For ripping: EAC vs. CDex. Any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan_C, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Dan_C

Dan_C Agent

It seems that the forum consensus is that EAC is the best software for ripping; there are some proponents for CDex as well.

For the life of me, the newest version of EAC (version 0.9prebeta11) will not work for me despite following the suggestions of r3mix.net as well as the linked tutorial on that website. Specifically, the Autodetect read command will not work and neither will selecting every drive read command manually.

However, EAC's older (1999) 0.85 beta4 release works just fine on my system.

Is this older version of EAC still the preferred ripper or should I download newer versions of other packages such as CDex?

Thank you!

2. Bobby T

Bobby T Supporting Actor

I've been real happy with CDex. I have not tried EAC.

3. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

I believe that EAC is still better at things like error correction etc even in the older version. However to get really great rips you need to make sure it is set up properly.
    Of course the difference should be infinitesimal on discs that are in shape like new, though.
    I found a good site with info about offsets and EAC you might want to check out. Perhaps it will help you get the 0.9 version up and running too?
    http://www.ping.be/satcp/tutorials.htm

4. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I've been using EAC for over a year now and I like it. However in my experience it hasn't been as foolproof as they make it out to be. When ripping from a Teac CD-540E (reputed to be one of the best CD-ROMs for DAE), I will get pops, seemingly at random. I've tried it with two of the same model drive and get similar problems. If I rip with my Plextor CD-RW, they're pefect. If I rip with the Teac and another application (say, Nero) - again, no pops. Very odd.

On a less important note, I find EAC to be very limited in the way that ID3 tags are passed through to Lame. I leave them off now and do all the tagging with another app.

For straight disc-to-disc copying I find EAC to be hopeless and way too much like hard work.