For DirecTV: RCA or Hughes better hardware

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rob Dawn, May 10, 2001.

1. Rob Dawn

Rob Dawn Stunt Coordinator

I'm going to be picking up a DirecTV system in the very near future (can't pick DISH since they don't have NFL Sunday Ticket) and I was wondering what you all thought of the hardware by RCA & Hughes.
    If you love your equipment, let me know.
    If you've had problems with it or the company's customer service let me know.
    (The menus are subjective, so don't worry about your opinions on those; I'll check them out at the store.)
    Thanks for your input,
    Rob

2. Mark Wolverton

Mark Wolverton Stunt Coordinator

Rob, I actually owned both. The first setup I had was a hughes. I loved it. As a matter of fact I am still using the hughes dual LNB dish I first bought. Unfortunately my XOL ripped off my receiver and I never got ot back.
    I bought a Sony after that. I didn't like it as much as my hughes but i liked it a lot better than my roommates RCA. I didn't like the RCA's for the longest time until I bought one with Dolby Digital AC-3. At first I didn't like it because the menus were too slow. After some kind of online upgrade it got a lot better and I really like it.
    However, I recently bought the Sony Ultimate TV for Direc TV and I don't know how I ever lived without it. It has two tuners built in so I can watch one and record another or record two at the same time. It also has Web TV which is very marginal at best. Rca also makes the Ultimate version. The main difference between the two is with the RCA the keyboard is $50.00 extra but the Sony comes with the keyboard and costs $50.00 more.
    I don't know if that helps any at all but all I can say is start out right and get the ultimate TV version of whatever you buy!
    ------------------
    Mark W
    "I like to watch."
    Chauncy Gardner - Being There -

3. DarrinH

DarrinH Second Unit

Hughes beats RCA hands down. I have a Hughes gold and platinum receiver. I installed a system for my father that was an RCA basic model so I have seen both. The remote for the RCA equipment is a little too big.
    ------------------
    The EC
    The Entertainment Cave
    "People that talk in metaphors oughta shampoo my crotch"

4. Robert Houghton

Hughes
    ------------------

5. Patrick Ferrara

Hughes menus are quicker and you can look at what else is on without having to leave the viewing area.