For Queensryche fans....

Discussion in 'Music' started by Scott_lb, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Scott_lb

Scott_lb Supporting Actor

I was just at their official website and they now have samples of each of the ten new songs to be featured on the new album "Tribe", slated to hit stores on July 22. After listening a few times, I like some of the tracks and I really dislike others- the same feeling I've had since Hear in the Now Frontier. Anyway, it's worth checking out if you're a fan.

2. TerryW

TerryW Stunt Coordinator

I never listen to clips of songs and then assume that's how the whole album will sound like. I'm not saying that's what you're doing it's just that I like to hear the record straight through from beginning to end. [​IMG] It's hard sometimes to resist a clip especially when it comes along really early in the process. I never heard the Someone clip on the Boston site and that was up years before the lp finally came out.

Thanks for the heads up though. I'm looking forward to hearing Chris DeGarmo back in the band.

3. Scott_lb

I typically don't listen to clips either. However, each clip is about 45 seconds long, and they seem like a pretty good representation of what the album will sound like in general. I choose to listen to clips to most bands today becuase many of the bands I have liked for many years are putting out some pretty poor material (I'd be hard pressed for someone to convince me that Q2K or Hear in the Now Frontier is one of the best Ryche albums). Like many people, I have a limited amount of funds, and was actually going to pass on Tribe because I thought Q2K sucked. But after hearing the clips, I decided to go ahead and buy it. I wish some type of clips were available for St. Anger as well. I read reviews that say that the album is either great or it is a huge piece of garbage. If I could sample it somewhere (Barnes and Noble?) I might be able to come to somewhat of a conclusion myself. I just don't want to kick myself for buying it if it indeed sucks.

4. Michael Hall

Michael Hall Stunt Coordinator

Just thought I'd point out that apparently Chris is no longer in the group (again). I don't want to be the one to spread rumors, but to put it simply, old conflicts rearose and he left before the album was finished. I have no idea if Michael Wilton played the rest of the guitar parts, or if someone else was hired to come in and play them, but from all reports I've read, Chris is indeed gone once more.

Pity too, as nothing I've heard from QR since HITNF was much good. I never owned HITNF, and it's been a great while since I've listened to it, so I'll probably wind up getting the reissue. As for the band, I really hope they do well and I'm interested to hear how "Tribe" is, but I guess I can always be content with the backcatalogue.

5. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I do like some of the material from Frontier and Q2K, so I will pick up Tribe.

I am seeing them on 7/10, and now I don't know if DeGarmo will be with them.[​IMG]

6. Scott_lb

Damn! I was so excited to hear that DeGarmo was back, even though I had a feeling it wouldn't be for too long. I guess he was involved for much less time than I anticipated. Oh well. Life happens. I used to foam at the mouth when new Ryche shows were coming to town, but after seeing them on the Q2K tour, I've decided to pass on them live. It's funny, the same band put on both the best show and the worst show I've seen live (Empire/Mindcrime tour and Q2K).

7. Kevin Goodwin

Kevin Goodwin Stunt Coordinator

I'm listening to the new album right now, and I think most fans will be disappointed. It is probably marginally better than Q2K, if I had to compare it to any of their old catalog. Definitely nothing like the glory days. The guitars sound a bit better than on Q2K, probably due to Chris's return. Sad to hear he's gone again, but after hearing this album, I don't think it really mattered much that he was back. [​IMG]

8. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

9. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I really like Tribe; their best since Promised Land. I thought about half of Q2K was neat (Sacred Ground and Liquid Sky are great songs).

I look at Frontier and Q2K as a period of change, with Tribe solidifying their current sound. The songs are presented with more confidence and strength.

A couple of songs at the end of the album are a bit dull, but overall it's a nice set of tunes.

10. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I'll buy it because it's Queensryche, but from what I heard on their site I'm not expecting much. To me it has that same sound and style from their last two albums, neither of which I enjoyed. Last for me was Promised Land, but you can still hear Geoff's voice starting to turn to this new style. He doesn't offer up the same range or flair as before, not the brilliance of Mindcrime and Empire. Voice of a God. Soundwise it again seems too thick with the guitars. I'm a guitar player but to me their songs have always had a more even balance. Even on Empire which had some pretty heavy guitar tones it was still clear and balanced and Jackson's bass clearly stood out. But not wanting to be a fair-weather fan I'll give this disc every opportunity. Will try and grab it today (along with some of those remasters - Mindcrime baby).

I just have to hope Dream Theater doesn't remaster all their discs so I don't need to further drain my wallet. [​IMG]

11. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer