For price/performance is there a better way to go? jbl s38II, s center, HSU sub.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd smith, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Todd smith

Todd smith Supporting Actor

Jbl s38II (4 f&s)$339.00/pair. jbl s centerII $167.00. Both are from dynadirect which is a authorized dealer. HSU vtf2 sub-4-$450.00. Is this gonna be a great performer for the money? Will the HSU fit good with this system?

2. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

B$W 303, left, right and center $450.00 MSRP plus HSU sub $450.00 shipped from AV123.com. Total $900.00. [​IMG]

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

I'd take the JBL S series over 3 series B&W. Also with a good sub, I don't think the S38 is really necessary. Consider dropping to the S26 for mains and surrounds with the S-Center (for sure at least drop the surrounds to S26). Put the saved money into the sub.

The VTF2 is a great sub. But if you have the extra $100-$150 (or get it back by dropping to S26 monitors, just the surrounds will give you enough for the SVS) I'd seriously consider a SVS 25-31PCi (possibly requesting a costum tune to 22hz) or the Adire Dharman.

Two pairs of S26 monitors, the S-Center and a SVS 25-31PCi would come to just under $1200 plus shipping using that dynadirect place for the JBL stuff.

4. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

5. MikeKaz

MikeKaz Stunt Coordinator

regardless of what s-26 fans suggest, you'll definately want the s-38's in front, especially if you have room for them, and were considering them anyways. they are a phenomenal set of speakers, and theyll be able to play louder than the s-26's. the biggest reason not to go with the s-26 is that it loses the midrange driver and some of the midrange clarity that is common in all the other s-series speakers, including the s-center. plus, if you want to play stereo in a source direct mode, youll get much better bass from the s-38's.

as for surrounds, s-26's would actually be pretty big, it'd be much better to go with the s-36's which can be mounted on the wall or on smaller stands, and are much thinner. also, i've said this before, the s-36's were actually made to be surround speakers so that seems to be a practical application for them. plus they have the midrange driver all the other studio speakers have. the s-26's are a compromise in the studio series- they wanted to make a speaker in a conventionally sized and configured cabinet that was smaller than the s-38, but they had to drop the midrange to do so...go with the s-38's.

-oh, adding to this- s-38's in the rear would definately be overkill if that didnt come across

6. Phil Iturralde

7. Todd smith

Thanks for all your help. I noticed how you guys may think 38's in f&r would be overkill. But If I dont mind spending the money for the 38's wouldnt it be a better overall sound for the rear? Or would the 36's sound better with the 38's? I would think 4 identical matching speakers would be ideal for front and surround or is my logic faulty?

8. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Four identical speakers would be best. But I'd much rather you cut costs on the surrounds than went with a lesser sub. If you can get S38 all the way around and still get an SVS or Dharman then go for it. But if you need to drop to the VTF2 to get the S38 all the way around, drop the surrounds to S26 so you can get the SVS.

Depends entirely on your room as to whether the S26 or S38 are too big for surrounds.

I just don't like the enclosures on the S36, to light and flimsy. You want a dead enclosure, and thin molded plastic isn't dead.

The added clarity of a midrange driver doesn't mean anything if the extra crossover screws up the imaging or soundstage. It's much easier to get a 2way right then a 3way right. Listen to them both and decide for youself if they got the 3way crossover to the point that it is better than the 2way.

9. Todd smith

Thanks Dustin and everyone else for all the feedback and help! This is a great forum. One more question. As far as the svs sub goes would the 20-39pci be to much for this system (4x38's, s center)? Or will the 25-31 be plenty for movies and music? Which one would sound better with my setup regardless of price? If 20-39pci is better, is it significant enough to spend the extra cash?

10. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    I have to disagree somewhat with Dustin. The sub only handles the lowest and least audible portion of the audio spectrum. I realize everyone loves their subs, however, I would put the majority of my money in the larger and more audible frequency spectrum.

I would prefer the best possible speaker for the money above 50Hz. I won't tell you which one, however I do like the S38's a lot and they have really positive reviews. I opted for the S312's which I liked even better. I thought they had better midrange than either the 26's or the 38's by my old ears are ruinied by too many loud guitar amps.

11. Stephen Houdek

S
    But to answer your question, I don't know of a better price/performance ratio than the JBL S series.

I DO agree with Dustin on the JBL over the B&W 3 series.

12. MikeKaz

MikeKaz Stunt Coordinator

Four S-38's WOULD be best. If you have the space in the rear and don't mind paying for it, definately go for it. I'm not an overwhelming fan of the s-36's, but i had to get them due to space concerns. They sound fine though. Honeslty im not so thrilled with the s-center's plastic construction either, but oh well.

I've actually been fantacizing about using an s-38 as the center channel, but mounting is about near-impossibe. Five s-38's would be sweet if you had say a front projection TV where you could put it behind a perforated screen or room to mount it off the ground in front of the TV. Only problem is you'd have to find someone who wants to buy your other speaker. or... you could use it as a center surround. That'd be nice

13. Stephen Houdek

S
    Your Scenter comments surprise me a bit. Sure its plastic, but I find it to be a great sounding center especially when you consider its primarily for voices....I also find it blends nicely for music as well. I enjoy the all channel stereo setting on my Onkyo for Music listening and I've been very critical of how things blend.

14. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I think you will be pleased with the S38 and S center. If it were me choosing the surrounds I'd try to save some money and not use another pair of S38s.

An SVS sub is nice, but I think you'd be perfectly happy with the HSU.

15. Phil Iturralde

Going Stephen Houdek route is another option that many made with their JBL S-Series setup, . . .again, it's your choice, and ALL JBL Studio Series Speakers is timbre-matched since they all share the same 1" Pure Titanium Tweeter.
    Phil

16. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Since it appears to me that HT is going to be the main use of this stereo the sub is extremely important. A good sub really does make a night and day difference on action filled movie sound tracks. After going from a Paradigm PDR10 to a DIY Tempest, I wouldn't trade the Tempest for anything. It makes a huge difference with movie action scenes.

SVS has 5 models of sub currently. PCi, CS, CS+, Ultra and SS (with the PC+ coming soon). The first three have three different size/tunings. Within the three size/tunings they all have the same power and use the same driver though. What you are doing between the three size/tunings is making a trade off. You are trading above 30hz output for more extension. The 25-31 is the loudest of the three in the 35-80hz range. The 16-46 extends the furthest capable of around 100dB in moderately sized rooms at below 20hz.

For home theater use the 20-39 is usually the best option. If the extra $100 for the 20-39PCi is an issue, then go for a 25-31 as is or retuned to 22hz. Unless you are into organ music there isn't much point in the 16-46.