For techies: Which has superior audio DACs, RP91 or STR-DA555ES

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carlo Medina, Jul 28, 2001.

1. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Hi All,
    Just bought an RP91 and I have it hooked up to a Sony STR-DA555ES receiver (about 1.5 years old). I was wondering if the RP91 would have the superior DACs to the receiver? If so, should I have the DD/DTS decoding done by the player and use the 6 line input to the receiver?
    Thanks in advance!
    ------------------
    My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Carlo, even if you can find someone here who has a DVD-RP91 paired with an STR-DA555ES, you will have to test the DACs and decoders to see which ones you prefer. There is no way around it. This is always the case when pairing a front-end component with a receiver. Note, however, that you have to use the 5.1-channel outputs on the 'RP91 if you intend to use it for DVD-Audio.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

3. DanG

DanG Stunt Coordinator

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Well, after a bit of A/B testing I think I prefer the Panny to do the decoding for the following reasons:
    1. No audio dropouts/delays - When using the optical or coaxial to the receiver, it would often take a second or two (longer if DTS) to pick up the signal. The receiver would also risk losing audio on a layer change or chapter skip.
    2. Superior bass balance - when hooking up the sub to the receiver, I have to back off the bass a lot on the receiver. The RP91 has well balanced bass levels when all are set to "0".
    3. DVD-Audio needs the RP91 to do the decoding, so why not keep everything simple and have the RP91 do it all?
    As far as the sound quality (overall) goes, it's pretty much a toss-up. I couldn't tell a discernible difference between the RP91 and STR-DA555ES. The above reasons make the RP91 my choice as to the component which should do the DD/DTS decoding.
    YMMV.
    ------------------
    My dealer of choice (especially if you live in So-Cal, I highly recommend them): www.yawaonline.com

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Carlo, some older receivers exhibit a delay in locking onto a digital bitstream (PCM audio, Dolby Digital, or DTS). As a result, you may hear a click sound between tracks on a CD or between chapters on a DVD (or during a layer change, as you said). Newer receivers lock onto bitstreams much more quickly. For example, I do not experience delays with my Sony STR-V444ES. Nevertheless, it's great to hear that the sound of the DVD-RP91 is good using it's decoders and DACs since you do have to use the 5.1-channel outputs for DVD-Audio anyway. Enjoy!
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

6. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Carlo - my situation is slightly different than yours. I'm running the RP91 with a Yamaha 2095. The 2095 is about 3 years old now.
    I am hearing a noticeable difference using the RP91 to do the decoding in all modes.
    Analog mode kicks ass!
    ------------------
    Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.