiance with real serious bass came when I was
a wee lad of maybe 15 years of age.. I was in the local
Silo (kind of like Best Buy.. ) and I heard the Mighty
Gnat Fart reproduced on the $3200.00 Lifestyle System from
Bose... Wow I was in Shock and Awe.. I never knew any
pistonic speaker could reproduce the ultra low frequency
energy generated by the Mighty Gnat Fart! But sure enough
Bose can do it!

It still makes me smile (after I laugh)to this day!

:D

John S

Senior HTF Member
It was the first time, I ever had enough amps to actually run bi-amp with an electronic cross over with my band's PA setup. That night, I had several audience members, tell me we were one of the best sounding bands they ever heard. I have never not electronically crossover bi-amp'd on my home music, home theater, car sound, or professional sound reinforcement ever since.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Mine was a dealer demo in a small audio store near my parents that I visted during a christmas sale. They were busy setting up a demo of dual paradigm servo 15's for a guy that like pink floyd. When they started to test everything they closed the door and cranked it up:D Given that the room was likely about 12 by 14 at the most those dual p'digms really set a benchmark that I still judge every sub against today.

terence

Supporting Actor
I would like to thank everyone has posted their stories so far. Also i see a lot of people have looked at this thread, come on fellas share the love! Everyone has a story when they first fell in love with bass in this hobby. You know this is the time of year for sharing & all that good stuff. :D

Nathan Porteous

Stunt Coordinator
AAH my first serious bass experence was listining to 3 15 rockford fosgate subs with 900 watts rms to each in a 95 chevy ext cab it was nuts. I never thought i'd ever hear bass like that in my life again, it was so loud i thought i quit breathing!!!. while i'll still am searching for home theater bass greatness about 5 years ago i herd at my local av shop, paradigm had some sort of demonstration about the pw2200. It was one of their sound rooms 16 by 20 they had 4 pws stacked on top of each other in the 2 front corners of the room and put on jurassic park. Let me tell u It was amazing it took me 5 min just to get my head on straight. That is the thought of all my dreams
Well 2 down 6 to go:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks