What's new

? for SVS and B&W owners (1 Viewer)

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
Hey all,

I was wondering if any of you had a setup consisting of an SVS 16-46 and B&W 602's for the mains. I'm curious how well the 602's blend in with the 16-46. Basically I'd like to know if any of you have had any problems getting the smaller 602's to blend in with the sub vs. using the 603's or 604's. I'm thinking of going with the 604's instead, but if the 602's work just as well, than I'm thinking I would be ahead to save the money.

Shane Harg

Second Unit
Shoot, I have the dinky little DM600s and they sound amazing! I don't have any problems getting them to blend wonderfully with my sub, although not SVS, but I don't know why you should have a problem getting yours to blend well with any sub. Most subs are rated to well over 120Hz and the tiniest of bookshelf speaker will go well below 100Hz - plenty of overlap there to work with.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
I use 602 S3s for my fronts, 601 S3s for my surrounds, an LCR600 for my center and an SVS 16-46 Plus for my sub. They sound wonderful to me. It all blends very well. I use a Rotel RSX-1056 to drive them all and it works well. I get lots of compliments. I don't think you can go wrong with the setup you are considering.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There should be no problem, just set the processor crossover in the 120-150 (try as low as 100) Hz range, and bypass the sub's internal crossover. Still, the truth is, the 20-39 may be a better match. Don't underestimate it's extension, plus it seems to be a bit more of an all purpose sub. Ron Stimpson (SVS) has recommended it many times as the better choice in situations like this, but maybe that has changed.

Just an aside, the 604s are still a better speaker and will still sound better, regardless of the sub. So, not all is equal.

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
As John said, the SVS 20-39 is a fine sub and works well witht eh B & W speakers. I owned that one before I got my 16-46 Plus. Personally, I like the 16-46 Plus better.

bgilly

Auditioning
Real Name
brad
I just got a 16-46+ and I had a chance to demo it head to head vs the 20-39+

I too prefered the "deep" tone of the sub.

It works wonders in my home, that is for sure, but I'm a bass head and will get a 2nd one down the road for maximum headroom in the subsonic regions as well as the 25hz and up bass...

Kevin Potts

Second Unit
Thanks for the help everyone.

My real concern was since the 16-46's overall response is lower than the other two, I might run into some problems with the 602's bottoming out as a result of having them crossed over a bit lower than I would with the 20-39 or 25-31. I don't want to sacrifice any ultra low end that I will gain from the 16-46 and I'm prepared to get the 604's if need be. Actually I think I'll probably end up getting the 604's for the benefit of listening to music straight without the sub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks