For Real: Help me get rid of this Computer Virus!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeffrey Noel, Apr 19, 2002.

1. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Well, the other day I got this e-mail from someone I didn't know, but it was title "Student ID." Since I sometimes do get e-mails from my college regarding ID info and such, I opened. Apparently there was a virus attached to it. It sent out massive amounts of itself with different subjects to people in my addressbook and apparently to many other e-mail address, which I've never seen before.

The Virus is titled Exploit-MIME.gen. I just downloaded Norton Antivirus for free since K-State allows students to do this. Well, when it searches for viruses, it comes up with a whole lot of them, all the same except for them being in different places. Unfortunately it says that I "don't have access" to the files, or whatever, and it cannot clean them. What do I do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

Sounds like you need to update your Norton's virus definitions. It sounds like it's detecting a generic exploit rather than positively identifying the specific virus or worm you received.

Use the Live Update feature to update to the current definitions, then run another virus scan. Once we have a specific virus name, I can offer more suggestions...

KJP

3. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

According to McAfee, that exploit is used by Nimda and a few others. You can download a Nimda removal tool at Symantec.

4. Jeff Blair

Jeff Blair Second Unit

It acually sounds like you don't have admin rights to the PC. Are you running Win NT or 2000? If you are, log in as the admin, if you can. If you can't, then try to find someone that can. That should do it.