What's new

For Ronald Epstein "Magic" Info (1 Viewer)

Chas_Michael

Second Unit
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You are comparing Apples and Oranges and are trying way too hard to embarrass yourself.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUOTE: Herb Kane

I’ll try refraining from that in the future…

Good:)

I've said my piece on this.
Can we move on?

Chas_Michael

Second Unit
Hey Herb, I must be bringing the :Kid: out in you:)

Just have to have the last word...

and...

Tag your it;)

OK, Excuse me, I'm going to pop in my Hong Kong "Magic" DVD...

OK Honey, I'm coming, the Wife is getting impatient...

Good Nite & Sleep tight.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Actually, someone mentioned on the DVD Talk board that the show was indeed framed for possible theatrical matting. I think this was confirmed by one of the people who worked on the show.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Chas, that's 11 smilies on one flippin' page. :)

I respect your stubborness on the Kung-Fu Season 1 release. I also was a bit suprised by this post. Even though you say "it's apples and oranges", this Magic release seems pretty "butchered" too.

Ron said:

What attracts (and attracted) me the most about HTF, is "NO OAR, NO SALE."
We have to draw the line somewhere or nothing will ever change. I draw my line in the sand by this forum's own "mission statement." Especially titles, dear to my heart.

"NO OAR, NO SALE" Where is there room for compromise within this statement?

MikeDE

Second Unit
Correction to my earlier post about who owns Fats. I had a brain fart. Dennis Alwood made and still owns Fats.

It's been so long since seeing this movie theatrically, I don't remember what was cut for the VHS version (and I haven't seen that one in along time). Are there a lot of differences? Is there a possibility this will ever see the light of day on DVD?

Mike

Chas_Michael

Second Unit
QUOTE:
Correction to my earlier post about who owns Fats. I had a brain fart. Dennis Alwood made and still owns Fats.

It's been so long since seeing this movie theatrically, I don't remember what was cut for the VHS version (and I haven't seen that one in along time). Are there a lot of differences? Is there a possibility this will ever see the light of day on DVD?

Mike

If I may ask, Who is Dennis Alwood?

Magic was released at least 4 times on VHS.

The first version was on Blay Video (FULL FRAME), The complete Uncut 107 minute version.

Not sure about stats on the Second or 3rd release.

The fourth and last release was in 2000, Trashed, Cut, Edited for language, totally unwatchable! This was the broadcast TV version! What a joke!

In 1980/81, HBO ran the complete Uncut version in FULL FRAME before the Blay Video release.

There was a version for Cinemax that was cut but not edited for language!

I'm hoping for an American Version.

The said mentioned Hong Kong Version is in FULL FRAME Uncut.
Quality is lacking.

Zak Hepburn

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know if this has been covered but the R4 version of "Magic" is also a full frame release if anyone is interested.Details from ezydvd.com below.

Audio: Dolby Digital 2.0 Stereo
Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1 Fullscreen
Transfer Format: 4:3
Category: Horror
Region: 1,2,3,4,5,6
Distributor: AV Channel
Rating: M15+
Languages: English
Running Time: 106 mins

MikeDE

Second Unit
Chas, Dennis Alwood is a ventriloquist who makes a few dummies. I think he also was a friend of Edgar Bergen. If you send me your email address, I'll forward some pics of Fats, one more current, with some info on him.

My old VHS copy must be the unedited version. It stinks that there are issues that keep this from coming out unedited and in widescreen on DVD.

Mike

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
IMHO it is more than likely because the rights holder does not think it is a financially viable title in R1. That's the problem with a great many catalog titles. We all have our favorites whether they are well known or obscure, but unless the rights holder feels that it is a financially viable title we are SOL!!

Chas_Michael

Second Unit
QUOTE:
Chas, Dennis Alwood is a ventriloquist who makes a few dummies. I think he also was a friend of Edgar Bergen. If you send me your email address, I'll forward some pics of Fats, one more current, with some info on him.

Thanks!!! Mike! I sent you a PM with my email addy, please if you can send me a PM letting me know you received it.

Real Name
Anthony
Anchor Bay UK have just announced that they will be releasing an SE of MAGIC "in the near future". I don't know whether this'll translate to R1 as there seems to be a limited overlap between the two regions. I guess it depends on the rights.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks