For my music taste DVD-A or SACD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tommy_N, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Tommy_N

Tommy_N Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about making the switch to DVD-A or SACD. I remember Sony used to make units that played both, but I don't think they are still available. At least not in my price range, $300-400 give or take.

From what I've seen SACD has more titles available. I'm just wondering based on my musical choice which format would you suggest.

Also if you could suggest some artists and titles I might not be aware of.

I listen to a wide-range of music such as:

Sublime, Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Tool, NIN, Jimmy Buffett, DMB, Phish, Miles Davis, Sinatra, Massive Attack, The Doors, Particle, Deftones,Deep Bannana Blackout, Oasis. I also listen to a TON of Rap.

Most of the music is over-produced and filled with intentional distortion. With only a couple of exceptions none of the above are available in either format.

Thanks for any and all suggestions

Tom

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Tom, Miles Davis & the Rolling Bollos are on SACD. I know the Doors have atleast one DVD-A. You could buy a Pioneer combi-player the 45A which would proably compromise audio some but play anything. Or, spring for an a dedicated SACD/CD player from Sony, a 775 or ES222, maybe? Or, pick a DVD player that just includes DVD-A.

I think SACD is doing better, but Warner controls a zillion rock titles and they like's zee DVD-A. SACD just got Universal and they have alot of rock titles too. Some of the new Stone's hybrid SACD-CD's are too awesome. The latest one I've gotten is "12 x 5" and I think it's extreamely impressive and even more especially so because it's a mid-60's release. Grant-Lee Phillips' MOBILIZE is pretty good on stereo, hybrid SACD. Joe Satriani, Keb' Mo', Stevie Ray Vaughan, Creedence Clearwater Revival is coming soon, There are a bunch of Miles Davis releases < proably around 10...?

Jazz and classical are big on SACD and rock may be gaining? DVD-A has some big rock titles but Warner acts like they hardly care about the format's market! They've been releasing stuff at a snail's pace. I mean, Warners controls: Neil Young, Frank Zappa maybe? Faces, alot of Gordon Lighfoot, Fleetwood Mac, all kinds of stuff. So many players play DVD-A and there is so little to play. New titles are supposed to pick up but most of them are Silverline titles that vary more in quality than the Warner titles, in my experience anyway. Best wishes!

3. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

Tom,

I would recommend picking up a Panasonic RA60 DVD-A/video player for around 120.00 and a Sony SCD-775 carousel for about 180.00. That's 300.00 for DVD-A and SACD. The Panny is a decent DVD-A player but it doesn't have progressive scan - if you want progressive scan get a RP-82 instead and add another 90.00 to the price of the RA60 which'll then bring the total for the RP-82 AND Sony 775 to 390.00. I think this is the cheapest route to go for both formats, and I think bests any Universal player for a fraction of the money.

Reg

4. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

FWIW, Sony never made a machine that would play DVD-Audio. They are only interested in SACD, since this is the format they started. Since I have become a jazz fan, SACD has more to offer for me, plus the artists on Sony/Columbia label.

5. anthony_b

anthony_b Screenwriter

I own the Panasonic RA60 DVD-A....I highly recomed it as a DVD-A player and video as well !!

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Tommy, many people say DVD-Audio has the edge over SACD for rock titles, but I'm not sure I agree with that. There are some great rock titles out on DVD-Audio, but not that many. Software is lacking for DVD-Audio in general. Furthermore, Silverline has turned out a number of rock titles on DVD-Audio, but many of them are not studio albums, and none of them have high-resolution stereo tracks. All in all, I feel both formats offer good rock titles. It comes down to which formats offers more music you like. Www.highfidelityreview.com lists software available on both formats.
    By the way, I don't think either format offers rap titles.

7. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I'm also in the "get the 2 players and enjoy both formats for cheap" camp.

I have a Panny RP91 for DVDA and a Sony 775 for SACD.

BTW, Later this month these DVDA titles will be released:

Yes/ Fragile
    REM/ Automatic For The People
    Neil Young/ Harvest
    Donald Fagen/ Nightfly

plus REM's Reveal is already in the stores.

These are all excellent DVDA titles.

Also if you go DVDA, buy them thru CircuitCity.com!
    They have all these titles for $13.99 plus free shipping.

8. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

9. Michael Gilliam

Tommy,
    I also agree with the 2 separate players route. I have the Sony 775 for SACD and a JVC XV-SA75 which plays DVD-A, and love both. If you do pursue this, make sure your receiver has 2 multi-channel inputs available, or get a switcher, or get used to switching the inputs all the time. Though this may seem like a drawback, I don't feel a universal player is all that satisfactory (too many compromises), and besides, it will cost much more.
    The only rap title I'm aware of is Missy Elliot's "So..Addictive" on DVD-A. To make this matter worse, the one I got was edited, though it's not mentioned on the packaging. I'm not sure if an unedited version is available. If I had to place a bet on a format that would, in the future, provide more rap titles, it would be DVD-A due to the labels supporting it.
    It's difficult to say if one format is better than the other. Each have outstanding titles, and both have sub-par ones as well. At least the majority of DVD-A titles are multi-channel, while the majority of the SACD titles are stereo only. However, in recent months there have been more multi-channel releases on SACD which is a very welcome change.
    I personally believe buying both is the way to go if you're interested. 3 (Warner, EMI, & BMG) of the major record labels support DVD-A, while 2 (Sony & Universal) support SACD. I believe that the number of titles will continue to grow, and you'll be satisfied to have both formats, they have much to offer.

10. Tommy_N

Tommy_N Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your input and suggestions. Tough decsion. But my reciever only has one multichannel input, (Denon 38902) So I guess I would need a switcher of some-sort.

Thanks again

Tom

11. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Tommy,
    Don't let having one MC input stop you from enjoying both formats. I have the same thing. It's actually quite simple and cheap to set it up. Maybe you can do a Search in the A/V forum, or just ask us when you get the players.

12. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

Yep, I used 2 Radio Shack switchers to enable both SACD and DVDA for mys system the other night and it works!

Nothing finer that Multi-Channel sound in both SACD/DVDA.