For Pearl Jam, Crowded House, Radiohead, and The Smiths fans...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Lucas, Feb 22, 2002.

1. Matt Lucas

Matt Lucas Stunt Coordinator

A few months back, I posted a thread about a series of concerts that Neil Finn [former singer/songwriter of Crowded House and Split Enz, now solo] played a series of 2001 concerts in New Zealand with an all-star band. The group included Ed Vedder [Pearl Jam], Johnny Marr [The Smiths], Phil Selway and Ed O'Brien [both from Radiohead] and violinist/singer Lisa Germano [solo artist and former member of John Mellencamp's band]. Finn's older brother, Tim [formerly of Split Enz and Crowded House], also joined in for a few songs.

The set list consisted of a few of Neil's newer tunes, several Crowded House classics, and many great surprises for fans of any of the bands represented. Vedder [backed by Neil's SON's band, Betchadupa] turns in energized versions of a couple of Split Enz classics including "I See Red." He also does a Pearl Jam tune ["Parting Ways"] and shares the spotlight with Neil on another Enz song, "Take A Walk," that's never sounded better. Perhaps the biggest surprise of the set was the inclusion of The Smiths' "There is a Light That Never Goes Out" sung by Neil and prominently featuring Marr's guitar work. Marr and violinist Germano also contribute one solo song each. The set ended with Neil's acoustic version of what is probably his best song, "Don't Dream It's Over" [often referred to as "the hey now, hey now song"].

The wait is finally over for US fans. SEVEN WORLDS COLLIDE: Neil Finn and Friends Live at the St. James Theater will be released on CD and DVD next week [Feb. 26] in the US by Nettwerk Records.

I bought the import version of the audio CD, which is a good live album [I give it 3 out of 5---some of the performances are GREAT and timeless, others are a little mediocre, but still okay]. It's a must buy for Finn fans, and definitely one to seriously consider if you're a fan of classic pop music in general or a fan of any of the artists who participated in the shows. Listening to the album, I get the impression that this is one show that's better heard AND SEEN. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the DVD next week.

Finally, Neil Finn's most recent album, ONE NIL, was released in the rest of the world last year, but it saw no US release. Nettwerk will right that wrong by releasing a slightly different version of the album later this spring [tentative release date: April 23]. Retitled ONE ALL, the tracks have been resequenced and two songs, "Don't Ask Why" and "Elastic Heart," have been replaced by two newly recorded songs, "Lullaby Requiem" and "Human Kindness." Several other songs have been remixed as well.

The album features a haunting duet with Sheryl Crow, great backing by musicians like Wendy & Lisa [ex-Prince], drummer for the stars Jim Keltner [John Lennon, Elvis Costello, and just about everyone else] and more. It ends with what I consider to be one of Neil's best songs, the serene "Into the Sunset."

You can read a bit of information about both releases at Nettwerk's site...:

http://www.nettwerk.com/

...or there's even more information at Neil's site:

http://www.frenz.com/neilfinn/

mattl

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    This is great. I have yet to hear legit versions of any of these tracks and have been hoping that they would be made available somehow. I have yet to find a complete track list for the DVD, but it looks like the DVD will have more songs than the CD.

Regards,

3. Matt Lucas

Ooops. I meant to include the 7 Worlds track list. Thanks for reminding me.

Here's the audio CD track list:

Anytime [Neil solo track]

Take A Walk [Enz song, Vedder & Neil duet]

The Climber [Neil solo track]

Loose Tongue [Neil solo track]

Down On The Corner [Johnny Marr solo track]

There Is A Light That Never Goes Out [Smiths classic]

Paper Doll [Lisa Germano solo track]

Turn And Run [Neil solo track]

Angels Heap [Finn Bros. track]

Edible Flowers [NEW SONG; Finn Bros. track]

Stuff And Nonsense [Enz song; Vedder & Tim Finn duet]

I See Red [Enz song; Vedder & Tim Finn duet]

She Will Have Her Way [Neil solo track]

Parting Ways [Vedder; Pearl Jam song]

Weather With You [Crowded House classic]

Paradise (Wherever You Are) [Finn Bros. track]

Don't Dream It's Over [Neil solo track-acoustic]

Here's the DVD track listing [assuming the US version will have the same tracks as the Australian one]. I put an asterisk by the non-CD songs:

*1 FALL AT YOUR FEET [Crowded House classic]

2 ANYTIME

*3 HOLE IN THE ICE [Neil solo track]

4 PAPER DOLL

5 THE CLIMBER

6 TAKE A WALK

*7 LAST TO KNOW [Neil solo track]

8 DOWN ON THE CORNER (WITH JOHNNY MARR OF THE SMITHS)

9 THERE IS A LIGHT THAT NEVER GOES OUT (WITH THE SMITHS)

*10 PRIVATE UNIVERSE [Crowded House classic]

11 PARTING WAYS (WITH EDDIE VEDDER)

*12 DRIVING ME MAD [Neil solo track]

13 TURN & RUN

14 LOOSE TONGUE

15 SHE WILL HAVE HER WAY

16 ANGEL'S HEAP

17 EDIBLE FLOWERS

18 STUFF & NONSENSE

*19 FOUR SEASONS IN ONE DAY [Crowded House classic]

*20 SUFFER NEVER [Finn Bros. track]

*21 CRY WOLF (WITH LISA GERMANO)

*22 HISTORY NEVER REPEATS

23 I SEE RED

24 PARADISE (WHEREVER YOU ARE)

25 WEATHER WITH YOU

26 DON'T DREAM IT'S OVER

Finally, here's the track list for ONE ALL:

1.The Climber (new mix)

2.Driving Me Mad (new Bob Clearmountain mix)

3.Hole in the Ice (new Bob Clearmountain mix)

4.Last to Know

5.Wherever You Are

6.Secret God

7.Lullaby Requiem (new track)

8.Human Kindness (new track)

9.Turn and Run (new mix)

10.Anytime

11.Rest of the Day Off

12.Into the Sunset

(removed from One Nil - Don't Ask Why & Elastic Heart)

regards

mattl

4. Randy Torres

Randy Torres Stunt Coordinator

I picked up the US version today at bestbuy. I indeed does include all 26 songs and sports a widescreen image and DD5.1 mix that sounds great. Highly recommended for any Neil Finn fan. I want to give a shout out to Sebastian Steinberg formerly with the band Soul Coughing, he plays bass on all but 4 songs on this fine dvd.

5. Randy Torres

There is no mention of a DD5.1 track or widescreen (don't know if it's 16:9 as I don't have one [​IMG])on the packaging but it is on the dvd.

6. Will K

Will K Screenwriter

Coolness. I can do without PJ, but I'm down with the rest of them.

7. Matt Lucas

It's good to see that at least a few people have picked up the 7 Worlds Collide DVD. I bought it myself, but I was waiting on doing a review to see if anyone else might mention it.

First, I should say that I'm not a technical person at all, so please keep that in mind. I have a Toshiba 3109 [non-progressive scan] DVD player and a Mitsubishi widescreen HD-ready television, if that matters to anyone reading this.

Most reviews end with a recommendation as to whether the release will appeal to general fans or to only hardcore fans. I want to say up front that the performances captured on this DVD/CD were a once-in-a-lifetime thing, and it's worth the price of admission for that alone.

It's a MUST purchase for fans of Split Enz, Crowded House, and Neil Finn, as well as for Pearl Jam/Ed Vedder and The Smiths completists. I'm not sure if there are any Lisa Germano fans on this list, but if so, you'll probably want to pick up the DVD for her 2 songs. Radiohead fans---well, both Phil and Ed contribute much to the performances, but there are no Radiohead songs performed, so the two RH guys are more like role players.

For people who aren't familiar with Neil Finn and his wealth of amazing music, I sincerely hope you'll give this set a chance. Finn's music is sublime---it gets better and better with repeated listens. Even if the only Neil Finn song you recognize is "Don't Dream It's Over" [often referred to as "the hey now, hey now" song], if you're a fan of great pop music from the same family tree as The Beatles, XTC, Squeeze, Elvis Costello, etc., then give this release a chance. You won't be sorry.

I agree with Randy---the audio on the DVD is very good. The PCM stereo track has a little more kick to it than the DD5.1, but the surround track [mixed by Bob Clearmountain, who turns anything he touches to gold] is really well done. Stand in the center of the room, and you'll hear the musicians surrounding you. Very cool.

My only problem with the DVD is the video. As Randy mentioned, the image is widescreen but is NOT anamorphic. Worse, the video quality just isn't that great. It's often purposefully grainy, and that's okay when it's intended, but many other times, it's just a little too rough. [Perhaps the fact that the shows were probably filmed on PAL equipment and the video was later transferred to NTSC for release in the US has something to do with it.] Honestly, the video is not distractingly bad, except during a couple of songs in which there is very noticeable 'noise' in the dark sections of the screen. Since this is a concert film and some portion of the screen is almost always dark, I'm sure it was tough to avoid artifacting.

I noted in a previous post that the DVD has several songs that are not on the CD, which is beyond me. These DVD-only songs are among the best on the DVD. The Finn Bros.' version of Crowded House's "Four Seasons in One Day" is just plain brilliant. "Fall at Your Feet" and "Private Universe" [also CH classics] are also wonderful reworkings of the original songs. "Suffer Never" is the guitar peak on the DVD, and it's one of the few songs on which Finn really lets loose and rocks. Lisa Germano's DVD-only song is also better than the song that appears on both the CD and DVD.

Regarding the other performances, it's hard not to feel the magic when Johnny Marr plays the opening chords to The Smiths' "There is a Light That Never Goes Out". For anyone who remembers the early to mid '80s, this song alone is worth buying the DVD. Finn does a GREAT Morrissey, by the way. Marr's solo track, "Down on the Corner," is a grower as well. Marr's vocal is anti-Morrissey, but the music is classic Smiths.

Ed Vedder attacks several Split Enz classics with power, enthusiasm and respect---it's obvious that he LOVES these old songs, and he does them VERY WELL. I daresay "Take A Walk" has never sounded better, and "History Never Repeats" [DVD only] pulsates with new energy as well.

But not all the songs are memorable. Some are mediocre compared to other Finn performances, but that still places them above most "music" being released these days. Some of the playing is a little rough around the edges, only because of the nature of the shows that were filmed. [The band organized, rehearsed 40+ songs for something like a week, then toured for a week and broke up!]

The closing song, a gentle acoustic guitar & organ reading of perhaps Finn's best song, "Don't Dream It's Over," reminded me of why this is literally one of my three favorite pop songs. Beautiful. Perfect.

I could go on and on about Neil Finn and his music. Despite my complaints about the video quality, due to the lack of Finn releases in the US, pretty much any Neil Finn release is a good one.

And the highlights of this DVD far outweigh any negatives.

mattl

8. Jae E

Jae E Agent

Count me among the few. I was thrilled when I found this at my local Media Play on the day of release. One thing that amazed me was how good Lisa Germano sounded backing up Neil (especially on "Turn and Run"). I also enjoyed the short interviews in between the songs, some of which took place during rehearsals.

9. Randy Torres

Matt, Great review and thanks for the heads up on this release. I tried the pcm audio track and your right, more dynamic range and kick to it. Like you said, any Neil Finn release is a good one.[​IMG]

10. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

After just reading of some bad news here on the HTF concerning a film finally being released on DVD but only in full frmae, it is great to read of such good news as this! Can't wait to pick up the CD and DVD, as well as a copy of "One All" on April 23.

Thanks for the post Matt.