For my system, do i need Denon 2900?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Bob_Campbell, Sep 30, 2003.

1. Bob_Campbell

Bob_Campbell Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased a 46" Toshiba HDTV. I do have a Panny dmr e80h, but like to use that as a recorder. I'm looking for a better quality picture and I'm not sure what good DVD players are out there. I've heard tons about the Denon line but don't know if it's going overboard, when i don't have a surround sound system as of yet. I do plan on piecing one together as the money comes in though. It just seems like I see in the local stores (best buy/ CC) the top priced models are about $300. The denon jumps to about 775-999. My question is WHY? Is it worth the extra money for me? Any thought as to what to do would be a help, or any suggestions of other makes or models with good overall satisfaction would be of a great help.

thanks,

Bob

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

No one "needs" a 2900, but many people want a 2900!

First, go here http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/main.html and read the DVD player shoot-out articles. That will tell you everything you want to know about perhaps the only truly objective player evaluation that exists.

FWIW, a $329 Denon 1600 scores higher than the $999 2900 in video tests.

Of course, what you may find is that some of the testing criteria and the flaws that they reveal may or may not matter to you, or you may simply not notice some of these flaws. At that point, you need to trust your eyeballs.

Some Denon's are very highly ranked, as are some Panasonics that are no longer available.

I am presently comparing the video performance of a top ranked player (Denon 1600) with a bottom feeder (Pioneer 45A). With certain poorly authored discs, its no contest in favor of the Denon. But with stuff that is correctly authored, the difference is only visible if you quickly A/B the two players with the same DVD playing on both, and even then its subtle, and not apparent unless you are really, really looking for it.

One more point; the 2900 is a universal player, whereas many of the $300 and down models are not (although some do add either DVD-A or SACD to the mix).

And when you get above $500 or so, you will normally get better build quality. Whether or not that translates to better performance is debateable, but the perception of quality does increase with price (usually).

BGL

3. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker Second Unit

If you are not objectable to having a refurb 2900 you can check Denon's website for units available at the refurb dealers online. Those are running $500-$550 but on back order at most of these dealers. Denon does have more units they are sending out in a couple of weeks but they go extremely fast.

It will be exciting to possibly catch one of Denon's 5900's refurbed in a year or so at a bargain price.

I know several HT buddies who have one of these refurb 2900's and they are extremely pleased with the video and audio performance.

4. Mike Dickerson

Mike Dickerson Stunt Coordinator

Mike
    You can also find some B-stock ones with a year warrenty for around 800.

You probably don't need a 2900 but once you've heard what an awesome job it does on sacd and dvd-a and what an (almost) perfect picture it produces you will get set on one!

5. Sonnie Parker

Actually one of their "B-Stock" stores was selling them with the 1 year warranty for around $600-$700... don't remember which one or exact amount.

I ordered one through clubmac.com for $549 + $4.95 shipping + $49.95 for a 2 year extended warranty. They are expecting shipments in on October 10.

6. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy

It scores higher b/c it has a couple less errors. On 99% of the movies I have watched, the 2900 will play error free. The 1600 is great, but the 2900 has a better, smoother, more detailed picture.

On some video based material (the 2900 the recent Scarface making-of for example) appears to exhibit the chroma bug. But I have yet to see any problems while watching any movies.

7. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

I picked a B-stock up from an authorized dealer with a one-year warranty for $689. I had tried to get one from E-cost and PCmall, but they always never seem to be in stock or already spoken for and on backorder. I simply got sick of playing the waiting game.

Reg

8. Sonnie Parker

Yep, I had called PCMall and E-cost but both stated they were not going to order anymore of the 2900's. Who really knows though... I suppose they could change their minds.

When I called Clubmac they told me I was backorder number 4 and they knew they were getting at least 10 units in because this is their minimum order from Denon. I called Denon to confirm and they would only tell me that they did have more refurbs they were shipping out within a couple of weeks.