What's new

For Sale: New, Opened Box - Sony DA4ES Receiver (1 Viewer)

MartinV

Stunt Coordinator
I just got a new Sony DA-4ES receiver today from sammans.com. However, upon unpacking the unit I noticed that it only has 1 subwoofer connector. Unforunately this isn't going to work for me since I bought 2 Sony SA-WM40 subwoofers recently (thinking that the unit was like the DA-5ES which has 2).
So if anyone out there is interested in buying the unit which is brand new, unused... I'm willing to sell it for $625 + shipping (to be calculated based on your zipcode).
If you'd like to buy the unit, please contact me via email at... [email protected]
I'd be willing to accept payments via money order, C.O.D. or Paypal.
- Martin Victorin

MartinV

Stunt Coordinator
Is there an advantage in having a receiver that already has the two sub connectors or would it be exactly the same sound by using a Y or daisy chaining sub-to-sub?

JackS

Supporting Actor
Should be the same since the subs are powered and only require an input signal. I can't really think of any advantage of having two sub outs on a receiver unless it might be with bookshelves in conjunction with and active crossover unit and running them as full range. Even in this configuration, using a set of main pre-outs should serve the same purpose. If someone knows the advantage of more than one sub-out, would you please let us all know.

Mark Davenport

Stunt Coordinator
Gees that sucks, I have a V444es and enjoy the two sub output, as I have two subs. Are their any other differences that you noticed?

Warren_Sc

Second Unit
A y-cable should work just fine. You can sell it if you want, but it is probably better for you just to split the sub signal.

MartinV

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm, now I'm definitely caught in the middle (sell vs. keep). As someone mentioned, I too would like to know if there is an audible difference in having two connectors vs. daisy chaining. The subs I have (2 Sony SW-M40s) have an output and input connector to allow for this.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Martin, there is no difference between the Y cable & havening a second sub out. The only reason some recevers have two sub outs is convenience.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Martin- I have the strong feeling that receivers with more than one sub-out have a simple Y-splitter built in the cabinet. Daisychaining is probably not the terminology that would apply since both subs you are using have their own power supply. There is no draw on the receivers own amps or the amp of either sub to power the other. A simple Y cable is the solution.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Using a Y splitter is NOT "daisy chaining", each receives the same, unamplified signal. I don't think you are understanding the method of use - the Y would be plugged into the receiver and the split signal would be sent to the input of each sub. Running a single cable to one sub's input and then from it's output to the second sub would be daisy chaining, but I you need to be sure that output is not one which is high pass filtered, in which case this won't work.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Using a Y splitter is NOT "daisy chaining", each receives the same, unamplified signal. I don't think you are understanding the method of use - the Y would be plugged into the receiver and the split signal would be sent to the input of each sub. Running a single cable to one sub's input and then from it's output to the second sub would be daisy chaining, but I you need to be sure that output is not one which is high pass filtered, in which case this won't work.

Craig Woodhall

Supporting Actor
I have a single sub out on my Lexicon running through a Y splitter and into a 2200w amp running dual subs with amazing results. Save yourself the hassle of selling, a single sub output will do. The Lexicon was like $5g and still only has one subwoofer output.

Craig

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks