For $%@(* sakes, I have diabetes.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by MikeH, Jun 24, 2004.

1. MikeH

MikeH Stunt Coordinator

Just got my second blood test back. 8.3 on the first and 9.2 on the second. So far no medication prescribed as I need to do one more round of blood work next week, testing three times in one day to see where my levels are at over the course of a day.

Big changes ahead I guess. As long as I can find good replacements for the stuff I really like the food changes should not be a big deal. [​IMG] Any recipes for a single guy who is not the greatest cook would be helpful.

Back to the gym to lose some lots of pounds will be hard at first but considering what will/can happen if I don't I suppose is worse.

Nothing like being in denial, frustrated, depressed and pissed off all at once.

Thanks for letting me blow some steam.

Mike

2. MikeH

MikeH Stunt Coordinator

Just got my second blood test back. 8.3 on the first and 9.2 on the second. So far no medication prescribed as I need to do one more round of blood work next week, testing three times in one day to see where my levels are at over the course of a day.

Big changes ahead I guess. As long as I can find good replacements for the stuff I really like the food changes should not be a big deal. [​IMG] Any recipes for a single guy who is not the greatest cook would be helpful.

Back to the gym to lose some lots of pounds will be hard at first but considering what will/can happen if I don't I suppose is worse.

Nothing like being in denial, frustrated, depressed and pissed off all at once.

Thanks for letting me blow some steam.

Mike

3. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Sorry to hear. Hopefully, the diet/exercise will control it. Don't know about the disease, but perhaps it's a blessing in disguise that they detected it early.

4. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Sorry to hear. Hopefully, the diet/exercise will control it. Don't know about the disease, but perhaps it's a blessing in disguise that they detected it early.

5. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

Proper lifestyle changes, and you can control your diabetes. It may be tough, but considering the alternatives . . .

Uncontrolled diabetes can lead to a host of medical problems, including heart disease and kidney disease. It can wreak havoc on your body. Regularly test your blood glucose levels and keep them in check. You'll do fine.

One thing that would be extremely helpful is to find a American Diabetes Association approved education program. Check your local hospitals or your insurance plan. They are usually 4 classes that will teach you not only what changes to make, but how to incorporate them into your lifestyle. A registered dietician will help you with meal planning, as well.

Recognized Diabetes Education Programs

Good luck!

6. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Stunt Coordinator

My Paw-Paw lived to 83 with diabetes. It's a bummer but try to remember you can control it and you can live a full life with it.

7. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Get yee to a gym and lose a few pounds before you're on a Kidney Dialysis machine!

I also here that low-carb diets can help.

8. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Hang in there Mike. My wife is diabetic. With good control you can pretty much lead a normal life.
    I assume your results listed are your A1C values?

Jeff

9. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

Good points spoken by all. We are pulling for you Mike. I know at first it will be tough. In a year from now ,with you hitting the gym and watching your diet, mark my word,I bet you'll have the ladies beating your door down to go out with you.You'll look back on this and realize it is a blessing in disquise. Good luck , let us know how it's going.