For Sale: Brand New, Opened Box - Sony DA4ES Receiver

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MartinV, Aug 6, 2002.

1. MartinV

MartinV Stunt Coordinator

I just got a new Sony DA-4ES receiver today from sammans.com. However, upon unpacking the unit I noticed that it only has 1 subwoofer connector. Unforunately this isn't going to work for me since I bought 2 Sony SA-WM40 subwoofers recently (thinking that the unit was like the DA-5ES which has 2).
    So if anyone out there is interested in buying the unit which is brand new, unused... I'm willing to sell it for $625 + shipping (to be calculated based on your zipcode).
    If you'd like to buy the unit, please contact me via email at... [email protected]
    I'd be willing to accept payments via money order, C.O.D. or Paypal.
    - Martin Victorin

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    Why not just get a $2 male to female Y adapter from Radio Shack to connect your subs? That's what I use in my system and it works quite well.

3. JayDaniel

JayDaniel Stunt Coordinator

If you don't like Carl's suggestion, why not just return?

I went to the Sammans.com site to read up on it and can't find any Sony receivers for sale.

4. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

I agree with Carl, that's what I do. The only thing you'll have to be sure to do is calibrate the subs. When you split a line the signal drops by 1/2. So, boost it before it leaves the Amp.

5. ryan davis

ryan davis Stunt Coordinator

A y-cable simply provides 2 jacks/plugs from a single input jack/plug. It does NOT send half of the signal to each of the outputs. It sends whatever signal it receives to both of the output connectors. So there is no need to mess with the levels [​IMG]

6. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

Ryan I think you misunderstood. I agree it's a mono signal and you are just getting two lines of the mono LFE signal. I'm not saying half the signal I'm saying half the signal level (strength).

Any time you split a single line to two you will lose signal level. Ever split a cableTV line and notice the signal isn't as good on the 2 tvs as it was when one line went to 1 tv? It's because the split cuts the signal level in half. If you split a single line using any kind of splitter that does not have an amp the resulting signal going on both lines will be half as strong as it was to start with. Every time you split, there goes half the signal level.

For example:
    LineIn->split1->split2->out
    LineIn at level of 10db
    After split1 each line has a level of 5db
    After split2 each line has a level of 2.5db

What I was saying is you may need to boost the audio level on the sub channel to compensate for that signal drop. If you do that be sure to do it before the split (on the receiver).

For example a lot of subs have volume controls. To start, I'd leave the settings on the sub where they were when calibrated on his old receiver with 2 sub outs. If you need to increase the level do so with the LFE channel +/-db adjustments on the receiver. The reason I say to do it at the receiver is because if you do it on the sub's volume side, you are just boosting a weak signal. I'm suggesting boost the signal prior to taking the drop from the split.

Boosting a weak signal will sound worse that boosting a strong signal.

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Well, dB's don't quite work that way, theoretically, there might be a 3dB loss in signal level everytime you split the signal, but depending on the line level ouput from the receiver, and the input impedance of the amp, there will most likely be no appreciable loss in input sensitivity if you split the subwoofer output from a receiver.

And BTW, if anyone really wants to discuss this aspect of a receiver's subwoofer output any further, please start up a thread in the Receiver/Processor/Amp area and let's leave this For Sale post alone for now. If MartinV still wants to sell the receiver, that's his prerogative, if he doesn't, he can re-edit his initial post in this thread.