What's new

for fans of The WHO only (1 Viewer)

Misha Scott

Auditioning
This is a excerpt from an interview Pete Towshend did with internet newpaper "Sign On San Diego", published on 02 January 2002.

"...I've made a very real commitment now to go into the studio with The Who at the end of October of 2002, with a producer and a record deal, and to put out whatever we come up with, even if it's rubbish..."

This is probably frightening news for some of you. Personally, I will await the new Who album (the first in 20 years if it actually materializes) with more anxious anticipation than an average six-year-old has regarding Christmas.

Regards,

Meesh

Dan B

Screenwriter
I have a feeling that Pete will back out of it somehow, but you never know. I don't think he's interested in writing "Who songs" anymore, so the result could be different than anything they've put out before.

Also, Jon's deaf and lost his voice, and Roger is finally showing his age & lost some of his vocal power as well. Pete is godlike, though, and they are still superb onstage.

I'm a huge fan of the band, and would rather see them live than anyone, but I don't have my hopes up for this album.

-Dan

MikeAW

Second Unit
Here's the link for that story...
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/f...99_1c1who.html
Townshend has also guested on Bowie's new one, produced by Tony Visconti...
http://www.sonicnet.com/news/story.jhtml?id=1451554
But the most interesting project is the remastering of the Who's first album "My Generation" by original tapes owner and infamous record producer Shel Talmy. All of this after Talmy tried to sell the tape masters on eBay and failed.
The details are from Talmy's own website, for the alleged tracklisting and recording details...
http://www.sheltalmy.com/whotapes.htm
Supposedly notorious Townshend brother-in-law/producer Jon Astley and Townshend will stay on the sidelines for this one...so the official word is, anyway.
Great, all around, Who website....
http://www.thewho.net/

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
Please let this not happen.
I was horrified to learn that the Who were going back into the studio a couple years ago and delighted when they gave up on it. Just let it go. The catalog of Who material is among the best in rock and roll; there is nothing left to prove. The reunion tours and the covers of "Fire" and "Saturday Night's All Right For Fighting" were a fine denoument to an excellent career.
For the record, I'm a huge fan of the Who.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i would love to hear anything new by thw who. i was somewhat dissapointed by pete's most recent solo album.
i read last year that pete would write a new album then decide if it was good they would record but if he didn't like it he would dump it.
counting vhs, lp, cd, dvd and others i can't think of i have practicly everything recorded by the who and as solo artists. so you might say i'm a fan.:)

MikeAW

Second Unit
Andrew, I agree with you, they should give it up. But I feel they are faced with a business problem.

Their re-mining of the old stuff can only go so far, as evidenced by their striking a deal with Talmy. Townshend has taken on the roll of group archivist and Keeper of the Flame, and really took a pummeling in the online groups for his and his brother-in-laws remaster declicked digital diddling that resulted in the "Live At Leeds...Deluxe" release...Pete was really upset at the comparisons to bootlegs of the concert.

His his own dot.com business is doing reasonably well starting the with box set release of "Lifehouse" and other things. He realizes that the group can only greatest hits tour, and greatest hits release...see the recent spate of DVD's, "Quadrophrenia" and "Royal Albert Hall"...so much and must generate new product.

What's a "poor boy" to do ?

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I am almost frightened at the prospect but will buy it nevertheless...hell I flew to London to see them do Quadrophenia in Hyde park, whats $15 for a cd?

Wrote the below blurb after the last tour and it got published in the SJ mercury News...still feel that way

Grant

Last week I went to The Who and I thought they put on a fine show, but it's just not the same when the parking lot is full of SUVs instead of Lambrettas. I sort of felt like Jimmy, disgusted with the lot.

MikeAW

Second Unit
Grant, and everyone...

Have you heard...CD, DVD, Tv "American" concert....or seen them live, lately since their Bridge Benefit performance ?

What's your opinion ?

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I got the PPV (should have waited for the DVD) live at albert hall. I really wanted to see weller & oasis play with band. I think the unique setting and extra people gave Pete & Roger extra reasons to put out a great performance.

But it is ironic tha the band who became famous for the line 'hope I die before I get old", is still touring when they are old enough to be grandfathers.

I almost wish they broke up after Keith died. I remember when the Jam broke up because "they didn't want to turn into the rolling stones" and I was devastated. Looking back, it was the smartest thing in the world.

Pete would have did the solo stuff like empty glass ...and roger and pete would have done car commericals or something

(saw the 'roger does townsend' show a while back...not proud of that statement)

Listened to 'Who are you', yesterday and thought to myself how great it sounded. Sister Disco didn't weather the years well; but it was great at the time

G

Vic_T

Stunt Coordinator
I would be excited if they released the quadrophonic mix of Quadrophenia as a DVD audio (as well as some of the other great quadrophonic releases of the 70's).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks