What's new

For Patrice Leconte fans (1 Viewer)

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
I picked up the recently released trio of UK region 2 DVDs of Leconte's Tango, Le Parfum d'Yvonne, and The Hairdressers Husband.

The good news: Great to have Tango and Le Parfum d'Yvonne, both anamorphic scope transfers. The actual transfers are not perfect but they're acceptable, and the movies, neither of which I'd seen, are up to Leconte's usual high standards. In fact, I have yet to see a Leconte film I didn't love, or at the worst, enjoy a lot.

The bad news: The Hairdresser's Husband, one of Leconte's best films, is presented here in an incorrect ratio - 1:85. It IS anamorphically enhanced, but the film is a 2.35 film and is a shambles at 1:85, with all the great scope compostions completely ruined. I have the French DVD (which has English subs) which, of course, is correctly presented at 2:35 even though the box rather stupidly says 1:85. So, buyer beware.

Irina

Second Unit
Real Name
Irina
I also got the three latest Leconte releases from UK a couple of days ago. I have watched Le Parfum d'Yvonne so far. One of Leconte's best. Great stuff.

Irina

Second Unit
Real Name
Irina
I watched the 'Hairdresser's Husband' (UK edition) yesterday. I think this movie is so great that even the incorrect recording ratio cannot ruin it. It's a wonderful movie.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
I completely agree about the film - but after just having seen it properly at 2:35 and comparing the framing, you'd be shocked at how badly Mr. Leconte's beautiful framing is compromised.

Now, we need Monsieur Hire.

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young
Good news, Hairdresser's Husband in full OAR just came to R1 land courtesy of Severin films. They even included two lengthy interviews on the DVD:

DVD Review: Hairdresser's Husband

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Blimey; ArthurMy, I thought I'd been transported back in time...

...just FYI, happily, Second Sight rectified their R2 mistake when they released their subsequent Patrice Leconte Collection (Hairdresser's Husband, Ridicule, Monsieur Hire, Le Parfum D'Yvonne, Tango) box set; all the films within are in anamorphic OAR.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Haven't seen either of these, but I seem to remember Hairdresser's Husband getting good reviews back in the day (and today). Both of these arrived this week, so hopefully, they'll be as good as I've read.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Apparently, The Hairdresser's Husband didn't sell too well...I really don't get that. It sure was an enjoyable movie. www.offscreen.com/biblio/pages/essays/david_gregory/ " it didn’t .. [sell] on DVD despite the fact that we had a beautiful transfer, some great extras, and it received great reviews." Very disappointing that this DVD didn't do too well.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Still, Severin is releasing Patrice Leconte's documentary Dogora on DVD and Blu-ray on April, 27

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks