For the lawyers, lexicographers, or lay...what does 'by the 2nd day' mean?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Peter Kim, Nov 1, 2004.

1. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

I have a bill due on a monthly basis and in the terms of agreement, it states that the full amount is due 'by the 2nd day of each month'.

Somehow, the word 'by' is throwing me off. Will I be assessed a late charge if I pay on the 2nd?

Thanks!

2. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

Well, I'm not a lawyer but I pay lots of bills [​IMG] (unfortunately). "By" usually means at the end of that day the money must be received or processed (depending on how you are paying).

Kenneth

3. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Thanks Kenneth. I really hate paying any late charges. I had forgotten about this payment until today (past business hours). You've confirmed to me what I believed but felt unsure.

It's odd how the most basic & trivial of a word can occassionally present such confusion when analyzed too much.

4. Steve Felix

Steve Felix Supporting Actor

It seems like that should mean the payment is due the day before the day it's due "by" since "by" means "next to," but the fifth entry on dictionary.com is: "Not later than."

So, Kenneth is right, you're safe.

5. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

And then there are the credit card companies that say if they haven't finished processing the payment by the end of that day, it's late. I recall there were some class action settlements regarding that practice.

6. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

Even if the payment is slightly late, you can often get a late charge waived if your payment history is good and you ask nicely.