What's new

For Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers Fans (1 Viewer)

Irina

Second Unit
Real Name
Irina
The great Astaire-Rogers 'Swing Time' is available from Editions Montparnasse (released on 02/15/2005; the French title is 'Sur les ailes de la danse'). The French subtitles are optional. Another great Astaire-Rogers set is available from the UK - The Fred and Ginger Collection. It includes 4 movies:
1. 'Top Hat'
2. 'Follow The Fleet'
3. 'Shall We Dance'
4. 'Carefree'.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
I just watched Swing Time. What a movie! Great to have it on DVD, although the transfer leaves a bit to be desired. Hopefully, Warners will have better materials to go from, although some of their RKO transfers haven't been so hot.

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
SWING TIME is actually a re-release in France, because I bought it, oh, 18 mos. ago or so, with TOP HAT. SWING TIME is my fave of the early Astaire musicals.

Irina

Second Unit
Real Name
Irina
Thank you for the information. I joined the region-free community relatively recently so I am learning a lot from the more seasoned viewers like you.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
I simply can't understand why more people don't have region free players - it's such a no-brainer and they're so inexpensive now. Some of my most prized DVDs are unavailable in region one, including Repulsion, Cul de Sac, A Matter of Life and Death, Colonel Blimp (much better than the horrid yellowish Criterion), all the Editions Montparnasse RKO titles, some of which may not ever see the light of day here, the fascinating 1:85 transfer of Dial M For Murder from Warners Germany, Bava's Blood and Black Lace, also from Germany, the Edgar Wallace box sets, L'Appartment (becoming my favorite movie from the nineties, all these Patrice Leconte films, including a properly presented 2:35 The Widow of St. Pierre (the region one is 1:85 and horrid), Anatomy of a Murder (correctly presented at 1:85 and enhanced), Cowboy (ditto), and on and on.

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
Me, either. Some people complain about the "4%" speedup, but I've had an all-region player for a couple of years now, and shown all-region discs to kids, teens, and adults, and nobody's noticed anything amiss.

You left out the single most important region to have an all-region player: the magnificent Laurel & Hardy discs from Europe. Absolute must-haves.

I'd also like to put in a word for the wonderful "Arkoff Vault" titles from DVD UK Ltd., which includes fun 1950s cult titles like WAR OF THE COLOSSAL BEAST, (EARTH VS.) THE SPIDER, DRAGSTRIP GIRL, SHAKE RATTLE & ROCK, ROCK ALL NIGHT, CONFESSIONS OF A SORORITY GIRL, THE UNDEAD, BLOOD OF DRACULA, and many others. Ten of the titles are available in very low-cost boxed sets of five discs each; highly recommended.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Yes, I have all the Arkoff titles mentioned above, and I also have the magnificent Laurel and Hardy set.

And I think those that complain about the speedup are just deluding themselves. I've watched hundreds of other region PAL DVDs and have never noticed or had a problem with such a thing. Does it depend on the player?

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
No, I think it depends on people who are chronic whiners. *L*

I meant "reason" when I said "region" in my last post, but you knew what I meant!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I agree. A modified (region-free) DVD-player is a must these days.

Cees

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Don't forget the great Carry On boxset from the U.K., the Terry Thomas Collection Robin of Sherwood, Blake's 7, Spaced, and The Calcium Kid.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
And the very entertaining Tex Avery set from France - they may not be totally and newly remastered, but the set is cherce and gets a lot of play here. Also, from the UK, anamorphic transfers of Tiger Bay and Whistle Down the Wind, both must-haves for Hayley fans.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks