For people in R1 that like Stargate..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave C., Oct 28, 2001.

1. Dave C.

Dave C. Auditioning

and If you have the capabilty of playing PAL disks you might wanna check out the New Release of Stargate (Directors Cut) on R2 DVD. This disk is 2.35 and is an anomorphic transfer as opposed to the non 16x9 R1 2.35 version. It also surprisingly includes a great DTS 5.1 track, DD 5.1 track and audio commentary. The picture is excellent, full of detail with bold vibrant colours as one reviewer of Home Cinima Choice put it.
    P.S Admin, I know that this is a Regional DVD issue however I am sure some people in R1 that would like to be made aware of this disk that never look in the Regional DVD forum. If you don’t agree just delete the topic. Cheers [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Dave C. on October 28, 2001 at 10:26 AM]

2. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I never saw the Region 1 Special Edition, but I've heard it's not too good. It's ashame they would screw something up like that on a re-release. Can't they get it right the second time? There's always a third time I guess...

3. Simon Massey

Simon Massey Cinematographer
    Supporter

Simon Massey
    Anyone buying this should also be aware that the additional scenes are not of the same picture quality as the rest of the film, though it is anamorphic

4. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

I believe the reason given to the picture quality not being so good on the new footage was because they had to be video sourced or something. If they're the same on this new R2 it would perhaps indicate the R2 isnt a geniue anamorphic transfer, but having said that, whilst I don't buy movies on R2 I did check out a friend's copy and it looks nice regardless.
    Dan (UK)

5. David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II Second Unit

Y'know the additional scenes don't look bad on the current Stargate. I can't figure it out, you can watch one scene and in one shot it looks great, in another it's all grainy or jagged or blotchy.
    That said, I don't think there are more than 3 short instances where the picture looks pretty bad, and it's no big deal. Only one of us would notice it to begin with, and by the time you start frowning the image has turned pretty good. I can live with it, and it's still better than VHS.

6. Dave C.

Dave C. Auditioning

hi there Dan [​IMG] Have been away for a while from the forums of late, but my recent purchase of a projector has stoked my interest in everything DVD again!!! [​IMG] I will get in touch with you on icq.
    Anyway I can confirm that R2 Stargate is an anomorphic transfer, however what makes you think that it is not a true 16x9 one. Can you tell me how i can tell whether its true or not and i can check it for ya. From my experiance with 16x9 transfers this sure looks like one.
    Cheers

7. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Dave,
    Really the fact that it was said the reason the R1 was not anamorphic was because the new footage was indeed video sourced, this was Artisan's excuse at the time as I recall and they said it couldn't be done if they wanted to put out the extended cut.
    With R2 being known to make use of the vertical scaling trick on some releases producing what some call "fake 16x9" transfers, I have to question Stargate, especially when there's been releases in other regions (US R1 and Japan R2, latter in DTS) which were not anamorphic. The new R2 coming from independent label Momentum would perhaps add fuel to this argument since they probably don't have the resources of funds to create a proper 16x9 master.
    I am happy to agree the new R2 indeed looks nice however, no doubts there. I'll catch you on ICQ, been a while!
    Dan (UK)