For the canadians: Are YOU going boxing day shopping?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSo, Dec 25, 2002.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    How bout it guys? Futureshop, A&B sound are known for their HUGE sales they have on boxing day (also their even huger lineups).
    And the malls are gonna be packed to the brim, you guys gonna go boxing day shopping? Got anything in mind you wanna get?
    Me? I gotta work (i work in the mall) from 7am to 12pm, after that, ill prolly see if theres anyhting worth lining up for. I HATE lining up for anything. Whether its to shop, or to buy my lunch in the cafeteria.

2. Shane Bos

Shane Bos Second Unit

Yes I'm hitting both A&B and FS in the morning for DVD's and maybe a digital camera. I start work at 11am in THE mall.

By THE I mean the World's largest Mall, West Edmonton Mall.

3. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I have heard the term boxing day but have to plead ignorance on what it is
    (besides a day off)

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
  5. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    I'll probably be wandering the alleyways of the underground city in downtown Montreal (imagine Metropolis in reverse) just to observe the madness that is Boxing Day. I probably won't buy anything in particular since I already got everything I wanted before Christmas (Dremel tool, speaker stands filled with kitty litter, quiet computer fans, 4 meter Toslink cable...) [​IMG]

6. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

I heard boxing day is called so because there was always a big boxing match being fought? Correct me if I'm wrong. I doubt I'll be shopping either, nothing I want is on sale.

7. Gui A

Gui A Supporting Actor

I thought Boxing Day came from having to throw away all the boxes the gifts came in.
    Anyway, I'll be off to some little comic book store on the west end. They only have sales twice a year, and they're always great. (It's The Comic Post, if any one wants to know)
    Then off to the Eaton Centre and surrounding stores.

8. Caleb Penner

Caleb Penner Agent

I thought boxing day is named such because people used to give their mailman a gift on the day after Christmas, since no mail came on Christmas day.

Could be wrong, though.

No boxing day shopping for me... My argument is that you may be able to get deals, but that you just end up spending money you wouldn't normally *because* you can get the deals.

Caleb

9. Grant B

Grant B Producer

glad i am not the only one who doesnt know what it means[​IMG]

10. David Ely

David Ely Supporting Actor

I'll be heading down to Big Al's (aquarium store) to finally get my saltwater tank!!!!! YAHOO!!!!!!!!

11. wayne p

wayne p Stunt Coordinator

It is my understanding Boxing day is an old British tradition. Servants and other household staff had their holiday the day after Christmas & their employers would often give them a box (the box being a tip).

Although the meaning of this additional holiday day is lost in Canada I am only to glad to have it. I have sympathy for Americans when it comes to holidays as they have the least days off in the Western world.

12. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    yes and no. Futureshop.ca had the same prices online so I ordered a digital camera and a 128meg CF card for the same "door Buster" prices and didn't even put on pants to do it [​IMG]

13. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Hey, i went Boxing day shopping without pants on... BUt was promptly asked to leave the premisis to find some pants... [​IMG]
    Anyways, my mom bought me that Cicero CDwriter for $30 after rebate. turns out its an OPTORITE burner, same as my friend got for Xmas prolly more than 2x the price [​IMG]
    and some jeans... Man so many hotties at the mall today...

14. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    I went downtown and as expected found a ton of people inside Future Shop. However, what I didn't find was any significant price drops. In fact, the boxing day prices on most items were only slightly lower than their everyday prices! If you were looking for bargains, you'd do better heading over to the stores next door!
    All I picked up downtown was a replacement computer fan and two DVDs, items I was already planning to purchase regardless of Boxing Day. I got 10% off one of the DVDs which was nice enough. But aside from that, I was not impressed with this year's prices. I get better deals with my preferred merchants the rest of the year than I could ever get from the mega-stores on Boxing day.

15. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah i noticed the sales weren't that extreme this year anywhere...

BUt i hear A&B still had great sales, and huge lineups to go along iwth it