For regular TV programs - TV speakers or HT set-up

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Alexander_I, Nov 13, 2001.

1. Alexander_I

Alexander_I Auditioning

What is the most common case - do you guys use HT set-up speakers for sat TV programs (we have here both mono and stereo) or stay with TV speakers?
    Just curious.
    Thanks.
    ------------------

2. Bill Bradstreet

Bill Bradstreet Stunt Coordinator

I'll start by saying I never use the speakers in my TV. They are turned off actually.
    My receiver does a pretty good job interpreting a stereo (or mono) signal and relaying it to the 5 speakers.
    Then, when a good broadcast comes through, the surround is ready to go.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

It is a matter of convenience.
    I always use my full sound system because I did not want to run extra wires to the TV audio input jacks, and I always use the VCR for tuning in broadcasts. There are times I want to run these extra wires at least from the VCR so I don't have to go over and flip on the main sound system.
    For those who use the TV's own tuner (sound goes to the TV speakers naturally), it may be more convenient to use the TV speakers.
    Other video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

The internal speakers in my TV have been on for less than a minute (the time it took me to turn them off in the setup menu after buying the TV). Why spend good money on a HT setup and then listen to TV broadcasts through cheap low-quality TV speakers? One macro button on our remote control turns the entire system on, and another turns the entire system off. It's just as simple as turning on the TV only.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 1
    [Edited last by Scott Merryfield on November 13, 2001 at 08:53 AM]

5. Brian Schucher

Brian Schucher Supporting Actor

Couldnt tell ya the last time I used my TVs speakers. All audio and been going through receiver for years.. I try to run all video signals direct though

6. Alexander_I

Alexander_I Auditioning

Thanks for this mini-survey.
    Frankly speaking i'm almost shocked by the fact that such trivial IDEA was so late in my mind!
    ------------------

7. Alex F.

Alex F. Second Unit

TVs contain speakers?

8. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

No way do I ever use my TV's speakers. Most commercials sound really cool through my HT set up anyway!
    BTW, I'm using a Sony DirecTV receiver.
    [Edited last by Ron Reda on November 14, 2001 at 12:44 PM]

9. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I am one of the 3 people in this country who do not have cable TV... but I mostly use my HT for TV. I usually prefer 5Ch stereo over DPL - except for Voyager.
    --
    Holadem

10. derek

derek Second Unit

Well I'm in the minority here but for casual tv viewing I use the internal speakers in my Hitachi 32" set. The audio is decent for most cable and ReplayTV recordings. I guess I'm being a bit lazy and just don't crank up the home theater system unless its for a DVD/LD/special tv event or something recorded in surround sound where DPL would come into effect.
    ------------------
    Derek
    Surround EX FAQ: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/P...urroundex.html