For Servo 15 Owners

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Howard_S, Dec 21, 2001.

1. Howard_S

Howard_S Supporting Actor

Hi I am about to buy the Servo 15 and I was wondering where you have found to be the best place in terms of sub placement. Do you have the sub facing the same direction as the speakers?

As well have you made use of the X15 control unit. I'm debating as to whether I should buy that or leave it out of the package.

2. Will Gibbons

Will Gibbons Agent

Howard,

I do have the sub facing the same direction as the speakers. I would suggest trying corner loading, but I found having the sub out 1-1.5' from each wall gave me better results in my room--tighter, less boomy bass.

Regarding the optional crossovers, what does your receiver/prepro offer for this? Though I bought an X-30, I have not used it. I instead have used the prepro cross at 80 hz. The Servo-15 is a good performer. Enjoy.

Regards,

Will

3. Howard_S

There's no point in buying expensive sub cables if you're using the X15 sub control since you won't have a direct connection right?

4. RossVTaylor

RossVTaylor Extra

Howard,

I'm sort of the opposite of my fellow Arizonan. I originally bought the Servo-15 without the X-30. For many months, I used the internal 80hz crossover of my Denon 5800 receiver. I was happy with the sound, but I found myself reaching behind the sub (a pain) to adjust the master volume when transitioning between movies and music. I ended up buying the X-30 just for the convenience of the accessible volume control (which I love) but I found that the X-30's 50hz option sounds better with my LaScala speakers than the 80hz did. So, I'm a believer in the X-30.

As far as sub cables go, I've read that expensive cables aren't really necessary for sub use because of the low freqencies. I've found that the cable included with the X-30 sounds just as good as my more expensive cable I was using before.

I think you'll love the Servo-15.

Ross

5. Howard_S

I'm not a tweak guy so I was planning to just set the crossover at 80 and then forget about it. This may be a stupid question but do you stop the music/movie before you adjust the crossovers? You do right?

So I should keep the X15 then right?

6. RossVTaylor

RossVTaylor Extra

Well, what I find myself changing is not the crossover frequency but the sub's volume. *That* you can do while listening. The X-30 will also permit you to change the sub's crossover frequency while listening, simply by turning a knob. But, the speaker's cutoff frequency is selecting by using the appropriate RCA outputs on the back (not something you'd do while listening).
    BTW, I'm not familiar with an X-15. There is currently an X-10, X-20 and X-30. I have both an X-30 (for my Servo-15) and an X-20 (that I use for my Aura Bass Shakers). The difference between them is the connection method - the 30 is RCA, and the 20 uses speaker wire. They are both quality pieces and they work great.
    For more info on the different control modules, go
    here.
    Ross

7. Howard_S

Oh sorry. it's actually X30. haahaa my mistake. I decided to go with the X30 as you guys have recommended.

8. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

I originally had my Servo-15 in front, between the front L/R speakers, beside the center. I shifted it to the right side, facing left as its less obstrusive, but found that the bass level suffered. I didn't hear as much bass. Turning up the volume would lead to things rattling(the Servo-15 is quite a beast!), so I'm planning on placing it in front again.

9. Ariel

Ariel Stunt Coordinator

i use the x30 for the servo15 because i positioned it beside the couch (i don't have so many options) with the phase adj. at 180 degrees. the driver is facing the side of the couch and i like how it shake the whole couch on bass intensive tracks.

10. Robert Saccone

Robert Saccone Stunt Coordinator

Besides using the X-30 for the volume control, I found that I needed to adjust the phase of the subwoofer in tuning it. To my knowledge this is not available on the back of the woofer. My woofer is upfront on the right handside of the system close to a corner.

11. Howard_S

Ya that phase adjustment was what got me to buy the X30. I don't think it'll be possible to have my sub face the same direction as my speakers although I wish I could. I also plan to have the sub to the right facing left.

12. RossVTaylor

RossVTaylor Extra

Robert is correct. There is no phase adjustment on the subwoofer itself. I should have mentioned that it's on the X-30, but I have mine at 0 degrees in my current setup so that's not a big selling point for me. How selfish of me! [​IMG]