For Ronald Epstein "Magic" Info

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chas_Michael, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Chas_Michael

Chas_Michael Second Unit

Hi Ron,
    I know you are a fan of the movie "Magic" with Anthony Hopkins. Well, I have good and bad news for ya[​IMG]
    "Magic" is available on a Hong Kong DVD, UNCUT, REGION 0 with No extra's. Now the bad news, it's FULL FRAME[​IMG], The quality is sub par but watchable. Actually, I'll take "Magic" on a crappy VHS! I'm still amazed at Hopkins performance! I have a link to the ebay store where I purchased this. Just ordered it last Wednesday and I received it TODAY! 1 week from Hong Kong, Amazing.
    So, check this link out, you could waste $11.99 much easier[​IMG]. I'm thrilled to have this, warts and all. Hopefully we'll get a remastered US edition.

LINK:http://search.stores.ebay.com/search...&submit=Search

2. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    A crappy, full-frame VHS is exactly what I've got.

Thanks for the info, Chas, but imo this isn't good enough. We need a remastered OAR DVD - nothing less will suffice !

3. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Just wanting to confirm this is the same Chas_Michael that was so emphatic about the MAR situation in the TV Forum...?

Chas writes:

Pardon me if I seem a little perplexed...? [​IMG]

Herb.

4. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams
    [​IMG]

I think it just shows what we know from the Kung Fu thread - if the title is a personal favorite, then sometimes people are not going to let the aspect ratio issue stop them from enjoying the title.

5. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Yeah, I hate MAR, but I bought the MARred White Palace anyway because it's a guilty pleasure. Sometimes you just have to suck it up.

6. Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk Screenwriter

Neil S. Bulk
    You do know that the soundtrack is available on-line from Varese Sarabande, right? I have not seen the movie, but the score is excellent!

Neil

7. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Herb just made someone his.... [​IMG] Good call.

8. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein

Unfortunately this is the truth.

Look, it's a catch 22 situation when it comes
    to talking about this. On the one hand it is
    quite true that this forum's mission statement
    was built on the foundation that films should
    be presented in their Original Aspect
    Ratio.

On the other hand, I'll admit that if there is
    a particular title that has been a personal
    favorite of mine, and I am convinced it will
    never be released in its OAR, then
    I would not hesitate to purchase that title.

Now before anyone starts taking my words and
    twisting it around to throw back at me just
    because I am co-owner of a forum with a mission
    statement, let me clarify my statement....

I don't normally buy full-frame titles. I'll
    go out of my way and avoid most any release
    that a studio decides to release P&S.

On the other hand, there are some films that
    one must own no matter what. If MAGIC
    was released full frame here in Region 1 and
    I was absolutely certain it would never get
    a widescreen treatment, then it would be one
    of the rare cases I would opt to buy a
    full-screen title.

Look, we have been yelling and screaming
    at the studios for the past few years about
    their full-frame release practices. The truth
    of the situation is that studios are now
    catering to the lowest common denominator.
    The studios produce whatever they think will
    sell. Some studios obviously still feel that
    full-frame is what the largest percent of the
    consumer market wants.

Nobody here is giving up the fight, but it's
    time we realize that we aren't going to win
    every fight. Most of us here (including
    myself) will continue to boycott full-frame
    release.

However.....

EVERYONE has a breaking point when it comes
    to a favorite obscure title that may never be
    released widescreen.

9. Nils Luehrmann

Nils Luehrmann Producer

Isn't this a bootleg of the VHS? And if so why bother? Not only that, but wasn't the laserdisc also a direct copy of the VHS?

Add me to the list of those wanting an OAR high quality transfer of this highly underrated gem of a movie. Anthony Hopkins was absolutely brilliant in this film!

Does anyone know for sure who currently owns the distribution rights?

10. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Ditto.

11. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Nils,

Surprisingly, it was up for preorder here in
    Region 1 a few years back through an independent
    company.

It went on delay for about 8 months until the title
    was yanked altogether.

Hard to believe this title is hung up on (what I
    believe are) rights issues. Great film!

12. Chas_Michael

Chas_Michael Second Unit

IN REPLY TO...

Herb Kane
    Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
    HTF DVD Reviewer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Local Date and Time:
    March 25th, 2004
    05:48 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just wanting to confirm this is the same Chas_Michael that was so emphatic about the MAR situation in the TV Forum...?

Chas writes:

quote:

"Magic" is available on a Hong Kong DVD, UNCUT, REGION 0 with No extra's. Now the bad news, it's FULL FRAME, The quality is sub par but watchable. Actually, I'll take "Magic" on a crappy VHS! I'm still amazed at Hopkins performance! I have a link to the ebay store where I purchased this. Just ordered it last Wednesday and I received it TODAY! 1 week from Hong Kong, Amazing.
    So, check this link out, you could waste $11.99 much easier. I'm thrilled to have this, warts and all. Hopefully we'll get a remastered US edition.

Chas writes from a Kung fu thread:

quote:

Your joking right? I've lost all respect for those who bought the sliced and diced "Kung Fu". So inactuality, if YOU like the DVD, it doesn't matter what the OAR is? I hope we never see you poking fun at Joe 6 Pack(A nickname now meaningless & forever tarnished here) again. Typical elitist attitude.

There should be a POSTED sticky list on the Forum who purchased this

and:

quote:

Cool the nasties. I'm getting teary eyed Some of us do care that you/they don't practice what you/they preach
    For the past 4+ years, I've always felt this was an OAR preservation site. After reading the vast bitching about Pan & Scan, I'm shocked that ANY members here would support a butchering? Widescreen at any price? THAT'S the MESSAGE one's sending when they PURCHASE this! I didn't know the OAR thing was adjustable for convience Pox on it!

and:

quote:

Please refrain from using the term Joe 6 Pack, It's quite MOOT now

I guess what really confuses me is this quote:

quote:

I'm thrilled to have this, warts and all.

Pardon me if I seem a little perplexed...?

Perplexed? Do you feel better?

First of all, I wouldn't want you to lose sleep over this...Perplection can be quite harmful!

My first viewing experience of "Magic" 26 years ago was on HBO in FULL FRAME[​IMG] That's the version that's dear to me. Therefore, I have no problem with the FULL FRAME UNCUT version.

KUNG FU on the other hand was BUTCHERED into WIDESCREEN, It is not as I originally and millions of other veiwers saw it during the first run on TELEVISION...No such thing as WIDESCREEN TV back then.

You are comparing Apples and Oranges and are trying way too hard to embarrass yourself. Stick to what works best, mocking Joe 6 Pack.

A Hong Kong FULL FRAME "Magic" is no BUTCHERED "Kung Fu".

And sorry I can't be your Bitch, I'm Straight[​IMG] Maybe Kyle McKnight will be yours. It seems to be on his mind, that sort of thing[​IMG]

13. Chas_Michael

Chas_Michael Second Unit

Ron, The US "Magic" DVD version that was announced and pulled and was the HORRIBLE CENSORED, "Edited For TV" CUT version. Thankfully it didn't make it to DVD back then[​IMG]
    Hopefully, we'll see a "Special Edition" with Anthony Hopkins being involved! Can you imagine what Criterion can do with this! I can't figure out why this is being ignored here in the US.

14. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    The ads for this movie creeped me out when I was a kid. I still have a hard time viewing the poster because the dummy is so creepy-looking. Nevertheless, I looked at the credits on IMDb to see who might have the rights. My guess is that it's MGM, because of all the Embassy Pictures material that is owned by Studio Canal. I know it was released by Fox to theatres, but the original video release was by Blay Video (later Embassy Home Video, then Nelson Entertainment). If this is the case, I wouldn't hold out too much hope for an OAR Region 1 release; I don't think it's a priority release, given the number of bad releases it has had over the years.

15. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Alright guys....tone it down.

Thank You.

16. MikeDE

MikeDE Stunt Coordinator

I'm a professional ventriloquist, and sure wish this would come out. Love those crazed dummy movies. Here's some trivia for you. This film was originally to be directed by Polanski and star Jay Johnson, who played Chuck (and Bob) on Soap. Polanski had his scandal, left the country, and the project was put on hold. When revived, they decided to go with Hopkins. Unlike Adrien Brody in Dummy, Hopkins got very little instruction in ventriloquism, and this is the one drawback to the film.

Mike

17. Chas_Michael

Chas_Michael Second Unit

Hi Mike,
    Interesting, I read/heard Anthony studied ventriloquism for months and did all the ventriloquism parts. Matter of fact, his "Teacher" was the "announcer" in the club he was performing in. I wonder what ever happened to "Fats"?
    Any idea who owns him, possibly Hopkins?

18. MikeDE

MikeDE Stunt Coordinator

The voice was done by Hopkins, but not by ventriloquism. He rarely, if ever, used the mouth position we use (the dummy can't talk when your lips are together), and substitution sounds weren't used. What I heard is that Fats was designed to resemble Hopkins, who said it was terribly ugly when he saw it. There is a bronze head of Fats in a ventiloquist museum, and it is one freaky looking thing. I'll check on who owns him now, but at one time the word was that dummy collector Alan Ende had it, who if memory serves right was technical advisor for the film.

19. Chas_Michael

Chas_Michael Second Unit

Thanks Mike! I'd love to know[​IMG]
    I've been a fan for years. Since a Child, I've been fasinated with ventriloquism!

20. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

I’ll try refraining from that in the future…

Herb.