for the folks who work in the film/tv industry....

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Brent_H, Oct 13, 2003.

1. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

I am really interested in getting into the business side of movie-making. i.e. production manager or something of that nature. I was just wondering what sort of direction to take with something like that. I imagine its mostly your "regular" business degree, but with an emphasis on the entertainment part of it. Any schools that would be good for this (besides UCLA or USC because I can't get into either). lol With anything, I assume the best way to get a job in the industry is by way of the internship you do, so I understand I probably need to go to school in Los Angeles or there abouts...I am half-way through college right now, so its about time to decide what to do for sure.

Thanks for any help... [​IMG]

~Brent

2. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

maybe I would be better off gettting by BS in Business Mgmt. here and then just move to LA....I dunno. I am so lost. Someone help me out, pleeease [​IMG]

~Brent

3. hwshi

hwshi Stunt Coordinator

brent get yourself hired on a movie/commercial/music video as a production assistant and work your way up. no one gives a rat's ass about your schooling. as a P.A. you'll get a taste of all the departments,get paid, and you might change your mind about what you want to do in film, or if you want to be involved at all.the most important things when you start out is making it to call on time, lasting the whole day while being usefull, and having a license.almost everyone works their way up, the few exceptions are relatives and D.P/director with a hot reel/film.
    good luck

4. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

hwshi--

thanks for the info dude....can i ask how you know this stuff? [​IMG]

by license, i assume you mean a driver's license? heh

ok anyways, thanks again..

brent

5. Parker

Parker Agent

Get a job as a PA. They're pretty easy to get, especially on a TV show. Internships are only good in college, and besides, they don't usually require an internship to get a PA position. From there, it's what you make of it. I will suggest that you not be too pushy- there's a difference between eager and annoying. A lot of PA's have trouble figuring that one out.

6. hwshi

hwshi Stunt Coordinator

no problem Brent, i am in the business(property master).
    yes i meant a drivers license.
    any questions feel free to email or pm me.i'm on a job right now so my hours are erratic so i might not answer right away.

7. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

Having gone to graduate school in Los Angeles, I made some friends who worked in the entertainment industry. Two of them got degrees from Marquette (in Milwaukee) and moved out to L.A. afterwards (I knew them before I entered grad school). One has been working with Burnim-Murray (sp?) Productions, specifically on the "Real World" and "Road Rules" shows (and all of their spin-offs). The other worked as a production assistant for the Dennis Miller show, Mr. Show (Damn her- lucky woman!), and Hollywood Squares.

Like any job, I would advice you to somehow gain a realistic picture of what working in the industry is actuallylike (and what specific positions are like as well). I have a friend who recently started working in human resources for the E! Channel and he said it's too early to tell whether or not it's an industry he'd like to stay in.

8. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

thanks for all the input guys...keep it comin!

so I guess I might as well finish up school here and then move to LA and start looking for something...it helps that I will be debt free with no school loans when I move out there. What a relief. I don't need to start off in the hole.