1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

For our non-NTSC crowd... Can you hear the PAL speedup?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bernhard, Oct 23, 2001.

1. Bernhard

Bernhard Stunt Coordinator

I for one can... quite clearly actually. That's why 99% of my DVD collection consists of region 1 DVDs. I just can't stand hearing a movie's soundtrack and actor's voices at a wrong pitch... I made many comparisons and honestly can't believe people who claim they don't here any difference. Either they didn't try or just don't care.
    What about you guys?
    ------------------
    My current DVD Collection
    Ni !

2. Dominik Droscher

Dominik Droscher Supporting Actor

I am lucky and don't have a perfect pitch. Yes. I said lucky [​IMG]. The video quality is much more important for me so I am able to see the effects of 2/3 pull down (but I am getting used to it as most of my DVDs are NTSC).

3. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

I have to compare directly, and especially with music I can hear the difference. Afterwards I can usually hear the difference again. I'm so geeky, this bothers me more because I know it is there more than actually being able to pick up on it at once, but anyway that is why my DVD buying has gone from mostly R1 to only R1, with exceptions for European movies I suspect will not show up in the US.
    ------------------
    Click here if you want to see Looney Tunes on DVD!
    "You're 10 seconds away from the most embarrassing moment of your life!"
    Click here to admit you want to see Ford Fairlane on DVD!
    DVD List LD List

4. Gabe D

Gabe D Cinematographer

I can absolutely and clearly hear the difference. It's distracting to no end. I have trouble comprehending the fact that some people don't notice. It boggles the mind. (But, hey, good for them!)
    However, I'm part of the NTSC crowd, so maybe I should have kept my mouth shut. [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Gabe D on October 23, 2001 at 09:29 AM]

5. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

I also find it noticeable, but not all of the time. I can't say that I'm terribly bothered by it. Music definitely suffers from speedup more than mere speech does.

6. Justin B

Justin B Agent

I can hear the difference, but for movies it doesn't bother me. I'm more bothered by the NTSC artefacts than the PAL speedup. However, for music/concert DVD's they MUST be at the right pitch and tempo (I'm also a musician). Luckily, most of them are shot on video anyway so it's not an issue.

7. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

In side by side comparisons, absolutely, and just as much if I am used to how a movie should sound in watching it theatrically and in NTSC for so many years then suddenly hearing it in PAL however later down the line.
    Dan (UK)

8. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

I agree with most people, in that the pitch is immediately noticable with music...
    ------------------
    ~ Stud. Polyt. ~ Artur Meinild ~

9. mark_d

mark_d Second Unit

And I find it most noticable with speech. Hey ho.
    I don't have perfect pitch and I only notice it when I'm familiar with the material, but the -idea- that it's running fast offends me. It never did in the LD days, though - wierd, eh?
    I think it's because back then I only ever heard slowdown i.e. going PAL to NTSC. Lately I've become accustomed to NTSC sources then been exposed to PAL versions. Hearing the speedup is awful. Maximus' "Unleash hell" line, for example, sounded comical in PAL after NTSC. If I had never gotten used to the correct speed then it would not have been noticable.
    I don't care how much better the video on any given title is in R2 over R1 - I go for the correct speed every time. Luckily, I often find NTSC has a more appealing look than PAL for movies.
    Mark