? For the Calibrators/Calibrationists

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don_K, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Don_K

Don_K Agent

The old Hitachi 50" is dying, and I'm getting through the denial phase. Eight flawless years, and three of horrendous repair costs.

Before I go trooping in to the showrooms, I'm trying to gather up information, and it looks like there's a LOT to be learned.

I read a lot about calibration. Is there a lot to be gained by a calibration after the truck drops the set off? What am I looking at, cost wise? How do I find a qualified individual?

TIA

Don

Oh... My trig is a little rusty, but if my current 4:3 screen is 30" high, I'll need to get about a 60" (diagonal) 16:9 screen to not lose any picture height?

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

It depends a lot on the condition of the TV out of the box. Luck of the draw ... did you get a 85% Tv or a 50% TV ...

Sort of like getting a new car that gets 10 mpg for mileage ... if you didn't know that the car was supposed to get 30 mpg when fully optimized ... you'd be a happy pig in mud.

Problem is ... without a proper frame of reference, it is hard to tell if things are as good as it gets ... or is there more.

Calibration costs vary depending on what you want done. A low of $275 for what we call an oil change. Tune ups range from $400 to $600 or more depending on the person and what you ask to get done.

If you are not sure about a person ... ask here.

Regards

3. Don_K

Don_K Agent

Michael,

That $400 to $600 is what it's been costing me about once a year for the past three years to fix the old one. Plus three to four weeks in the shop waiting for parts. Except for the time my son's friend who was a tech school student aligned everything for a twelve pack. Mirrors and "bulbs" all over the living room floor, but a super picture when he was done. I didn't witness this, but it's how my wife described it to me. He lives 400 miles away now.

Can you guys look at the picture, and determine what needs to be done? An estimate, if you will? Do the things that I can perceive, and not do what these 55 year old eyeballs will never appreciate?

Do you have a registry of people.. a professional organization... so I know where to start looking for someone? Is this something that any of the local TV repair shops are competent at, or is it more specialized?

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm old enough to know that I don't know everything!

Don

4. Dom_Z

Dom_Z Auditioning

Don,
    A good calibrator will first do any evaluation of your set ,your viewing habits and viewing environment. He’ll warm the set up for about 30 min. and pop in and view some reference material, one of your favorite movies or one he will bring alone and explain any issues that are obvious and what he do to correct them.
    Few, if any, adjustments are done my eye. A trained calibrator comes equipped with some very precise and expensive test equipment.
    After the calibration is completed you’ll view the reference material again. You will see a dramatic difference in the quality of the picture.
    Before leaving you should be given a small binder with information about the calibration. It should list the setting, pre and post calibration, a page with a graph show the gray scale, pre and post calibration and a calibration repost.
    It’s been my experience that most repair shops and for a matter of fact most brand specific service centers are not qualified or trained as calibrators. Display calibration is a very specialized. A good place to look for a calibrator in your area is the ISF web site under trained dealers. The site is www.isf.com. See if you can find a calibrator that is not affiliated with a retailer. Most of these only calibrate a sets purchased from their store.
    Hope that helps.

5. Dom_Z

Dom_Z Auditioning

Sorry about that it's ISF not IFS.

6. MichaelFusick

MichaelFusick Second Unit

7. MichaelFusick

MichaelFusick Second Unit