For Paul Verhoeven Fans

Discussion in 'DVD' started by PaulP, Mar 10, 2006.

1. PaulP

PaulP Producer

This should normally be posted in the regional forum, but I know there are lots of Paul Verhoeven fans in R1-land, so I thought this would be appropriate.

There was an interesting DVD released recently in Holland: Nou, dat was het dan!.

[​IMG]

2. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    I have this DVD - isn't it R2-encoded though?

The film itself is just okay - Verhoeven doesn't take the interviewers seriously and seems to be playing around with them, but it's still interesting and fairly entertaining to watch.
    Wish they could have included more of his short films, though. Hopefully they'll surface on DVD someday, as well his other Dutch feature that's not on DVD.

3. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Which short film is included?

Definitely, though which Dutch film do you say is not on DVD? Every film since Business is Business is.

4. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    None of Verhoeven's old shorts are included, and it is discussed very little. What it says on the back cover is basically BS.

The feature film not released on DVD is the war film Voorbij, voorbij (All Things Pass) a WWII drama he made for Dutch TV after Soldier of Orange.

5. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Yes, just re-checked IMDB. Hopefully it will arrive on DVD soon. It doesn't seem to be out in any region at all. So no old shorts on this disc, but what is the short film that is included?

By the way, do you have the Floris 3-disc DVD set? I wanted to buy it but apparently it doesn't have English subtitles. But it's got many extras and that makes me really want to get it... [​IMG]

6. Thomas J.

Thomas J. Stunt Coordinator

"All Things Pass" is only an hour long though, if I recall correctly, so I don't know if I'd consider it a feature. But, yeah, none of his shorts are on dvd aside from his episode of "Tales from the Darkside" (is that the series? It was one of those supernatural-themed series from the 80s if it wasn't indeed that one).

Stuff I'd like to see in Region 1:

His student films

His two naval films

"The Wrestler" short film; first collaboration with Jan De Bont.

All Things Pass

And, of course, "Floris."

His features are accounted for here in America, but a box set containing these other assorted odds and ends would be great -- a "Paul Verhoeven Collection Vol. 2," if you will, from Anchor Bay, I'd presume. And sorry if my information is a little wrong, but I'm not taking the time right now to double check my facts; I'm just writing off my memory. In any case, Verhoeven is my favorite director. Here's to more Verstappen films as well.[​IMG]

7. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

I remember in the commentary of STARSHIP TROOPERS he kept inferring that the film was a warning about the coming of Fascism to America

8. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    1. It would be cool if Anchor Bay could release a DVD of All Things Pass and his short films. Or even an R2 DVD. I know that for the big box set of Dutch Verhoeven films that was released in Holland last year, the company that put them out was trying to get his short films on there as well but couldn't get the rights. Hint, hint, Anchor Bay: Verhoeven's got a big WWII thriller coming out at the end of the year.

2. Okay, I checked my DVD again re: the so-called short film. It's a 30-second joke, and a very bad one at that. At Cannes last year, during the interview with Verhoeven, the filmmakers handed their digital videocamera to Paul and said 'you're the filmmaker now' or something to that effect, and let him shoot. All it consists of is the camera swinging around as it is passed from the filmmakers to Verhoeven, Verhoeven pointing it in a few random directions, and the sound of the filmmakers laughing. Verhoeven hands it back after 34 seconds.

9. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael

There is a very nice set of every episode of Floris in R2, along with a new documentary with Verhoeven and Rutger Hauer (who played Floris). Sadly, no English subs.

The nice thing about "That's It!" is that there is a Dutch menu and an Enlgish menu, where there are English subtitles for everything. There is even a phone call with Paul Verhoeven as a bonus feature, which you can listen to in Dutch or in English. I guess they first did the call in Dutch, and then had Verhoeven say the same things in English.

10. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Sounds like a fun DVD indeed. And for just 18 bucks, I can live with no actual short film. Michael, what about the other extras about Verhoeven's past films and the upcoming one?

As far as Floris, I'd order it, but no subtitles thing is a huge bummer... Why wouldn't they include them? Might there be a release in the UK, perhaps?

If I'm not mistaken, it's just being released in Holland in November or December of 2006, so a Stateside release would be in early 2007, if at all... [​IMG] And then he also has the Beast of Bataan - not sure if that's an American production or not.

11. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    The other special features on "That's It!" are outtakes from the Cannes interview, in which Verhoeven talks a bit about Soldier of Orange, Total Recall 2 (which was Minority Report), a movie that he had in development with Nicole Kidman that never happened, and his upcoming Black Book film.

I imagine Black Book will be out in the US shortly after its release in Holland, given Verhoeven's popularity here. Unless it's bad.

12. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    This is still R2, but since this thread was already here:

A new box set of Verhoeven's early shorts and television work will be released in Holland on September 12. The box contains just about all of his short films listed on imdb PLUS his later made-for-tv war film 'Voorbij, Voorbij' ('All Things Pass').

Everything will have commentary from Verhoeven - but I imagine it's in Dutch. No idea if there will be English subtitles.

A few more details, if you can read it: http://www.videofilmexpress.nl/html/...ent.asp?id=113

13. PaulP

PaulP Producer

That's great news. I'd pick it up if it had English subs.

14. donnie_d

donnie_d Stunt Coordinator

let's hope Tartan(UK) picks this bad boy and gives it the english-friendly treatment.

15. Curt_B

Curt_B Agent

Get ready for this, fans of PV: TOTAL RECALL is being released YET AGAIN, in some sort of 'Superbit' copycat deal-looking the best it will ever be, except for HD...
    How soon before a hi-bit SHOWGIRLS... ? :rofl:

16. PaulP

PaulP Producer

Hey Michael, have you heard any news on that Verhoeven shorts DVD? I found it for sale here: http://www.nlstore.nl/shop5/ShopExd....=8713053009976 - I'd buy it, if we could confirm English subs (and subs for commentaries). I'm hopeful, since the previous Dutch-only DVD (that I started this thread with) contained English subs.

P.S.: Another source (http://www.medioeurope.com/index.php...=8713053009976) states "English", but I'm not sure if they're entirely correct...

P.P.S.: Michael's source (http://www.videofilmexpress.nl/html/...ent.asp?id=113) also includes info on Floris: Collector's Edition. Any more info on that, as the Babelfish translation from Dutch makes it sound rather interesting but again no mention of English subs? It's available for sale here: http://www.nlstore.nl/shop5/ShopExd....=8713053009891

17. David (C)

David (C) Stunt Coordinator

Maybe: LIONSGATE will send the current transfer to a competent video colorist, Gregg Garvin of Modern VideoFilm?

I want a Verhoeven's DC of Recall and if that's not cost effective, than, what about just placing the surving/rough "form" footage?

There is a Jost Vacano commentary for the German DVD, how about porting it over to an r1 release?

18. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    I haven't heard anything more about the Verhoeven release, but I will post if I find out more.
    The Floris tv-show was fun, but they weren't exactly "high quality" productions. For Dutch folks it's great nostalgia, but I think for Americans it would only be a curiosity.